ITV in '93: 30 Years since the last Franchise Shakeup

You know what in a couple of minutes it's going to be 2023, so I am just going to share them now
www.youtube.com  The handover from TSW to Westcountry

www.youtube.com  The handover from TVS to Meridian

www.youtube.com  The handover from Thames to Carlton
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • harshy

HAPPY NEW YEAR! www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • harshy

Before I go to sleep, here are the first 30 minutes of GMTV, Happy New Year once again www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Roger Darthwell's post:
  • ChipperBird, harshy

(01-01-2023, 01:45 AM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Before I go to sleep, here are the first 30 minutes of GMTV, Happy New Year once again www.youtube.com 

For how many years did GMTV do live news on New Year Day before it became entirely children’s programmes. Did they ever do anything live on Christmas or Boxing Day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(06-01-2023, 04:15 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(01-01-2023, 01:45 AM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Before I go to sleep, here are the first 30 minutes of GMTV, Happy New Year once again www.youtube.com 

For how many years did GMTV do live news on New Year Day before it became entirely children’s programmes. Did they ever do anything live on Christmas or Boxing Day.
From memory GMTV was only ever live for the News on Christmas and Boxing Day, anything was else was pre-recorded. I guess GMTV was only live on New Year’s Day in 1993 as it was their first day, which definitely would’ve gathered a lot of attention. I guess it was a soft launch for the next week when Michael Wilson and Fiona Armstrong arrived.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • Newshound47

I sometimes wonder if they picked January 1 1993 because it fell on a Friday. If both companies for London lost their licence that would have seen the new companies go both on air on the same day, one at midnight and the other at 5:15.

Although of course its more likely it just happened to start on a Friday, after all the ones from 1982 started on a Friday too (the 1968 franchises started on a Monday)

(06-01-2023, 08:11 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I sometimes wonder if they picked January 1 1993 because it fell on a Friday.  If both companies for London lost their licence that would have seen the new companies go both on air on the same day, one at midnight and the other at 5:15.

Although of course its more likely it just happened to start on a Friday, after all the ones from 1982 started on a Friday too (the 1968 franchises started on a Monday)

They didn't have much of a choice, as the date Jan 1st 1993 was set down a decade before with the Jan 1st 1982 new franchise launch, and they decided to have a full decade inclusive, meaning using all of 1992 before the new franchise period started.

(06-01-2023, 08:00 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 04:15 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  For how many years did GMTV do live news on New Year Day before it became entirely children’s programmes. Did they ever do anything live on Christmas or Boxing Day.
From memory GMTV was only ever live for the News on Christmas and Boxing Day, anything was else was pre-recorded. I guess GMTV was only live on New Year’s Day in 1993 as it was their first day, which definitely would’ve gathered a lot of attention. I guess it was a soft launch for the next week when Michael Wilson and Fiona Armstrong arrived.

To be fair it was a proper launch because Eammon and Anna Davis did present the Friday edition.

(06-01-2023, 08:50 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 08:11 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I sometimes wonder if they picked January 1 1993 because it fell on a Friday.  If both companies for London lost their licence that would have seen the new companies go both on air on the same day, one at midnight and the other at 5:15.

They didn't have much of a choice, as the date Jan 1st 1993 was set down a decade before with the Jan 1st 1982 new franchise launch, and they decided to have a full decade inclusive, meaning using all of 1992 before the new franchise period started.

No it didn't, the 1982 licence was only for 8 years? They were in fact extended to 31st Dec 1992 because of the new Auction process.

(07-01-2023, 12:26 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  
(06-01-2023, 08:50 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  They didn't have much of a choice, as the date Jan 1st 1993 was set down a decade before with the Jan 1st 1982 new franchise launch, and they decided to have a full decade inclusive, meaning using all of 1992 before the new franchise period started.

No it didn't, the 1982 licence was only for 8 years?  They were in fact extended to 31st Dec 1992 because of the new Auction process.

Well Angela Rippon said on the first TV-am "hope to see you not just for this morning's programmes but every morning at least for the next eight years".  Then that went all downhill but that's another discussion.

That statement at fact value would have taken them on face value to February 1991, TV-am of course launching in 1983.

Interesting to note though, the 1982 franchises were extended actually in 1987.

The act doesn't appear on the online legislation, but here's some discussion in the House of Lords about it from the time:

api.parliament.uk 

Quote:[As of February 1987] The ITV contracts now in force expire on 31 December 1989. Unless some action is taken, the IBA will advertise during the course of this year [1987] new contracts for a maximum of eight years, to run from the beginning of 1990 until the end of 1997. This would mean that there would be no opportunity for changes to the contracts system itself, or for other changes that might closely affect new contracts, before 1998.

We have discussed this problem with the IBA and as a result have come to the conclusion that the best course would be to provide in the Bill for a three-year extension of the existing contracts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Milkshake

At least Rippon lasted 8 weeks