Top of the Pops

(24-12-2022, 08:59 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Why is it wrong to parody a song about famine relief, with the blessing of the originators, to raise money for food banks?

It's making a point about how in 40 years we've gone from being a rich country raising money for developing countries to a situation where a significant proportion of the country is reliant on charity hand outs to eat.

An uncomfortable truth for some but I don't think that it's an inappropriate way to call attention to it

To change lyrics about people dying to Martin Lewis and sausage rolls is what's wrong. I don't think LadBaby or anyone else needs to call attention to a situation we have never been done hearing about in recent times.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • Kojak, PatrZDZ

On the plus side, I always prefer Top of the Pops with two presenters.

On the negative side, that wasn’t Top of the Pops.

As others have said, might as well have called it Radio 1’s Review of the Year or something similar.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • DE88, watchingtv

Not sure if they're using a re-edit if the current Smashie and Nicey special BBC Four are broadcasting right now?

It says that it was first broadcast on 4th January 1994, but have just shown a Spice Girls performance from 1996.

Yes, this is a re-edit shown in 2001.

I've got a copy of the original 1994 version, uploading it later.

Edit: here it is

we.tl 
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Happy2001

I wonder why they dubbed better quality soundtracks on some of the very old clips (like Sonny and Cher) but not The Righeous Brothers clip.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

The Sonny and Cher performance is interesting if you ever see the full thing, as it switches from video to a telerecording part way though- presumably neither the VT or TR are complete, so they had to stitch the two together.

I might be wrong, but I think at one point, that Stevie Wonder perfomance was all that was known to survive from 1966, though more has come to light later. There's certainly very little surviving TOTP from 66 regardless, much less than any other year (Popscene lists a grand total of 6 surviving performances, and a Cliff Richard video). With the 40th birthday DVD where they had a performance from every year, they had two performances from 1965 because they couldn't afford to clear anything that existed from 1966.
  • The Decimator

The original version has also been recently uploaded to YouTube:

www.youtube.com 

Given that the original version uses a different style of scrolling caption, and also that the transitions from the clips back to the studio are different, for the 2001 version it looks like the archive clips must all have been reinserted from the original source material (omitting Glitter and adding some more recent clips) - so therefore this version amounts to a complete rebuild rather than merely a re-edit, which seems like a lot of trouble to go to for what was a reshowing at 10.15 at night in 2001.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robert Williams's post:
  • Happy2001

(07-01-2023, 09:32 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  The original version has also been recently uploaded to YouTube:

www.youtube.com 

Given that the original version uses a different style of scrolling caption, and also that the transitions from the clips back to the studio are different, for the 2001 version it looks like the archive clips must all have been reinserted from the original source material (omitting Glitter and adding some more recent clips) - so therefore this version amounts to a complete rebuild rather than merely a re-edit, which seems like a lot of trouble to go to for what was a reshowing at 10.15 at night in 2001.

Ian Dury And The Blockheads & Bing Crosby were also removed from the 2001 version.

(07-01-2023, 09:32 AM)Robert Williams Wrote:  The original version has also been recently uploaded to YouTube:

www.youtube.com 

Even that YouTube version's been edited down- the Beatles performance at the end, including the credits, has been removed, it just cuts straight from Bryan Adams to the copyright caption. That YouTube upload is nearly 3 minutes shorter than the version I uploaded, which means more must have been removed than the Beatles performance, but I haven't been through it all to see what else.
  • DE88