Warner Bros. Discovery - Company News and Discussion

the new WBD seems to have a fetish for removing content from the service so that they can claim a tax write off.

Not sure how it works on decades old cartoons though!
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • Brekkie

I think WBD is currently on two minds about the path before them: Go streaming, or cling on to traditional medium. And from what we're seeing so far, the latter seems to have some advantages...

For broadcast

[*]CNN+ axed before launch.
[*]Original shows cancelled on (HBO) Max.
[*]Legacy cartoons removed from Max (possibly going back to CN/Boomerang?).
[*]In some ways the BT Sport acquisition (new cable channel additions).

For streaming?

[*]Failed attempt in moving WB Pictures to streaming only.
[*]Reduced commitment in the CW.
[*]The death of HLN.
[*](Previously) rumored closure of CN.

Contrary to Disney's constant, swift axing of worldwide TV channels for Disney+ (a bit too swift in terms of the Fox/Star switcheroo), WBD's moves are... Messed up, to say the least.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 1 user Likes W. Knight's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(29-12-2022, 01:09 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(18-12-2022, 06:03 PM)gottago Wrote:  Quest is by far and away Discovery's most watched linear channel so I can't imagine they'd just close it, especially when they have other Freeview channels that don't perform anywhere near as well. If anything I'd have thought their subscription linear channels would be far more likely to be at risk as their focus shifted to Discovery+ some time ago.

I guess they could rebrand Quest but I'm not sure why they would. Warner TV in other countries looks to be more of a scripted channel and there's simply no market for scripted series on minor digital channels in a streaming world any more.
There were rumours last year (which turned out to be unfounded) that Discovery were planning on closing all but one of their pay TV channels. Although it didn't happen then, I do suspect that that is their long-term goal.
The former Discovery side of the business was always very focussed on maximising the profitability of linear services at the same time as steering consumers to D+. The strategy is primarily on dispassionate cost reduction over any ideologically driven focus to close linear services en masse.

There are certainly channels out there that make little or no money, but those in that category can cost very little to run on the WBD side due to deals with local affiliates who cover some costs for provision of localised services.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branflake's post:
  • Medianext.MX

More HBO Max written-off series are finding new homes. 21 European-produced Max Originals have been bought by Sky. These are being mostly shopped to their pan-European streaming JV with Paramount, SkyShowtime, which launches next month in Spain, Andorra and Central Europe.

deadline.com 

Additionally, Max Original Genera+ion, cancelled after one season, has been bought by Fox-owned Tubi; the streamer has no plans to produce a second season.

www.thewrap.com 

www.digitaltveurope.com 

Warner Bros. Discovery and Amazon have decided to launch a new "channel" on Prime Video called "Warner Pass".

It'll include HBO series, 12 of Warner's TV offerings, including Discovery Channel, CNN, Cartoon Network, Eurosport and more, as well as their own respected on demand services.

It's unknown whether this will be introduced in UK territories, especially considering Sky have exclusive rights to HBO content, however have recently made Discovery+ free for all Sky customers, so again, we'll have to wait and see. To me, this appears to be testing the waters on what distribution model works best for Warner's offerings, so it's likely to be gone after 2024.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Medianext.MX

This is just a temporary solution since HBO's deal with OCS expired in december. It's an easy way for WBD to distribute their content in France using Prime Video's infrastructure until its new streaming service is ready to be launched. I imagine this Warner Pass will be merged into "Max" once it's available.

WBD have notified all their staff at BT Sport that they're at risk of redundancy:

bectu.org.uk 

I understand they're all being invited to apply for new roles within WBD, but it's a completely different structure with fewer jobs available.

(17-01-2023, 08:34 AM)DamC Wrote:  This is just a temporary solution since HBO's deal with OCS expired in december. It's an easy way for WBD to distribute their content in France using Prime Video's infrastructure until its new streaming service is ready to be launched. I imagine this Warner Pass will be merged into "Max" once it's available.

It's not only that. Canal+ is in the midst of a partial carriage dispute with WBD. This only affects the legacy Warner channels, of which one (Warner TV) was exclusive to the platform. Eurosport remains there through a separate deal though, and the legacy Discovery channels were already committed to an exclusive distribution deal with Altice France; however, this expired in 2022 and Canal+ can integrate these channels back to these platforms if a new deal is signed.

www.ozap.com 

www.ozap.com 

www.broadcastnow.co.uk 

BT Sport's Stratford studio is to close. News comes after 200 staff have reportedly been at risk of redundancy.

WBD has confirmed it's existing facilities will move and remain to it's existing West London base. I suppose it would be long now until WBD reveals whether or not the operations will merge into Eurosport or go with an completely different brand.
[-] The following 3 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • bkman1990, Medianext.MX, Rijowhi

WBD will launch a sizzle of FAST channels in the U.S. this Spring. The 14 Warner TV-branded channels, available through Roku and Tubi, will run from the gamut of written-off HBO Max original series to Discovery reality and factual shows.

variety.com