BBC plans to switch off broadcast TV and move to internet-only progs, DG says

(07-12-2022, 10:57 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(07-12-2022, 09:13 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  It’s still not a sign of progress that an event is so far behind when it used to be actually live.

Considering digital linear TV has a delay of about eight seconds as it is (on average) its already "not live" as it is.
All streaming will do is introduce a variable delay, due to congestion and other factors.

My point remains though, and if you're that fussed about watching it 100% live as it happens, you'd go to the event in question.

The BBC should be more than capable of reducing online streaming delay to be in line with, or even better than, current broadcast delays by that point in time.

I can see why it's not the case now - the BBC live streams are a lot more resilient than other broadcasters - but I don't think they need to be let off the hook in a streaming-only future for a 1 to 2 minute delay.

Ofcom are actively not allowing the BBC to go online only because they want to see the Freeview frequencies retained beyond 2030 which maybe going into 2040+ etc.

The current owners of Arqiva are allowing to do it either because they see it as a way as an energy efficient way to watch live broadcast TV. That is a valid point at the moment because if you use a streaming service to satisfy your needs as a TV viewer; there are a lot of studies online which say that watching TV online is very bad for the environment. i.e. It generates a lot of damaging carbon emissions which goes into the atmosphere.

King Charles III is also a major champion of preventing climate change alongside other members of the Royal family. I don't know how the Royal Family is going to be convinced that the BBC going online only throughout the UK is going to become a major win for one of the most famous broadcasters in the world.

There are currently over 17 million people who currently use Freeview on a daily basis in the UK. That to me sounds like it is going to be a huge task for the BBC to actually carry out a lot of training to those who are probably not the most well versed people in learning to how to use TV services via the Internet.

(08-12-2022, 01:14 PM)i.h Wrote:  I think you're overestimating those groups if anything.

I mean, if they want to pay more for the TV licence to fund infrastructure that has become less relevant while the rest of us pay less and get on with life, they're welcome to keep it. I suspect "those who don't like change" would quickly embrace it though.

You don't need "internet knowledge" to use iPlayer for goodness sake.

You do. You need to know how to set it up and then use it.

(08-12-2022, 04:41 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Ofcom are actively not allowing the BBC to go online only because they want to see the Freeview frequencies retained beyond 2030 which maybe going into 2040+ etc.

The current owners of Arqiva are allowing to do it either because they see it as a way as an energy efficient way to watch live broadcast TV. That is a valid point at the moment because if you use a streaming service to satisfy your needs as a TV viewer; there are a lot of studies online which say that watching TV online is very bad for the environment. i.e. It generates a lot of damaging carbon emissions which goes into the atmosphere.

King Charles III is also a major champion of preventing climate change alongside other members of the Royal family. I don't know how the Royal Family is going to be convinced that the BBC going online only throughout the UK is going to become a major win for one of the most famous broadcasters in the world.

There are currently over 17 million people who currently use Freeview on a daily basis in the UK. That to me sounds like it is going to be a huge task for the BBC to actually carry out a lot of training to those who are probably not the most well versed people in learning to how to use TV services via the Internet.

It will take a lot of switch over.  They are millions of people who have probably never used used Iplayer but watch the BBC regularly.

(08-12-2022, 03:54 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  
(07-12-2022, 10:57 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Considering digital linear TV has a delay of about eight seconds as it is (on average) its already "not live" as it is.
All streaming will do is introduce a variable delay, due to congestion and other factors.

My point remains though, and if you're that fussed about watching it 100% live as it happens, you'd go to the event in question.

The BBC should be more than capable of reducing online streaming delay to be in line with, or even better than, current broadcast delays by that point in time.

I can see why it's not the case now - the BBC live streams are a lot more resilient than other broadcasters - but I don't think they need to be let off the hook in a streaming-only future for a 1 to 2 minute delay.
They don’t. And other broadcasters need to do so as well.

(08-12-2022, 04:53 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(08-12-2022, 01:14 PM)i.h Wrote:  You don't need "internet knowledge" to use iPlayer for goodness sake.

You do. You need to know how to set it up and then use it.

No you don't need "internet knowledge" for iPlayer, don't be so melodramatic.
It's just basically an app. If you can use an app on a phone you can use an app on the TV/Firestick/<insert device of choice here> where there is no need know anything about the internet. It just needs a connection.

(08-12-2022, 06:08 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(08-12-2022, 04:53 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  You do. You need to know how to set it up and then use it.

It's just basically an app.  If you can use an app on a phone you can use an app on the TV/Firestick/<insert device of choice here> where there is no need know anything about the internet.  It just needs a connection.

I know plenty of people who can barely handle WhatsApp or the BBC News app.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, Gary Baldy, LargelyALurker, Ma76

(08-12-2022, 06:08 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(08-12-2022, 04:53 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  You do. You need to know how to set it up and then use it.

It's just basically an app.  If you can use an app on a phone you can use an app on the TV/Firestick/<insert device of choice here> where there is no need know anything about the internet.  It just needs a connection.

Well it depends on what you mean my Internet knowledge. If knowing what to do if your router stops working is Internet knowledge then yes you do need it.

My 82 year old mum can’t use iPlayer on her smart TV. I’ve tried and tried but she just doesn’t understand that up and down arrows moves round a screen.

For most of us used to cursors and using a mouse it’s obvious, but she is someone who is terrified of pressing any button she doesn’t know 100% what it will do before she presses it. She would NEVER just try a button to see what it does like most of us would do.

So as things stand she can press 1 for BBC One, 2 for BBC Two and 3 for Granada (as she still calls it).

She will not attempt to use anything more complicated than that.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 7 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, chinamug, Gary Baldy, Juicy Joe, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

I think the point I was getting at has been lost.

In this new world of streamed BBC content, it will probably function similar to just firing up straight into iPlayer, or pressing 1 and 2 will take you to BBC One and BBC Two accordingly - the streams on the iPlayer. Then you can probably go round the catch-up stuff some other way, and press 1 to return to live TV.

Or something like that, eight years is a long time so a lot will depend on what happens between now and then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • strollfan

The BBC are really shooting themselves in the foot while Davie had announced in his speech that the BBC will be online-only in the 2030's.

I read from an article in The Daily Mirror earlier today which said that other broadcasters in Europe have gone completely swung to the opposite direction with completely relying on their own DTT networks until 2040 and beyond that if necessary.

There are some very glaring outcomes from a survey that was noted as a result of his speech.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/campaigners-urge-government-fight-traditional-28650662#comments-wrapper

The other thing to note here is that I do not know which broadcasters or either how many of them within Europe have expressed that opinion of wanting to retain DTT networks in their own countries yet. 

The World Radio communications conference will be held in Dubai next year. I imagine we will get a much more clearer picture as to what opinions are being expressed by different countries on the issue.
[-] The following 5 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39, Happy2001, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

If you think about it, what Davie is indicating is, essentially, a move towards a Netflix style delivery model with one brand (rather than a mix of sub-brands). I’d say that make a lot of sense and positions the BBC well in terms of some form of argument around its funding model beyond current settlements.

As for the timings, well, digital switch over was a programme decades in the making. I suspect we have a long way to go in terms of foregrounding necessary digital literacy but certainly wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility to imagine by the end of the 2030s that a pilot is up and running
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matrix's post:
  • strollfan

Without sounding morbid but a lot of the elderly population who only use linear will probably have died or close to death by the time we get to the 2030s and 2040s and the ones who are now in their 60s and 70s now are a lot more tech savvy than the generation before them.