Top of the Pops

They'd have to fade to black and do remade credits that way with the theme tune then.

These clips came up on my youtube recommended yesterday

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

I was interested in what it came from and found this press release

www.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:BBC PRIME, the great British entertainment channel, will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Top of the Pops with a special New Years Eve music countdown. Throughout November and December, BBC Prime viewers across Europe, the Middle East and Africa will be able to vote for their favourite music acts from a selection pop classics from the past 40 years via the BBC Prime website www.bbcprime.com/totp40 .

The Top of the Pops anniversary special will be exclusively hosted for BBC Prime by singer Melanie C, first known to many as Sporty Spice from the international pop sensation, the Spice Girls. The music acts will be broadcast in order, as voted by viewers, on Wednesday 31 December from 22:00 CET. This is the first time all BBC Prime viewers have been able to join in a single, international vote to decide scheduling.

The BBC Prime Top of the Pops voting website enables BBC Prime viewers to watch clips of some of the biggest names in pop performing on the show over the past 40 years. These include Abba, Paul McCartney, Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen and Elton John. Viewers then vote for their favourite clips and can watch the New Years Eve special to see the results.

I'll be honest, even though it will likely just be the same old archive clips we've seen again and again during the repeat run, I do want to know what the viewer vote order was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • DE88

Do you think the TOTP2 previews at the end of the programme will be left in when they start in September? They did leave the Live Aid plug on screen in when they reran 1985 and still showed competitions some 35-40 years after the closing date.

(17-03-2023, 12:13 AM)Division2023 Wrote:  Do you think the TOTP2 previews at the end of the programme will be left in when they start in September? They did leave the Live Aid plug on screen in when they reran 1985 and still showed competitions some 35-40 years after the closing date.

Yes because otherwise it would require remaking the credits, something they didn't do for an episode with a playout from The Doors (which they no longer have copyright to play).

I'm more interested in what they'll do with the 1996 (and 2003+ if we get that far) competitions. It's one thing to leave in addresses to television centre, but a complete other to leave in working phone numbers. I suppose BBC 4 Pres could simply put up a "do not call" message for the 1996 episodes if they can't edit the link, for the 2003 onwards ones they were already exporting it worldwide on BBC Prime and on some of the ex-VT copies online there are re-done links after the credits for this purpose so they could use those versions.

Speaking of things at the end of ex-VT copies, 23-04-04 has the title sequence for Lizzie McGuire after the TOTP end credits and a period of black. Not sure why that is, maybe it was so BBC 1 pres could show it on the screens for CBBC on One? Or was TC9 in control of that?

Interesting points made on Digital Spy in terms of the extent they've gone to in removing R.Kelly from the credits on 5/5/94 - does give a bit more hope that they'll try and sort something out for the editions where Gary Glitter is the TOTP2 playout in late 1994.

(17-03-2023, 01:31 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  I'm more interested in what they'll do with the 1996 (and 2003+ if we get that far) competitions. It's one thing to leave in addresses to television centre, but a complete other to leave in working phone numbers. I suppose BBC 4 Pres could simply put up a "do not call" message for the 1996 episodes if they can't edit the link

Must be remembered a lot depends on the target audience as to how "intelligent" they are. With BBC Four (and to an extent Channel 4) it's given that they're niche audiences and know they're watching 30 year old content, so its goes without saying its probably not a good idea to phone that number.

Considering ITV1 always has to verbally and visually announce "don't be an total moron and phone to vote for Fred the Barber if you're watching this on +1" and then put up massive straps on future repeats for the likes of BGT says more about the audience not realising its a repeat.

Anyway I'm sure this has come up before on TOTP in the discussions, in either this or the previous incarnations on the pink and blue places.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Kojak

A strange thing to come soon on the 1st December edition (presented by Lily Savage) is both Mariah Carey and Celine Dion are introduced as satellite performances, but both are actually professionally made videos, shot on film and with editing that can't remotely be confused with live (or as live) performances. The latter was specifically made for TOTP, but it's still quite clearly not a live performance. I guess it's possible both were fed to Elstree via satellite, but they're still presented as if the act is there waiting to perform.

We were recently treated to an "Exclusive Video Mix" (?) of "Come On You Reds", which I'm not sure anybody would have given two hoots about.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(26-03-2023, 09:06 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  We were recently treated to an "Exclusive Video Mix" (?) of "Come On You Reds", which I'm not sure anybody would have given two hoots about.

We'll get another exclusive video soon on 23/06/94. And in 95 we'll get another "exclusive video mix" of MJ videos as the video for Scream couldn't be shown (or wasn't ready?)

With the Man United video though, it wasn't even substantially different, you likely wouldn't even notice the differences unless you watched the two side by side, so you almost wonder why they bothered.

Though I have noticed numerous times over the years where different music channels also show slightly different edits of some videos to others. Not that they promote it the way TOTP did here!

Funnily enough, VH1 for quite a while used to show that man united video taken from one of these TOTP episodes- heavily letterboxed to hide the graphics, but they left in a couple of seconds of Simon Mayo's link afterwards.