Top of the Pops

Friday 8th September:
8:45pm - 6/9/84
9:15pm - 7/9/78 (2:40am for original 40 minute show)
www.bbc.co.uk 

Last week of The Proms so 1995 could begin again from the 15th.

BBC Four provisional schedule for Friday 15th September:
7pm - TOTP: 1995
7:30pm - TOTP: 1995
8pm - TOTP: 1989
8:30pm - TOTP: 1985

Not entirely related, but I remembered that Tuesday was the 25th anniversary of the final ITV Chart Show (which means next Tuesday is the 25th of the first SM:TV/CD:UK... I feel scared). I've uploaded it here:

we.tl 

Though at the end of the episode they show Robert Palmer as the "first" video ever shown, someone who viewed the first episode at the BFI a few years back said it was actually INXS (plus that clip is dated 2/5/86, which was actually the 4th episode).

Also look for a young pre-fame Danny Dyer in the Mansun video!
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • DE88, Happy2001, Roger Darthwell

(22-07-2023, 01:49 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  The IMDb entry suggests it was edited from "The Album Chart Show". Here is one example of the programme - a Jamiroquai special:

www.youtube.com 

EDIT: A later example shows it was a segment within T4, which perhaps explains why it's not particularly well-known:

www.youtube.com 
As a Jamiroquai fan, I'm quite happy to see The Album Chart Show get a mention. Quite a good set!

Friday 15th September:
7pm - 19/1/95 (R Kelly Edited Out)
7:30pm - 26/1/95
8pm - 14/9/89
8:30pm - 12/9/85
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Happy2001's post:
  • PWD

Friday 22nd September:
7pm - 2/2/95
7:30pm - 16/2/95
8pm - 22/9/88
8:30pm - 24/9/81 (3:15am for 40 minute show)

9/2/95 skipped due to R Kelly being shown during the 40-11 chart rundown:
www.bbc.co.uk 

A shame we're losing the Gary Olsen episode, I'll upload it when the time comes.

On a related not, at the end of the episode, he plugs the new series of Health and Efficiency. Sort of a strange show, as it's sort-of a spin-off of 2point4 Children (the credits are even in the exact same font and colour), as it has Vic McGuire playing the same character he did in the final episode of series 2, but then you also have Gary Olsen in the lead role playing a completely different character, and Roger Lloyd Pack also in a different role to the one he played on 2point4 Children.

Interestingly in the first of today’s 1995 eps, Bruno Brookes at the end teased a new look with Eternal hosting next week.

However the second episode is with Eternal but the old look still lingers on. It wasn’t until a few more weeks later with Kylie hosting is when the new look debuts.

I’m guessing the TOTP revamp must have been delayed for some reason?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Eternal episode was filmed at TVC as the new set was being built at Elstree, don't know if it's true though. It is quite a basic set up in that episode though missing the scaffolding and towers and other usual set pieces, so it could be a sign they set up something quick and basic at TVC for that week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

(15-09-2023, 08:51 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I'm sure I read somewhere that the Eternal episode was filmed at TVC as the new set was being built at Elstree, don't know if it's true though. It is quite a basic set up in that episode though missing the scaffolding and towers and other usual set pieces, so it could be a sign they set up something quick and basic at TVC for that week.

Steve Williams basically confirms it

twitter.com 

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like TIGHazard's post:
  • DE88, Happy2001