BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(02-05-2024, 05:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not wanting to sidetrack the Newsnight thread but with Newsnight for a long-time now being probably the only network news programme to get end credits just wondering if BBC1 bulletins ever had any kind of credits?

Although there have been periods in its history where they have done only endboard credits.

(02-05-2024, 05:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not wanting to sidetrack the Newsnight thread but with Newsnight for a long-time now being probably the only network news programme to get end credits just wondering if BBC1 bulletins ever had any kind of credits?

Not that I can ever remember, no.

I’ve never really understood why on standard news bulletins end credits are generally either non-existent or very minimal.

Is there any reason why someone working on the production of a news programme isn’t deemed as worthy of a credit as someone working on the production of, say, Homes Under The Hammer? It seems an odd convention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie

(02-05-2024, 06:21 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’ve never really understood why on standard news bulletins end credits are generally either non-existent or very minimal.

Is there any reason why someone working on the production of a news programme isn’t deemed as worthy of a credit as someone working on the production of, say, Homes Under The Hammer? It seems an odd convention.

Probably because there is more of shared roles and rotas against a weekly programme?

It`s rare around the world to see credits on news bulletins, besides the main editor which is named on some of them like TVE and RAI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lec_Ver16's post:
  • Spencer

(02-05-2024, 06:31 PM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  Probably because there is more of shared roles and rotas against a weekly programme?

It`s rare around the world to see credits on news bulletins, besides the main editor which is named on some of them like TVE and RAI.

Happily, ITN has always been the exception and they do give good credits to a lot of staff on their bulletins. Not just editorial and gallery staff either, sometimes staff from, for example, MCR get a credit as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes itsrobert's post:
  • chevron

(02-05-2024, 07:10 PM)itsrobert Wrote:  Happily, ITN has always been the exception and they do give good credits to a lot of staff on their bulletins. Not just editorial and gallery staff either, sometimes staff from, for example, MCR get a credit as well.

Channel 4 News, especially - though I did like those ‘images of the day’ sequences when the Evening News launched that allowed some breathing space and a set piece close.

I think RepScot might be the only BBC nations / regions programme with at least some kind of credits - one or two regions tried it around the 90s the years (NWT, Wales Today, Look North Newcastle) but never to the extent some ITV regions did.

Granada Tonight, in particular, always seemed to list the studio crew over the editorial staff - but then, it was far more a general magazine show than your standard regional news.

(02-05-2024, 06:31 PM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  It`s rare around the world to see credits on news bulletins, besides the main editor which is named on some of them like TVE and RAI.

In some countries - I think Italy is one - the photographer gets a credit on reports.

As I've probably posted on here before, I've got thousands of hours of telly on air and only had one on-screen credit. Some roles just don't.
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • lookoutwales, Spencer, Stuart

(02-05-2024, 06:31 PM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  It`s rare around the world to see credits on news bulletins, besides the main editor which is named on some of them like TVE and RAI.
Rare in terms of a set of end credits, yes, but quite a few countries - like France - will list everyone involved in producing each report at the end of it which always seemed very egalitarian to me:

i.postimg.cc 
[-] The following 2 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • lookoutwales, Spencer

Germany do that at the end of reports as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Spencer

At the end of Radio 4 and occasionally on World Service news programmes they do name check the studio directors and programme editors.

I've never noticed they don't do that on the TV news but it would be a nice touch if they did

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • lookoutwales