Top of the Pops

A stream doesn't count the same as one bought for download or physical single. It's 100 streams to 1 sale for the least amount of effort. It's not ideal but it's a far more accurate system to what's popular than a purely sales chart.

Not sure what sort of viewing figures the Christmas Day Top of the Pops has had in recent years, but scheduling it when a lot of people are having their Christmas Dinner didn't exactly set it up for success.

I can see why an Elstree production filmed over several days with a studio audience (which I've been part of a couple of times) might be considered too expensive a proposition for that kind of time slot.

Found these ratings elsewhere:

2015: 2.83m
2016: 1.92m
2017: 2.0m
2018: 2.3m
2019: 1.8m

Can't find anything after that.

(05-12-2022, 12:08 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Found these ratings elsewhere:

2015: 2.83m
2016: 1.92m
2017: 2.0m
2018: 2.3m
2019: 1.8m

Can't find anything after that.
Christmas Day Top Of The Pops overnights:
2021: 1.46 Million

Pre 2015:

2006 - 2.9 Million
2007 - 3.2 Million
2008 - 3.7 Million
2009 - 3.4 Million
2010 - 4 Million
2011 - 3.9 Million
2012 - 3.88 Million
2013 - 3.1 Million
2014: 3.01 Million

I'll be honest, I didn't even bother watching last year's Christmas Day show. As a 45 year old, there's hardly any current chart music that appeals to me any more. I reckon that most people who are criticising the BBC for moving TOTP from its traditional Christmas Day slot would not have watched it anyway. Today's target audience get their music fix from a variety of different sources, but very few of those will be bothered to watch an annual reboot of an old TV show whose weekly counterpart was axed over 16 years ago. Which was the main reason why the weekly show was pulled in the first place. The gradual decline in the ratings of the Christmas Day show in recent years also backs this up. It's a shame in lots of ways but the simple fact remains- TOTP was great for its time but it's no longer needed in today's pop landscape.
[-] The following 4 users Like Argyess's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, JAS84, jaymadz

TOTP would have looked even more out of place on BBC2 amongst the films from the 40s and 50s and repeats of Dad's Army than it would have on BBC1 where kids who had been watching an animated film would maybe have recognised a song or two, that's if it were going to be shown during the day as normal.

Re. the wider picture, TOTP going means the amount of variety in the BBC schedules is further reduced. I don't see how the umpteen pany cooking shows or increasing number of cut and paste dramas about folk getting killed which caters to a select demographic is indicative of public service broadcasting.

(05-12-2022, 04:35 PM)Argyess Wrote:  I'll be honest, I didn't even bother watching last year's Christmas Day show. As a 45 year old, there's hardly any current chart music that appeals to me any more.  I reckon that most people who are criticising the BBC for moving TOTP from its traditional Christmas Day slot would not have watched it anyway.  Today's target audience get their music fix from a variety of different sources, but very few of those will be bothered to watch an annual reboot of an old TV show whose weekly counterpart was axed over 16 years ago.  Which was the main reason why the weekly show was pulled in the first place.  The gradual decline in the ratings of the Christmas Day show in recent years also backs this up.  It's a shame in lots of ways but the simple fact remains- TOTP was great for its time but it's no longer needed in today's pop landscape.
It‘s the gradual decline in the ratings of all Xmas TV shows- except it feels like it’s happened fairly quickly. And a deterioration in the variety (and quality) of shows over the holidays- the BBC suffers especially from the lack of comedies. Viewing is obviously fragmented now, but that most recent Gavin and Stacey Xmas special shows that bumper ratings are there if you can unlock them.

Top Of The Pops: Review Of The Year 2022 confirmed to be on Christmas Eve at 10:40pm on BBC Two
www.bbc.co.uk 

Personally I think it's a pity the BBC axed (or at least didn't recommission) 'Sounds Like Friday Night'. By not being TOTP the format wasn't as tied to the latest charts and they could easily of had 'Sounds like 2022' or 'Sounds like Christmas'. Plus there is now the BBC Sounds app.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, DeMarkay, PWD, TVNerd, W1ll

(04-12-2022, 09:29 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  A stream doesn't count the same as one bought for download or physical single. It's 100 streams to 1 sale for the least amount of effort. It's not ideal but it's a far more accurate system to what's popular than a purely sales chart.

It's not even that because they have different stream to sale ratios for things like older records, "songs in decline" and a limit on how many songs an artist can have in the charts at once (after Ed Sheeran kept taking the entire top 10 every time he released an album), so it really isn't representative of anything any more.

BBC4's TOTP subtitles are now extremely informative and helpful Wink

[Image: n9f42a544eq1.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • The Decimator