BBC plans to switch off broadcast TV and move to internet-only progs, DG says

In terms of linear continuation I could see the Freeview consortium offering their own equivalent of Sky Glass, albeit something that is licensed to TV manufactures. Viewers could be greeted with a Home Screen with a live TV tab and then apps to the main broadcasters as standard. Eventually a situation where it’s just an internet connection and a few external inputs with no tuners on new TVs.

That way the end product would work more or less the same way as it does now for a viewer and linear would still exist for casual viewing and live events.

Yes - I think the key to making internet transmission standard is delivering it in a manner that feels like standard TV, as Sky Glass and BT TV do.

It's also not the BBC's and ITV's of this world who risk losing out - it's the smaller channels on Freeview, including UKTV and the Discovery suite, who would really lose out if we went down an approach where you needed a smart TV app for each company you wish to view. Maybe I'm seeing things I want to see but I think there are already signs that Discovery may be back peddling slightly on putting all their eggs in the Discovery+ basket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • benzj

This is related to this discussion, it came up in Tom Scott's weekly email:

www.bbc.co.uk  Wrote:Part of the challenge in reducing latency to match that of traditional broadcast is that changes are needed throughout the distribution chain, from streamlining the process of getting video and audio to our encoders to reducing the amount of buffering used by the streaming client in your TV.  Along the way, there are changes needed to allow the media to flow more progressively through the content delivery network.  And all this depends on agreeing industry standards so that there is a common approach that everyone can support and tests and trials are needed too to ensure that it works across the different kinds of TV and other streaming devices that our audience uses.

However, challenges remain to deploying low latency at a large scale.  ... whilst those issues may prevent our streaming latency reaching parity with broadcast for some time yet, there are still some things we can do in the meantime. 

"some time yet" would suggest they think they may be able to crack it by 2030.

www.bbc.co.uk  has an overview too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76

The more I hear about this Tim Davie bloke, the less I like him.
[-] The following 3 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • bkman1990, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell

Tim Davie is just positioning the corporation for te inevitable. Can't blame the messenger

There is a lot of describing the digital vision in the Public Accounts Committee hearing yesterday  …
Tim Davie, Leigh Tavazia , Storm Fagan
committees.parliament.uk 

(12-12-2022, 05:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - I think the key to making internet transmission standard is delivering it in a manner that feels like standard TV, as Sky Glass and BT TV do.   

It's also not the BBC's and ITV's of this world who risk losing out - it's the smaller channels on Freeview, including UKTV and the Discovery suite, who would really lose out if we went down an approach where you needed a smart TV app for each company you wish to view.    Maybe I'm seeing things I want to see but I think there are already signs that Discovery may be back peddling slightly on putting all their eggs in the Discovery+ basket.

I know two people with Sky Glass and neither thinks it’s better than what they used to have.

(13-01-2023, 09:42 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(12-12-2022, 05:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes - I think the key to making internet transmission standard is delivering it in a manner that feels like standard TV, as Sky Glass and BT TV do.   

It's also not the BBC's and ITV's of this world who risk losing out - it's the smaller channels on Freeview, including UKTV and the Discovery suite, who would really lose out if we went down an approach where you needed a smart TV app for each company you wish to view.    Maybe I'm seeing things I want to see but I think there are already signs that Discovery may be back peddling slightly on putting all their eggs in the Discovery+ basket.

I know two people with Sky Glass and neither thinks it’s better than what they used to have.

I have Sky Stream and think it’s great. A few niggles with some of the navigation but it’s easily the slickest integration of live and on demand I’ve used, bringing everything together in a single environment. They’ve maybe focussed too much towards on demand vs live but it works well overall.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • IanJRedman, Jon, London Lite

I think the issue with Sky Glass is the poor broadband many people have. For example many rural areas have a broadband maximum bellow the level Sky Glass and Stream need for HD.

While it's true for those stuck on ADSL2, those with even the basic FTTC package will be able to use Sky Stream unless they're on a really bad cabinet.

Like NOW, it uses adaptive bitrate streaming, so can stream at a lower resolution if required.