Top Gear

That's a hell of a lot of money, tells you how severe the accident and his injuries must have been.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, DeMarkay, UTVLifer

(13-10-2023, 10:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  That's a hell of a lot of money, tells you how severe the accident and his injuries must have been.
The amount is based on 2 years missing earnings. It's more an indication of how much he earns than the severity..... if that happened to any of us we wouldn't get as much
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, fatal paper cut, Stuart

Two years missing earnings - I don't think he was getting paid anywhere near £9 million for two years work - not even Graham Norton gets that salary according to his financial records to companies house shows - part of that £9 million is for missing earnings, but I suspect the largest chunk is the settlement that they agreed with the BBC to keep this quiet and move on.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • thomash79, UTVLifer

(14-10-2023, 08:31 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Two years missing earnings - I don't think he was getting paid anywhere near £9 million for two years work - not even Graham Norton gets that salary according to his financial records to companies house shows - part of that £9 million is for missing earnings, but I suspect the largest chunk is the settlement that they agreed with the BBC to keep this quiet and move on.
It's worth noting that loss of work will have included non-TV stuff. 

I imagine like many former sport stars he also did after dinner speaking and corporate gigs, which are nice little earners. There may be also have been sponsorship and advertisement deals.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • fatal paper cut

The usual comments are appearing on the DM and Express comment boards today about "TVL money" without having an ounce of understanding about BBC Studios.

Even BBC Breakfast kept stressing this morning that it's the commercial arm of the organisation.
[-] The following 7 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Brekkie, DeMarkay, ethanjbrady, IanJRedman, Reith85, TVFan, UTVLifer

(14-10-2023, 08:50 AM)Keith Wrote:  It's worth noting that loss of work will have included non-TV stuff. 

I imagine like many former sport stars he also did after dinner speaking and corporate gigs, which are nice little earners. There may be also have been sponsorship and advertisement deals.

Yes exactly, for someone of his stature £4.5m seems about right.
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart

Just realised the whole modern run of Top Gear is on the iPlayer, including the first series without May, which usually gets ignored.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman

(14-10-2023, 10:35 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Just realised the whole modern run of Top Gear is on the iPlayer, including the first series without May, which usually gets ignored.

Yep - as far as I know, it even has the episode with Richard's crash, which was hard to come by for many years. IIRC it was never put into circulation on channels like Dave etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • UTVLifer

People tend to either ignore the fact, or don't know that Top Gear, along with the vast majority of other BBC entertainment shows are made through BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC.

BBC Studios generates around £1.4 billion of commercial revenue every year from their commercial arm and it is this money they use to fund big star salaries and of course this payout to Freddie.

Would part of that figure be coming from insurance?