BBC News Pres: Nostalgia

(02-05-2024, 09:19 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Germany do that at the end of reports as well.

Thanks so much for mentioning that. I did some freelance camera work for DW earlier this year. I’ve never bothered to check until now, but I’ve just found the report online, and yes, I’ve had my first ever TV name credit! Totally made my day! Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, lookoutwales, RhysJR, thegeek, TVFan

Here in Ireland, RTE Radio 1 does that too - as well as a few other local stations (I think) although at the end of shows

Over the years it's generally been the case that BBC News bulletins haven't ended with a copyright notice either, apart from a period around the late 80s/early 90s, particularly on the Nine when it came from the newsroom set.

There was a time, of course, up until the 1981 revamp where, other than on the Nine, there was no closing sequence on BBC bulletins at all - the newsreader's name would simply appear on screen and they would hand straight to the weather forecast.

So this is both Nostalgia and current ... being the 10th of May it is Happy 25th Anniversary to the now iconic BBC News music composed by David Lowe. Makes me feel old that it first hit our screens 25 years ago today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NickyS's post:
  • chrisherald

Looks as if the 25th anniversary might be being marked throughout today, presumably on the News Channel?

x.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Stuart, Worzel

For anyone interested in a longer form interview with David about the BBC News themes, this is an interesting and fun listen!

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Worzel's post:
  • chrisherald

I remember watching the new look on this day in 1999 and was so happy they had finally ditched the computer generated studio design of 1993 - yes, there music was fantastic, but the look of the set was so dated come 1997 and they still had problems with the virtual reality of the set.

The new set looked decent, with the window into the BBC News Centre, which had only opened the year before.

I was lucky enough to get to visit BBC Television Centre back then a few times, and got to see N6 where the main bulletins were presented from. In fact it was a fairly small studio, but with wide angle lenses on the camera, it made it look and feel bigger on screen.

I think the 1999 initial look was excellent, and in December 2001 they decided to add some warmth to the set, with more red panels, a smaller news desk and a tweak to the window into the news centre, which I think made the set look even better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald

Some ancient WBR titles uploaded onto YouTube today, including a couple at the start that probably havent been seen in a very long time:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like TVHead's post:
  • AndrewP, DTV, harshy, itsrobert, msim, Rolling News

Good to be reminded of the annoyance of the 'barcode' opening titles being out of sync with the music for the full seven years they were on air. The closing titles managed to be in time, so it always seemed a little bit of an oversight for the resolution of the opening to not match the final two notes of the theme, especially as they seem to have been consciously designed to match the music.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chrisherald

(13-05-2024, 12:50 PM)DTV Wrote:  Good to be reminded of the annoyance of the 'barcode' opening titles being out of sync with the music for the full seven years they were on air. The closing titles managed to be in time, so it always seemed a little bit of an oversight for the resolution of the opening to not match the final two notes of the theme, especially as they seem to have been consciously designed to match the music.

I think both sets of titles before were like that too. More so the barcode syncing annoyed me too