Top of the Pops

Good they're able to cut R Kelly out considering he's a heavily promoted exclusive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Happy2001

Some wonderful subtitling there, someone doesn't know the difference between Gary and Darren

[Image: 5m33vfc50rqr.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Happy2001

I’m curious, back when I first got HD in the US (probably a midway adopter) in 2007 there was a show called London Live.  I had a friend in the UK and talked about it and he said it was Top of the Pops. Seeing this made me wonder if it’s the same show or completely different. The channelMojo HD that it was on no longer exists but it appears to be available on Ovation TV’s website.

The end card says a 2009 3DD Production for Channel 4. The shows IMDB is limited.  Could this just be a re edit of the show for UK and international syndication?

(22-07-2023, 08:31 AM)rkolsen Wrote:  I’m curious, back when I first got HD in the US (probably a midway adopter) in 2007 there was a show called London Live.  I had a friend in the UK and talked about it and he said it was Top of the Pops. Seeing this made me wonder if it’s the same show or completely different. The channelMojo HD that it was on no longer exists but it appears to be available on Ovation TV’s website.

The end card says a 2009 3DD Production for Channel 4. The shows IMDB is limited.  Could this just be a re edit of the show for UK and international syndication?

That wouldn't be TOTP, that ended as a weekly series in 2006.

Actually if you scroll down to 'connections' on imdb it says "edited from The Album Chart Show".
[-] The following 2 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • bilky asko, Happy2001

Also TOTP is BBC, not Channel 4.

London Live is an odd name for a TV show, considering it's also the name of a local TV channel.

(22-07-2023, 08:31 AM)rkolsen Wrote:  I’m curious, back when I first got HD in the US (probably a midway adopter) in 2007 there was a show called London Live.  I had a friend in the UK and talked about it and he said it was Top of the Pops. Seeing this made me wonder if it’s the same show or completely different. The channelMojo HD that it was on no longer exists but it appears to be available on Ovation TV’s website.

The IMDb entry suggests it was edited from "The Album Chart Show". Here is one example of the programme - a Jamiroquai special:

www.youtube.com 

EDIT: A later example shows it was a segment within T4, which perhaps explains why it's not particularly well-known:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Happy2001

(22-07-2023, 01:44 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Also TOTP is BBC, not Channel 4.

London Live is an odd name for a TV show, considering it's also the name of a local TV channel.
Presumably they came to the conclusion the US audience wouldn’t be confused between this programme and the little watched UK local TV channel that hadn’t been thought of yet.
[-] The following 16 users Like Jon's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, bilky asko, DE88, DeMarkay, Happy2001, James2001, Joe, Keefy, Larry the Loafer, Pips2022, strollfan, stusoldvideo, thomash79, TVNerd, WhoOdyssey

(22-07-2023, 02:34 PM)Jon Wrote:  Presumably they came to the conclusion the US audience wouldn’t be confused between this programme and the little watched UK local TV channel that hadn’t been thought of yet.

The show ended way before the channel launched.

(22-07-2023, 01:41 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  That wouldn't be TOTP, that ended as a weekly series in 2006.

Actually if you scroll down to 'connections' on imdb it says "edited from The Album Chart Show".
I didn’t see the last part. Sorry. Rolleyes

The video for Fame shown on the 1982 episode BBC4 showed this week was made specially for TOTP, though I've seen it shown on Now 80s- with some footage from the middle of the video looped at the beginning and end, presumably to hide the fact the video itself doesn't have a beginning or end.

Here's something I came across. On TOTP 9/4/2004 (which was a live show), they had Eminem and D12 perform 'My Band'. As either mentioned on the blue place or on DS, that performance was controversial as they let out F-Bombs (which escaped Ofcom notice), but did get in trouble with Ofcom for the dance moves which involved grabbing their crotch. (The Ofcom report mentions some rehearsal performances were recorded for repeat use)

However a week later 17/4/2004, on the Saturday morning kids version of the show - TOTP Saturday - they show the performance. And the F-Bombs managed to get past compliance. Listen around 4:25-4:30

youtu.be 

It's one thing for a live show like Going Live, but how did a pre-recorded show let this slip past compliance?
[-] The following 2 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • Happy2001, LouBlu08