BBC One Nightlight

No need for BBC Information now the help scheme has closed, I suppose.

The broadcast caption will still be showing up on SD receivers, of course, as long as it is broadcast for and the BBC will most likely make maximum use of their contract to keep it up for now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Jimbo2022

Quick update. All channels on 11112H on Astra 28 east now DVBS2 8PSK. As a result another 12 channels are nit available in older Sky SD boxes from today
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • interestednovice, Stuart

(08-03-2024, 03:31 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Quick update. All channels on 11112H on Astra 28 east now DVBS2 8PSK.
Is that number right? There aren't any BBC channels on that transponder.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web

(09-03-2024, 01:35 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  Is that number right? There aren't any BBC channels on that transponder.
No, but I assume that was an additional change happening on the platform which wasn't worth a seperate thread
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, Jimbo2022

(09-03-2024, 05:38 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  No, but I assume that was an additional change happening on the platform which wasn't worth a seperate thread

It was indeed simply a side reference linking the demise of older equipment. I was pointing out it was nit just the BBC that are not receivable now on older SD only equipment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • interestednovice

I think the BBC going DVB-S2 (and HD-only) is the “breaking of the dam” moment really. I suspect all other broadcasters will be quick to follow, although possibly minor channels will stay SD for a while if they can’t afford HD broadcast upgrades.

(10-03-2024, 01:06 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I think the BBC going DVB-S2 (and HD-only) is the “breaking of the dam” moment really. I suspect all other broadcasters will be quick to follow, although possibly minor channels will stay SD for a while if they can’t afford HD broadcast upgrades.
My understanding is that it's being driven by Sky, who are reducing/discontinuing SD on their platform
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice

oh interesting. will that mean we'll start to see the end of ridiculous SD music channels etc?

Would be good if Virgin could be as aggressive - which they were with the PSBs - but they still use HD channels as a differentiation. Sky News HD being on a higher plan is a particular annoyance.

(10-03-2024, 06:38 PM)Pete Wrote:  oh interesting. will that mean we'll start to see the end of ridiculous SD music channels etc?

Would be good if Virgin could be as aggressive - which they were with the PSBs - but they still use HD channels as a differentiation. Sky News HD being on a higher plan is a particular annoyance.

No not necessarily. It's going to be interesting what they do but Simulcasts in SD may be stopping and smaller channels will still be SD but in dvbs2 rather than DVBS.

BBC mux is and has to be dvbs for nightlight otherwise the notice would be pointless.

What prevents legacy older sky boxes receiving sone channels is not that they are in SD but primarily they are nit in DVBS. DVBS2 is nit supported on older equipment but one example the other way round us Channel 4 London in hd on 11127V. That us MPEG4/HD/DVBS and older equipment will not get thus either.

Older equipment will only get channels that are both MPEG2 and DVBS. But nothing to stop the SD channels running on DVBS2. If they do you need hd capable kit to receive them.

Hope that helps.

Will keep an eye on 10893H. If anything changes will let you know.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • interestednovice, Pete, Stuart

I suspect Sky would want to move to DVBS2 for their own transponders for efficiency reasons, with the goal of slimming down their bills to SES. Doesn't mean that every channel that sub-leases capacity from Sky would need to go HD.

Another obvious goal is for Sky to remove duplicate SD versions of their own channels - though they'd need to stop charging extra for HD! For Sky News in particular, I'm surprised they bother to encrypt the HD version still.
[-] The following 6 users Like i.h's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, ethanjbrady, interestednovice, Jimbo2022, Nige