Top of the Pops

Subtitles on 24/11/1994 were from the original broadcast

[Image: MDgL3Kr.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • Happy2001

Chances are they probably all are.

(09-06-2023, 10:01 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Chances are they probably all are.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Subtitles from that era tend to be "summarised", in that whole sentences are re-worded in order to keep the subtitles on screen for longer, as there was the belief at the time that people would not be able to read the subtitles at the same speed as what was being said on screen. These days that style looks odd and we're much more used to subtitles accurately reflecting what people have said on screen.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • bilky asko

(09-06-2023, 10:01 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Chances are they probably all are.

I don't think they are - I haven't seen that copyright message at the end before. Plus whenever the presenters say something like "next week TOTP is on at" or "don't forget TOTP2" channel names are written as BBC One / Two in the post-1997 spellings. But todays repeat simply used BBC2.

The thing that tipped me off early on was the things they used to do that they don't do now, like the background colour being blue to indicate a robotic voice, a red background for shouting, etc.
[-] The following 3 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • bilky asko, Happy2001, Nobby

The Jarvis episode with Oasis and Elastica featuring really feels like Britpop has arrived, thank god.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

The first episode we had this week is the Lily Savage episode where for some reason it's announced that Celine Dion and Mariah Carey are live by satellite, even though both are proper videos, shot on film and edited and quite clearly aren't live performances.

The Celine Dion video was made specially for TOTP, but still can't in any be confused with being performed live. I guess it's possible both videos were being sent to Elstree over satellite, but it's still strange they chose to announce both as if they were live.

Here's the two episodes BBC4 are skipping over. Needless to say, there's a Gary Glitter warning:

we.tl 

Also come across on YouTube the full versions of the Celine Dion and Mariah Carey videos TOTP somehow claimed were "live by satellite" even though they clearly weren't live

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

Quite a fair bit at the end of the Celine video that TOTP themselves never showed (even though the video was made for them). When they reshowed the Mariah video on the 22/12 edition (the Gary Glitter one), they'd actually added the words "Top Of The Pops" to the opening of the video (which wasn't there on the original showing)

TOTP did show the more familar videos for both songs on later editions (they alternated both videos during their chart runs).

Also interesting Celine was, acording to the caption, already on her 7th week on the chart on the song's first appearance on the 1st December, but didn't reach number 1 even after then for another 2 months- must have been very rare for a song to take so long to climb (not to mention staying at number 1 for 7 weeks after such a slow climb), especially as we're into the start of the era of songs going straight in at number one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Happy2001

Watching those episodes and seeing the power rangers video reminds me how even as a kid I noticed watching the show there was something "off" about how all the fight scenes looked compared to the rest of the show, back then I didn't know it was footage shot for a Japanese show years earlier. Even back then I clearly picked up on the different film stock, grading etc and how it didn't fully mesh.

Similar to how even as a kid I picked up how on watching old TV shows I noticed how stuff shot outside looked "worse" than stuff shot inside- again, as a kid with no idea about the technicalities of film vs video, I just had this assumption that the cameras didn't work as well outside. I guess I had that technical mind even then to notice these sorts of things.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • DE88, JAS84, Si-Co

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger was actually only one year older than Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, they were adapting a 1992 series in 1993. They always adapted the previous year's Sentai until 2009 (RPM, based on 2008's Engine Sentai Go-Onger), then when it moved to Nickelodeon in 2011 and the seasons became shorter, they started taking two years to adapt one, resulting in some being skipped and adaptations no longer only being one year behind the source material. The 2021-22 series Power Rangers Dino Fury was based on Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger, which is from 2019.

1995 begins on the 14th July:

7pm - 5/1/95 (R Kelly Edited Out)
7:30pm - 12/1/95
8pm - 12/7/90
8:30pm - 16/7/81
www.bbc.co.uk