GB News

(24-02-2024, 04:27 PM)radiorebel Wrote:  I am also very interested in what happens during the election when a lot of their schedule will have to be scrapped?

Perhaps a temporary rebrand to Patrick Christy’s News? With shows including “ Patrick’s Breakfast, Patrick’s Newsroom & Patrick Christy’s Today”.

Realistically, there’s not that many that would have to go off schedule. Jacob Rees Mogg, Lee Anderson, Farage (if he chose to stand) and Richard Tice who doesn’t have a fixed place in the schedule.
Lee Anderson only does one hour a week (an extra hour of Mark Dolan?) And Rees Mogg’s show may just be an extended Farage during that period or Chris Hope/Tominey covering.

(24-02-2024, 04:06 PM)Keith Wrote:  Without going into the politics I wonder if Lee Anderson will be 'taking a break' from his GB News show. His comments last night, which I assume were on his 7pm show have made headlines for the wrong reason.

Without going in to the politics, is it too he 'wrong' reason? I'm sure GB News are glad he said it on GB News and not Newsnight or LK Today or similar. It's all extra publicity for the channel and won't lead to anything from Ofcom or people boycotting the channel who weren't already doing so.

It's probably good for Lee Anderson's career too. I assume he sees GB News as his main job. It probably pays more than being the chairman of the Conservative party and probably has more job security at the moment too so anything that increases awareness of him and his show will be seen as a good thing.

GB News offering the most entertaining coverage tonight and they called the result early. Not sure how they’re going to stretch it out till 6am..

Mod note: Post on by-election coverage moved to GB News thread

Confirmation of what most probably suspected, that Laurence Fox's comments on GB News broke OFCOM rules, ref
news.sky.com .

It's interesting to note from the article that Dan Wootton remains suspended. Given that Fox was fairly swiftly sacked I'm guessing HR (and possibly lawyers) have decided it's easier not to sack him, but keep him off-air suspended until his contract expires.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer

There are continual references to not being able to comment regarding an 'employment' situation that kept GBNews from making certain elements of this public until 1st March, I presume that's the situation here.

It makes for interesting reading, certainly - both sides accounts don't tally with one another, Dan apparently saying they didn't tell him to apologise immediately at the time (one might say that someone that heavily involved in the world of broadcasting shouldn't need nudging, but that's by the by). GB News on the other hand saying they had a wording prepared that he refused to deliver. Hard to rationalise it other than "one side is lying to throw the other under the bus", but which?
[-] The following 1 user Likes agemame's post:
  • Brekkie

GB News has reported a £42.4m annual operating loss (for its financial year ending 05/23), an increase of 38% over the previous year's loss of £30.7m.

Revenues have grown considerably to £6.7m (up 80% YoY), but spending has also risen significantly, such that the cost of sales is now more than six times higher than the revenues generated.

This is actually an improvement -- during the previous FY, losses were ten times greater than revenue.

GBN still believes it will achieve its "stated ambition of becoming the UK's largest news channel by 2028", based on "encouraging" increases in usage of the GBN website and app, and user engagement across its social media presence.

Further details here: pressgazette.co.uk 

You can view the full accounts filing at Companies House here: find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes LDN's post:
  • UTVLifer

SKY are reporting the Dan Wottten has left GB News to setup his own platform
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheJarv's post:
  • Toby brown

With Wootton now officially a former presenter, I think this leaves just Michelle Dewberry, Nana Akua and Neil Oliver the last originals standing.

(05-03-2024, 05:13 PM)LDN Wrote:  You can view the full accounts filing at Companies House here: find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk 
Some more notable figures.....

Revenue from TV and online rose by £3m,
Costs grew by £16m.

Staff numbers went from 175 in May 2022 to 295 in May 2023.

Employees on average earn more than £60k

Debt has doubled, to £87 million, almost all to parent company. It's debt to income ratio is 13:1

'digital revenue' (YouTube, website etc) is a third of the companies revenue. That has gone up four times to £2.1 million

Interestingly £1.3 million of its revenue is from abroad, presumably people watching outside the UK which is one way they're expanding

Ad revenue is up to £4 million from £3.2

One other interesting figure is what it pays into it's employees pension schemes: 3% contribution to their 5%.... that is low in my experience

...... I love looking at Companies House filings, fascinating things, but I'm a little sad like that
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • RhysJR

I’d recommend listening to today’s episode of The Rest Is Entertainment, quite a bit of time is given talking about GB News, not necessarily about content but in terms of viewership numbers and talent costs. Time is spent discussing the linear numbers and the numbers reached online with viral clips and the like.
[-] The following 3 users Like nwtv2003's post:
  • London Lite, Stooky Bill, UTVLifer

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread