Top Gear

Just can't see the format returning now in the short term at least, especially if after what happened with Freddie makes insurance prohibitive.

The fact that Paddy has got the Inside The Factory gig (ie giving him something to do) along with Clare Pizey’s departure has made me think this incarnation of Top Gear is all but over.

Whilst I think Paddy/Freddie/Chris has been the best line up since Clarkson/Hammond/May I think it’s may be time to give the show a little rest for a bit.

Oh, and take it off BBC One, I don’t think it’s made any difference, it’s not as if the ratings skyrocketed.
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • lookoutwales, UTVLifer

I would have to agree, whilst this incarnation of Top Gear has been the best since Clarkson, Hammond and May's departure in 2015, I do think giving the format a rest for a while wouldn't hurt

In order to prevent the show having yet another identity crisis when it does eventually return, I do think Paddy will be back as a presenter, with him getting the Inside the Factory gig as something to tide him over in the meanwhile

It's a shame if it's over in its current incarnation as I've really enjoyed it, a lot more than the recent Grand Tour specials.

I disagree that the move to BBC One was unnecessary - it should have moved years ago but apparently only because Clarkson insisted on it staying on BBC Two. The move was a real "vote of confidence" in the show I thought after the rocky few years after the presenter change.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • Happy2001, Jeff, UTVLifer

Some pictures today of Freddie which are quite shocking to see especially when you consider the accident was last December now

Looks like he has perhaps had to go through some reconstructive surgery

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Johnr's post:
  • AJB39, TVFan

The Mirror is reporting that Top Gear is going to be axed and not return following Freddie's crash.

www.mirror.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, Superman1986, UTVLifer

I don't fully understand why this incident has to spell the end of the show, rather than improving safety protocols... It's arguably come back from worse - case in point, Richard Hammond?
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

I imagine things like insurance would have a significant impact on whether the show can continue. This is the second major crash in Top Gear, it would be very expensive for the show to get any insurance for any major stunts and in this time of austerity within the BBC I can understand why they have taken the decision to end the series.
[-] The following 3 users Like South's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, IanJRedman

The TV/production landscape has also changed a lot in the 18 or so years since Hammond's accident and as the article infers, the amount of red-tape that would be placed on the show if it were to return after Freddie's crash would just make it a watered down show.

It's a shame obviously but I think after the events of the last 10 years, I think the show has just gone through so much that some time off air is for the best.
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman

it ended for me once Clarkson, Hammond and May left. Time for something newer, commercially it did well with the Dave repeats and Magazine back in the day but it's not as relevant to the wider public as it once was and to make it so, would be hard to change. Plenty of YouTube videos with more interesting content.

Let us mourn the loss of Gambon corner.
[-] The following 4 users Like cable's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer