ITV in '93: 30 Years since the last Franchise Shakeup

ITV part owned by Disney? Well in a way that happened with GMTV being partly owned by them.

Oh no, the TVS archive discussions again...

What did people prefer, Oracle or Teletext uk? Although Oracle had regional sections, Teletext had a more in depth one, with sub regions, such as Edinburgh for East Scotland.

I remember the time quite vividly it was the beginning of the end of itv as we knew it, the immediate impact was on weekday nights. When Thames were around, the schedule at night was pretty diverse then up came Carlton and all the thrash shows came up, you could tell Carlton was a publisher broadcaster. Some of the traditions started to disappear like a rich diverse regional schedules in the afternoon like an afternoon British soap, 2.50pm game shows. Gardening time would never make it into the schedule today ha.

A lot of the shows also disappeared in 1993 as well, some of the shows were quite established like Stay Lucky, Watching, Busman’s Holiday.

(25-12-2022, 11:43 AM)Nini Wrote:  Oh no, the TVS archive discussions again...

You won't get that from me Smile

I remember the watching the build up to the franchise changes on news bulletins on New Year’s Eve and the handover from TSW to Westcountry at midnight. 

Ruth Langsford and Ian Stirling bid farewell to TSW viewers, only to appear again shortly afterwards in the opening trailer for Westcountry with its "space age" technology.

www.youtube.com 

Whilst TSW had warmth with its in vision presentation, graphic design wasn’t its strong point.  Westcountry looked much smarter.  Though I recall Westcountry Live had a revamp to make the set much brighter not long after launch.

1993 was indeed a bad year for ITV.  Carlton, whose PR was a man who went by the name David Cameron, had a terrible reputation.  Sir Paul Fox, in The Story Of ITV, remarked Carlton hadn’t “produced one single decent programme in all the time they were on the screen”.

On the transition from Oracle to Teletext, I have a vague memory they had few technical issues on launch.  Some writers, like its TV critic Sam Brady, moved over. I remember Oracle had decent music coverage.  Teletext launched the infamous games magazine Digitiser.  There was also a short lived adult orientated page After Hours that appeared after 10pm, only to disappear for a break and never return.

(25-12-2022, 05:42 PM)robertclark125 Wrote:  What did people prefer, Oracle or Teletext uk? Although Oracle had regional sections, Teletext had a more in depth one, with sub regions, such as Edinburgh for East Scotland.
Teletext (it won the license as Teletext UK but was never called that) was totally regional, they had equipment at (IIRC) 24 transmitter sites so could, in theory broadcast a totally different teletext service from each.

I missed Oracle and never really got on with Teletext, but looking back it seems a lot more modern than its predecessor which seemed quite stuffy. It's the same with Thames, Carlton seems much more contemporary and Thames very old fashioned.

In 1993 the other big loss was 4Tel, which went from essentially a seperate teletext service to just programme ralelated when it became and 'ancillary service'. In fact for the first few weeks it was just listings . It's unique graphical style was lost which was a shame

Regarding the launch of Teletext there's an interesting interview with Graham Lovelace who went from Ceefax to launch Teletext. He goes into the launch of Teletext and his time there 
youtu.be 

There's also an interview with a founder of 4 Tel, interesting to hear about the conflict between them and Oracle 
youtu.be 

One thing my mum liked about Teletext, compared to Oracle, was how regional the regional sections were, divided into sub regions. She was able to get Fife football league results on Teletext, but couldn't when it was Oracle. I also liked how Teletext had the important phone numbers sections, for hospitals, railway stations, bus operators, in your area.

www.youtube.com  The start of the last ever TV-am

www.youtube.com  The end of the last ever TV-am
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • Rijowhi

If anyone is interested it seem one twitter/ youtube account is uploading every junction of Thames last day today.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Stuart, TVFan