BBC plans to switch off broadcast TV and move to internet-only progs, DG says

(08-12-2022, 09:16 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(08-12-2022, 06:08 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  No you don't need "internet knowledge" for iPlayer, don't be so melodramatic.
It's just basically an app.  If you can use an app on a phone you can use an app on the TV/Firestick/<insert device of choice here> where there is no need know anything about the internet.  It just needs a connection.

Well it depends on what you mean my Internet knowledge. If knowing what to do if your router stops working is Internet knowledge then yes you do need it.

No more so than needing "antenna knowledge" for when your TV aerial or dish fails. If you're not very technical you're calling someone out anyway. If you have Virgin or Sky or BT TV they'll sort it themselves, otherwise it's getting the phone book out (until they do away with those too since 99.99999999% of people do it online)

I think it's easy for those posting here to forget that not everyone is as familiar and comfortable with technology as they are.

I know quite a few people who are still not good using emails to communicate, who'd rather spend 5-10 minutes on the phone reading out their handwritten notes.

I think for any transition to be widely used it has to be simple and convenient to use. See the rise in adoption of cashless payments since chip & pin and particularly contactless. (Though again I know people who refuse banking apps on their mobiles or use google/apple pay for various reasons.)

Back to TV I can imagine that over the next decade more TV will be delivered via IP. It wouldn't surprise me if Sky start pushing Sky Stream more over their traditional satellite dish options. If I recall with Freeview (Play) there's already plans to allow existing channels to be delivered via IP where the terrestrial signal is unavailable.

If I was being cynical I'd suggest by mentioning they were looking into this idea it might allow politicians to see the negative public reaction, prior to thinking about replacing the existing licence fee.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • Gary Baldy, Ma76, Rijowhi

(10-12-2022, 10:30 AM)Keith Wrote:  I think it's easy for those posting here to forget that not everyone is as familiar and comfortable with technology as they are.

I know quite a few people who are still not good using emails to communicate, who'd rather spend 5-10 minutes on the phone reading out their handwritten notes.
I think it’s even easier to think that anyone north of 60 is baffled by technology and the internet. We can’t use this frankly insulting assertion to stop things progressing. 

My mum is in her 70s, the only thing she tends to struggle with is if there’s an issue with connection or the router. I think this is something that should and hopefully will evolve over the next few years and become more simple.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • strollfan, Stuart

Even the elder generation is not as accustomed to access to social media and e-mails. This sort of "digital divide" was clearly seen when the pandemic was in its early stages, where, as a result of the stay-at-home orders, people had to adapt by using all types of digital platforms, but, in reality, the elder generation didn't embrace digital technology as other generations did.

The elder gens are also accustomed to watch linear TV as opposed to streaming or VOD, given its ease to use; such a drastic change could cause problems, so, as Keith told, it needs to get simple and convenient so to adapt them to IPTV.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • Gary Baldy

But the younger generation would find it difficult with a Turret tuner
Which has to be turned “just so” to get all the contacts made …
And then a fine tune to get a picture ….
Which sometimes needed you to go round the back to set H or V hold !

The interfaces will need to be sorted out but no more than people
had when changing from the four /five push buttons to an EPG ….
With both select by number or select by cursor

This is utterly outrageous, the BBC should be concentrating on providing programmes and services on linear TV and Radio, not online services and expect everyone to go online when not everyone can afford it, especially the older generation, it's like saying schools and shopping move online, Tim Davie must be stopped.
[-] The following 3 users Like BBCMeridian's post:
  • bkman1990, Gary Baldy, Roger Darthwell

(11-12-2022, 03:47 AM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  This is utterly outrageous, the BBC should be concentrating on providing programmes and services on linear TV and Radio, not online services and expect everyone to go online when not everyone can afford it, especially the older generation, it's like saying schools and shopping move online, Tim Davie must be stopped.

It would also be "utterly outrageous" for the BBC to ignore that a substantial amount of people now access TV channels/radio stations and programs either mostly or entirely through iPlayer and Sounds.

If you look at the speech in its totality it's more about setting the stall for future policy and funding debate, possibly with an eye on a new government more favourable to the BBC.

In reality, I suspect that the BBC would be one of the last to switch off linear broadcast TV & radio. There has been huge progress since the days of streaming a postage stamp size picture over dial-up with RealPlayer but it is yet to have the resilience and reach of broadcast, something Tim Davie acknowledges. And let's not forget the BBC closed BBC3 as a linear broadcast channel, weakening itself in the process, only to bring it back.

My mother, who on receipt of a contactless debit card sent it back to her bank, still uses BBC Text - the BBC tried to close this down but had to withdraw due to opposition.

For some it is not simply a case of education, those with dementia for example may really struggle to adapt to a new system.
[-] The following 7 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Jeff, Ma76, Rijowhi, Stooky Bill, strollfan

(11-12-2022, 09:49 AM)Omnipresent Wrote:  If you look at the speech in its totality it's more about setting the stall for future policy and funding debate, possibly with an eye on a new government more favourable to the BBC.

In reality, I suspect that the BBC would be one of the last to switch off linear broadcast TV & radio.    There has been huge progress since the days of streaming a postage stamp size picture over dial-up with RealPlayer but it is yet to have the resilience and reach of broadcast, something Tim Davie acknowledges.  And let's not forget the BBC closed BBC3 as a linear broadcast channel, weakening itself in the process, only to bring it back.

My mother, who on receipt of a contactless debit card sent it back to her bank, still uses BBC Text - the BBC tried to close this down but had to withdraw due to opposition.

For some it is not simply a case of education, those with dementia for example may really struggle to adapt to a new system.

BBC one would surely be a strong contender to be the last traditionally broadcast linear channel left in the UK. 
Also another issue is internet failures are quite common. Most people with Sky or Cable have aerials as well so unless a power cut happens if one goes down they can still watch via the other. The Internet has gone down for me living in London a lot more than the power has in recent years. So being internet only cuts people of TV if it goes down unless they have very generous Data packages.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv

(11-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 09:49 AM)Omnipresent Wrote:  If you look at the speech in its totality it's more about setting the stall for future policy and funding debate, possibly with an eye on a new government more favourable to the BBC.

In reality, I suspect that the BBC would be one of the last to switch off linear broadcast TV & radio.    There has been huge progress since the days of streaming a postage stamp size picture over dial-up with RealPlayer but it is yet to have the resilience and reach of broadcast, something Tim Davie acknowledges.  And let's not forget the BBC closed BBC3 as a linear broadcast channel, weakening itself in the process, only to bring it back.

BBC one would surely be a strong contender to be the last traditionally broadcast linear channel left in the UK. 
Also another issue is internet failures are quite common. Most people with Sky or Cable have aerials as well so unless a power cut happens if one goes down they can still watch via the other. The Internet has gone down for me living in London a lot more than the power has in recent years. So being internet only cuts people of TV if it goes down unless they have very generous Data packages.
The problem with the idea of a "last remaining channel" is that all the horribly expensive parts of Freeview have to be maintained until the last service leaves. All those TV transmission sites and the many relays that the PSBs have. The coding/mux/distribution. Who would pay for this? Would it fall on the majority who no longer need it, or would the cost go to those who choose to use it instead of more efficient solutions?

I can't think of the last time my internet went down. The parents place did have one recently, the first time since they'd got broadband almost 20 years ago, lasting all of like 6 hours. That is only likely to further improve before we reach the next decade and fibre becomes ubiquitous.
[-] The following 2 users Like i.h's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart