BBC plans to switch off broadcast TV and move to internet-only progs, DG says

(07-12-2022, 08:32 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  People are underestimating how confusing this will be for many people. I know many  people who don’t know how to type something into a Tv or access an built in app or use a fire stick. It’s way more of a change than digital switchover.

(07-12-2022, 06:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  It’s not April though. I hardly think it’s an unrealistic if we look at how viewing habits have changed in the last decade and that’s likely to be accelerated over the next. 

It doesn’t make sense for this not be the next change.

Habits have changes for many people but a lot of people still watch entirely linear and those are the people without the technical skills to easily cope with this.

(07-12-2022, 08:28 PM)i.h Wrote:  Not "many":

Ofcom say:

FWA being a reference to fixed wireless, i.e. 4G/5G or specially built wireless networks.

The BBC's press release specifically references Freeview, probably as it is very costly to run - so how many of the 83k are somehow so rural that they can't get broadband (and won't by the time this actually happens), somehow receive good Freeview service today, and somehow couldn't get Freesat?

A lot more people can’t get broadband that is fast enough to stream one programme at a time let alone more than one at a time.

Also live events is still a minute behind. No way will people be able for sport to be so far behind and people at the event to have plenty of time to tweet a development before they see it.

For that very reason I still think at least one linear BBC TV channel will exist for some time yet. I also think that at least one TV channel will continue for many years due to the Beeb’s PSB responsibilities that should be available to everyone (same with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5).

To be honest I’m in the camp that feels some of the TV side of the BBC (BBC1 especially) veers too much into commercial TV territory. However that’s not to say they shouldn’t make any programmes to entertain! How the BBC is funded is going to be interesting in the future…will we see the proposed split between BBC TV (PSB programming)/Radio and the i-player?

(07-12-2022, 09:34 PM)Jon Wrote:  Well obviously it’s not going to happen overnight and the broadcasters will have to work around any challenges to make sure very few are left behind. But there is obviously going to be a point it’s just not going to be justifiable to keep terrestrial broadcasts going.

The help scheme for DSO was fairly costly and time consuming and this would be more so being it would be for some a bigger change.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Rijowhi

(07-12-2022, 09:13 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(07-12-2022, 09:09 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Then maybe people shouldn't be looking at Twitter while watching live events because it "might" be spoiled.
That's the same as using the pause feature on Sky/Virgin/TIVO and then wondering why the cheers from the neighbours don't match what's going on on your screen.

It’s still not a sign of progress that an event is so far behind when it used to be actually live.

Considering digital linear TV has a delay of about eight seconds as it is (on average) its already "not live" as it is.
All streaming will do is introduce a variable delay, due to congestion and other factors.

My point remains though, and if you're that fussed about watching it 100% live as it happens, you'd go to the event in question.

It’s entirely sensible for them to be thinking this way.

Think some need to consider that by the time this becomes reality (if indeed it does), those “confused” older people will not be the same older people we have now. They will have lived with the internet most of their life. We’re talking people in their 50s and 60s now.

Agree on the earlier point that key to this is ease of use and simple integration into tv sets. A scenario where you have to open a BBC app to watch BBC services, another for ITV and so on won’t work. I think there’s still work to do now with this but this will be even more important. I imagine something similar to SkyQ will be the standard.
[-] The following 7 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Jeff, Jon, Kojak, Ma76, Rijowhi, strollfan, Stuart

The Telegraph are carrying a story on their front page tomorrow that the BBC will "switch off" all of its terrestrial services by 2030.
No doubt the story is taking bits from Tim Davie's speech, liberally adding in made up bits of their own, and spinning it as bash at the BBC.

(07-12-2022, 10:59 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It’s entirely sensible for them to be thinking this way.

Think some need to consider that by the time this becomes reality (if indeed it does), those “confused” older people will not be the same older people we have now. They will have lived with the internet most of their life. We’re talking people in their 50s and 60s now.

Agree on the earlier point that key to this is ease of use and simple integration into tv sets. A scenario where you have to open a BBC app to watch BBC services, another for ITV and so on won’t work. I think there’s still work to do now with this but this will be even more important. I imagine something similar to SkyQ will be the standard.

Plenty of people in those age groups whose internet knowledge is not that great either.

Also don’t underestimate how many people are increasing annoyed by how much of life know requires the internet. A great many people don’t like change.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Gary Baldy

I think you're overestimating those groups if anything.

I mean, if they want to pay more for the TV licence to fund infrastructure that has become less relevant while the rest of us pay less and get on with life, they're welcome to keep it. I suspect "those who don't like change" would quickly embrace it though.

You don't need "internet knowledge" to use iPlayer for goodness sake.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • IanJRedman

In the same way that Joe Public probably isn’t aware new “phone lines” are just VoIP, I’m sure Freeview will long continue to exist even if it’s delivered differently.

(08-12-2022, 11:48 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Also don’t underestimate how many people are increasing annoyed by how much of life know requires the internet. A great many people don’t like change.

Well if we take that logic to its extreme we would all still be living in caves and writing on the walls, as well at not having this conversation.

And while it is true more stuff requires online access, that just means we're moving more and more towards self service. Which was always inevitable. If people want to be excluded because they don't want to go online, that's up to them, but likewise if they didn't want to watch TV they wouldn't have bought one in the first place. The methods of viewing have always changed - from live to recorded, from analogue to digital, from home taping to Sky+, to on-demand - but people coped.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • Kojak, strollfan