Warner Bros. Discovery - Company News and Discussion

deadline.com 

Adult Swim, the nighttime block of the Cartoon Network, is expanding to 7pm from May 1st, alongside AS taking on the rights of Unicorn: Warriors Eternal and My Adventures with Superman from what was originally going to air on Cartoon Network (likely on their Sunday film block, ACME Night).

According to the article, it mentions how "68% of Cartoon Network viewers were over the age of 18", which does give me the thinking that obviously, this is in part due to the shifting landscape of cable and how children are now watching less on the cable channels and more on the dedicated streamer Max.
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • giiiuls, Roger Darthwell

(05-12-2022, 06:28 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Some news related to the HBO Max-Discovery+ merger: the merged OTT is reportedly being named as simply Max, according to CNBC. The platform (codenamed Beam) will operate on Discovery+'s backend, but with a much more improved UI which will merge both Discovery+ and HBO Max elements. Additionally, WBD has registered a WBMax.com domain for the service, as the Max.com domain is already being used by a nutritional supplement products company, according to Variety.

www.cnbc.com 

variety.com 

It's nearly official: the new HBO Max platform will be named Max. The clue: the Max.com domain is now in hands of WBD (through domain management firm Markmonitor). The new look streamer will be unveiled, as previously told, next Wednesday.

twitter.com 

To other corporate news now... in an unexpected move, Mr. Zaslav has taken the decision to move his office from WBD's headquarters at Park Avenue South in New York (inherited from the former Discovery) to the Warner lot in Burbank, so that he can easily manage the Warner Bros. operation easily:

nypost.com 

However, this happens as WBD is under investigation by Democratic Congress lawmakers (led by Sen. Elizabeth Warren) as the "tax write-offs" are being considered as "anticompetitive practices".

comicbook.com 

(10-04-2023, 10:00 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  
(05-12-2022, 06:28 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  Some news related to the HBO Max-Discovery+ merger: the merged OTT is reportedly being named as simply Max, according to CNBC.

It's nearly official: the new HBO Max platform will be named Max. The clue: the Max.com domain is now in hands of WBD (through domain management firm Markmonitor). The new look streamer will be unveiled, as previously told, next Wednesday.
And now it is: Say hello to HBO Max, launching on May 23. Trading the purple for blue as well:

twitter.com 

Interesting marketing tactic here: The One to Watch for HBO. Contrary to the HBO Max-Discovery+ merger that everyone speculated, the FAQ on the US site states that:

Quote:When Max is available on May 23rd, HBO Max subscribers can stream all of HBO Max together with a selection of Discovery favorites on Max.

discovery+ will continue as a stand-alone service.
A certain Aussie broadcaster is probably going to say something about the slogan though... Wink
youtu.be 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 4 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • ArthurVX, bkman1990, Happy2001, Medianext.MX

I like that shade of blue, and the logo is nice enough, but I just don't like the name 'max'.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • W. Knight

(12-04-2023, 07:57 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I like that shade of blue, and the logo is nice enough, but I just don't like the name 'max'.
By renaming HBO Max to simply Max it does make it easier in future to merge in Discovery+ content if they wanted to.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Medianext.MX

I wonder why they chose to go with blue, just like Disney+ and Paramount+, when the purple they've been using made them stand out.
[-] The following 2 users Like DamC's post:
  • ArthurVX, Medianext.MX

The press release:

wbd.com 

WBD also issued a number of other press release relating to original programmes for the streamer including a Harry Potter TV series and a second Big Bang Theory spin-off.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, W. Knight

The Max streaming service presentation by WBD did not give a great response to shareholders in the stock market today.

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/warner-bros-discovery-stock-fall-max-hbo-1235580966/#article-comments

WBD's share price fell about 6% at the close of trade on Wednesday. It's the highest loss today when you look at 3 of the other media companies below it who made much smaller losses on the list.

Paramount lost 3.3%

Disney lost 2.5%

And Netflix lost 2%

I have known for a while now that the stock markets are now reassessing their value of continuing on with the loss making streaming wars that is taking place with all of these media companies.

But when you look at WBD are offering for their pricing tiers for the new Max service; people who are specifically making comments online, while living in the U.S., are not really happy with that new pricing strategy at all.

They would say that paying $16 a month for HD only content from May 23rd on Max is a huge downgrade for them. HBO Max currently offers 4K streams for the same price per month. It feels like a massive upgrade right now compared to what subscribers will be getting on the new service.

HBO probably the biggest stamp of quality for content in television outside the BBC - and removing it just suggests they fon't want to be associated with the content Discovery is bringing to the service.

(14-04-2023, 12:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  HBO probably the biggest stamp of quality for content in television outside the BBC - and removing it just suggests they fon't want to be associated with the content Discovery is bringing to the service.

I think that's the main reason, HBO is known for quality television and even discounting the Discovery shows, it was also a stickler for even kids show. Disney have the opposite issue that their brand is family entertainment and that can cause issues with more adult oriented content but having 20th Century as a sub brand does help in that regard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Jeff