BBC plans to switch off broadcast TV and move to internet-only progs, DG says

If the BBC were to go fully internet based, there would still need to be a way to not only fund the BBC and all the other broadcasters moving to fully online digital, but also to help support the growing infrastructure of the internet and to keep viewers watching their stations. I'd imagine by this point, the internet wouldn't become a luxury for paying customers, but more so a tax to help sustain it.

Course, that sounds silly in retrospect but we can't rule out the possibility that the internet would become more easier to access. Though it wouldn't surprise me if the broadband providers make an "Internet-lite", meaning you can only access certain sites, such as BBC, ITV, etc. unless you pay for unlimited/basic broadband packages.
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Jeff, Roger Darthwell

(11-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 09:49 AM)Omnipresent Wrote:  If you look at the speech in its totality it's more about setting the stall for future policy and funding debate, possibly with an eye on a new government more favourable to the BBC.

In reality, I suspect that the BBC would be one of the last to switch off linear broadcast TV & radio.    There has been huge progress since the days of streaming a postage stamp size picture over dial-up with RealPlayer but it is yet to have the resilience and reach of broadcast, something Tim Davie acknowledges.  And let's not forget the BBC closed BBC3 as a linear broadcast channel, weakening itself in the process, only to bring it back.

My mother, who on receipt of a contactless debit card sent it back to her bank, still uses BBC Text - the BBC tried to close this down but had to withdraw due to opposition.

For some it is not simply a case of education, those with dementia for example may really struggle to adapt to a new system.

BBC one would surely be a strong contender to be the last traditionally broadcast linear channel left in the UK. 
Also another issue is internet failures are quite common. Most people with Sky or Cable have aerials as well so unless a power cut happens if one goes down they can still watch via the other. The Internet has gone down for me living in London a lot more than the power has in recent years. So being internet only cuts people of TV if it goes down unless they have very generous Data packages.
The internet going down occasionally wouldn’t be a major issue. But it’s actually a good point in respect to major emergencies and perhaps you’d have to have some back up for certain situations perhaps only allowing access to news websites and audio programmes. 

I think the point remains though, yes they’ll be examples of potential issues that didn’t arise before and broadcasters will have to work round that. But also if there is a power cut these days, most people will have some way to access the internet, when they wouldn’t have done in times gone by. 

Most of those who seem worried about this, seem to think, when this happens demographics will be exactly the same and there will be no other technological available to make it more user friendly, generally available and more resilient.

(11-12-2022, 03:47 AM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  This is utterly outrageous, the BBC should be concentrating on providing programmes and services on linear TV and Radio, not online services and expect everyone to go online when not everyone can afford it, especially the older generation, it's like saying schools and shopping move online, Tim Davie must be stopped.
Well shopping is probably mainly done online and whilst they’ll probably always be a need for certain physical shops, it’s only going to decrease in this time frame.

(11-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Also another issue is internet failures are quite common.
No they aren't. Perhaps you should change to a more reliable ISP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • XIII

(11-12-2022, 03:47 AM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  This is utterly outrageous, the BBC should be concentrating on providing programmes and services on linear TV and Radio, not online services and expect everyone to go online when not everyone can afford it, especially the older generation, it's like saying schools and shopping move online, Tim Davie must be stopped.

You do know he's Director General and not a dictator......
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Rijowhi

(11-12-2022, 03:48 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 12:54 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Also another issue is internet failures are quite common.
No they aren't. Perhaps you should change to a more reliable ISP.

They more common than Freeview and Sky/Cable going down at the same time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • chinamug

(11-12-2022, 05:08 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(11-12-2022, 03:48 PM)Stuart Wrote:  No they aren't. Perhaps you should change to a more reliable ISP.

They more common than Freeview and Sky/Cable going down at the same time.

You're forgetting about data, and by the time 2030 comes along it would be cheaper.

If the BBC were to go online only in the 2030's; it has to put into consideration how it plans to be environmentally sound when it distributes it's content via data centres to every person right across the UK.

If a broadcaster was just relying on Internet servers, CDNs and data centres to get it's content right across the country. It may have to budget a bigger pot of money to try and cover maitainece costs when all this I.T. equipment begins to no longer work properly.

What I am asking here is does the BBC plan to open up more CDNs, data centres etc to actually meet the requirements of this plan by being overseen from Tim Davie over the next 10 to 15 years?

There is also a huge environmental cost when this I.T. equipment gets replaced which generates a lot of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere. When you distribute a stream over the internet; it is one unique stream to one single person who uses a particular device.

If you use a single conventional broadcast stream it is broadcast to millions of people if you use a conventional TV platform around the country.

At the moment the BBC’S own CDN Bidi is in over 2 dozen nodes
With 1U boxes with dual 100G ports ….
Plus the BBC uses the main three Commercial CDNs
As the other broadcasters do …as they have not their own means of Internet distribution

Obviously the BBC with the website has a large internet footprint to serve.

But it’s not that green
www.bbc.co.uk 

www.bbc.co.uk 

(11-12-2022, 10:21 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  If the BBC were to go online only in the 2030's; it has to put into consideration how it plans to be environmentally sound when it distributes it's content via data centres to every person right across the UK.

If a broadcaster was just relying on Internet servers, CDNs and data centres to get it's content right across the country. It may have to budget a bigger pot of money to try and cover maitainece costs when all this I.T. equipment begins to no longer work properly.

What I am asking here is does the BBC plan to open up more CDNs, data centres etc to actually meet the requirements of this plan by being overseen from Tim Davie over the next 10 to 15 years?

There is also a huge environmental cost when this I.T. equipment gets replaced which generates a lot of greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere. When you distribute a stream over the internet; it is one unique stream to one single person who uses a particular device.

If you use a single conventional broadcast stream it is broadcast to millions of people if you use a conventional TV platform around the country.

how many thousands of watts are put into powering and cooling the national transmitter network? probably more than a few CDN boxes in ISP data centres, especially if it's using a shared CDN provider like Akamai, though technologist's post suggests the BBC are moving it towards an in house system these days. The BBC may not even pay much or anything at all towards the power for these; ISPs are happy to host these devices as it drastically reduces their costs

carbon emissions of streaming is quite the magnificent reach. more ludicrous than "internet knowledge".

not all streams are "unique", the BT TV system uses multicast for linear channels, so there is only ever one copy of each channel that is propagated around the network and will not be sent towards users until someone requests it. multiple viewers on the same bit of the network (e.g. a street) receive the same stream.

BBC R&D has done much work on the energy consumption of the Distribution - i.e. from playout to the viewer
- see the links above .
Its interesting to note how energy consuming DSAT is...... its the STB!
Because the BBC has its website (and across the world) there is a lot of "Internet" type work that it has done
on which BBC Iplayer and BBC Sounds benefit ...

And in programme production - Albert