BBC One Nightlight

(04-08-2023, 12:50 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Slightly OT, but BBC One South HD has a habit of occasionally pixelating/breaking up on our Freesat box. Maybe our dish is slightly misaligned, but it only happens on that one channel, which makes me think it's perhaps an issue with our dish's reception of that particular transponder? Seems most common during the news, for some reason. Anyway, I'm hoping when it eventually moves back to a BBC transponder, it'll fix it!
It could well be that. That transponder is a much higher frequency than the BBC ones. If there are any have a look at other channels on that polarity and high frequency, see if they're affected too
[-] The following 3 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman, interestednovice

(04-08-2023, 07:32 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It could well be that. That transponder is a much higher frequency than the BBC ones. If there are any have a look at other channels on that polarity and high frequency, see if they're affected too

I'll take a look. It's very infrequent - we're talking maybe once or twice per day, if that. So difficult to meaningfully test.

The strangest thing is, I swear I've seen it happen at *exactly* the same point in a specific BBC trail, repeatedly. Which is beyond weird.

IanJRedman Wrote:The strangest thing is, I swear I've seen it happen at *exactly* the same point in a specific BBC trail, repeatedly. Which is beyond weird.
It's not deliberate and included in the trail by any chance is it?

Like that dreadful holiday commercial which keeps dropping to colour bars.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web

The current cricket promo is a bit like that, all blocky

(04-08-2023, 12:50 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Slightly OT, but BBC One South HD has a habit of occasionally pixelating/breaking up on our Freesat box. Maybe our dish is slightly misaligned, but it only happens on that one channel, which makes me think it's perhaps an issue with our dish's reception of that particular transponder? Seems most common during the news, for some reason. Anyway, I'm hoping when it eventually moves back to a BBC transponder, it'll fix it!
When 'BBC One SW HD' turned up earlier this year on DSat I noticed a much better PQ than on the previous national BBC One HD channel.

I guessed it was because of the transponder change, unless my eyesight suddenly improved. Tongue

I thought the nightlight service wasn't ending until early 2024, but I suppose if hardly anyone is watching it may be a waste of TP space if they can either end the contract for it or re-use it. However, it also has all the national radio services, not just the TV channels. It's probably useful to turn things off one at a time.

Stuart Wrote:When 'BBC One SW HD' turned up earlier this year on DSat I noticed a much better PQ than on the previous national BBC One HD channel.

I guessed it was because of the transponder change, unless my eyesight suddenly improved.
We switch to SW HD for Spotlight because we can't stand Points Bristol, and notice a definite perceived picture quality increase on the network material on SW rather than West, even though they're both on the same transponder.

A silly suggestion, I know, but I often wonder if Bristol opt their SD desk in before the one o'clock news and leave it opted in until after the ten.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web

With BBC One SW being HD all the time, along with NE & Cumbria, London, North West and the nations, it's not really noticible when the regional galleries opt-in, but watching on the other regions, especially during Breakfast, the 1, 6 and 10 the PQ suddenly reverts to a SD upscale all too often.

I remember watching Breakfast on East Midlands HD and Nottingham opted in a good 9-10 mins before the opt-out, so was treated to the programme being in SD for periods throughout the programme. Other regions have opted in around 2-3 mins before the switch to the regional bulletin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice

Been watching tv through iPlayer in the bedroom recently as there’s an issue with signal. Was surprised to get the red screen of death during Breakfast yesterday despite having our region set correctly. Turns out the ‘watch live’ link that appears on the front page takes you to the national / HD channel feed, and you have to navigate to Channels and then the BBC One page to see the feed that includes your local news. Seems a silly user-unfriendly way of doing things.

It is easier for most programmes to have the single BBC one option ….
So that it’s a single operation to watch BBC one
And as this feed still exits as it was the only feed until March time …
But does “your region” live in your profile ….. that’s the right way to do it !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • interestednovice

(04-08-2023, 08:40 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  This notice started appearing between some programmes from 19 June.

It used to only appear about 3 times a day but now it is seen possibly at every programme junction whenever promos are carried elsewhere

[Image: vn89nj911h18.png]
[/quote]

A quick update. The notice shown above I have not seen on air since 4 August. 

A DD lightly different notice appears during local news still and that changed in June and still in use - referred to further back I think.

But thus one above was appearing in every junction at the start if August, and then vanished 

Anyone know what is going on with that? Thanks
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • SunburntRock89