Top Gear

It really took a dive when Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman left the BBC and it took a very long time for it to find its feet again. But I feel that the Paddy, Freddie and Chris era was the best the show had been since the original cast had left. Whilst it was not must watch TV unlike previously it was very watchable and I feel was building up something special and was getting into gear, excuse the pun. It’s a shame it has had to end this way, assuming these reports are true.

Assuming the programme doesn’t return, the brand still lives on by means of website, magazine, social media and podcast.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • bkman1990, DJ Dave, UTVLifer

"A BBC spokesperson told PA Media: “A decision on the timing of future Top Gear shows will be made in due course with BBC Content.”"
www.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Happy2001's post:
  • bkman1990

Yes, the show has been through so many scrapes you’d think it would be able to survive….and yet, it is undeniably shocking to see how badly Andrew Flintoff was clearly injured. 

Like TOTP, the mega-brand presumably continues long after the actual programme. I wonder if anyone knows when the final edition actually aired (assuming it has now been axed)? I also happened to see them recording links outside TVC on Oct 5 last year and wonder if this was the final ever recording
[-] The following 2 users Like Pips2022's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

(06-10-2023, 10:32 PM)cable Wrote:  it ended for me once Clarkson, Hammond and May left. Time for something newer, commercially it did well with the Dave repeats and Magazine back in the day but it's not as relevant to the wider public as it once was and to make it so, would be hard to change. Plenty of YouTube videos with more interesting content.

Let us mourn the loss of Gambon corner.

What the BBC do with regards to finding a replacement or trying to attract the same type of viewers is key. It's a failure if they choose to commission another "general audience" show for a demographic that is already overrepresented.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(07-10-2023, 01:20 PM)Happy2001 Wrote:  "A BBC spokesperson told PA Media: “A decision on the timing of future Top Gear shows will be made in due course with BBC Content.”"
www.theguardian.com 

A bit like no decision had been made on HS2 earlier in the week?

In recent years it's been more about the challenges and banter between the hosts than the cars so not impossible to commission something very much in the spirit of Top Gear in the future but without the cars
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(07-10-2023, 02:07 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I wonder if anyone knows when the final edition actually aired (assuming it has now been axed)? I also happened to see them recording links outside TVC on Oct 5 last year and wonder if this was the final ever recording

18th December 2022, to be exact (last episode of Series 33)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Pips2022

I wonder if they could almost do what The Grand Tour have done and just do a few road trips/specials without the extreme challenges, silly dangerous vehicles etc.
The three (like the original trio) are at their best when just being themselves with each other, being a bit silly and having a laugh. They wouldn't have to do any drag races or anything seen as too dangerous but it would still be fun to watch
[-] The following 2 users Like tomo359's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

(07-10-2023, 02:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit like no decision had been made on HS2 earlier in the week?

In recent years it's been more about the challenges and banter between the hosts than the cars so not impossible to commission something very much in the spirit of Top Gear in the future but without the cars

Sounds a lot like Freddie's other gig, A League of Their Own's roadtrips, with a bit less sport.

I wonder if part of TopGear's downfall is that there are several YouTube channels doing similar challenges (CarThrottle, AutoAlex for example) so they feel obliged to keep going bigger and better and more dangerous?

Whilst there’s been no update on the future of the show, Freddie Flintoff has agreed a settlement of up to £9,000,000 with BBC Studios as a result of the accident. The show’s future will be decided in due course.

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie

I suspect they needed to get that sorted before confirming anything about the series itself.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer