GB News

Looks like Sir Paul marshall is leaving the board, and a restructuring/redundancy program is in place. It seems to me he's trying to redouble efforts to acquire the Telegraph, and his taking his portion of the bankroll with him:

news.sky.com 

GBN are having a live news special from midnight tonight called "Israel Under Attack" presented by Mark Dolan due to the incoming attack on Israel launched by Iran.

I doubt this would be an all-nighter (depending on the severity of the attack) probably just an hour or two, then back to the normal overnight replays from 1 or 2am

With TalkTV ceasing as a linear channel on Friday 26th, it will be interesting to see where their viewing share will go.

Latest BARB figures for GB News in March show a viewing share of 0.66% and average daily minutes of 1m 1s.

TalkTV's are 0.13% and 12s.

Sky News' are 0.73% and 1m 8s.

If GB News inherit around 50% of TalkTV's share and minutes they could surpass Sky News for the first time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes derek500's post:
  • MLehon

GB News is set to begin a round of redundancy, with 40 personnel set to be cut.

On the production side, they were already quite light we think, so I'd be interested to see where they will be aiming for the cuts to be targeted at. One would imagine the big name hosts would command big fees and would help with the profit margin if some of those departed.

pressgazette.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • UTVLifer

(19-04-2024, 05:18 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  GB News is set to begin a round of redundancy, with 40 personnel set to be cut.

On the production side, they were already quite light we think, so I'd be interested to see where they will be aiming for the cuts to be targeted at. One would imagine the big name hosts would command big fees and would help with the profit margin if some of those departed.

pressgazette.co.uk 

Press Gazette estimate its around 295 staff, up from around 175 at launch (and aiming for around 14% reduction) it's hardly an unusual trim, and definitely not as dramatic as this hypobilic bod apparently said: "One staffer at the channel told Press Gazette there was “a real ‘last days of Saigon’ vibe in the office right now”

I'd dispute that 295 is light for channel that's mainly panels, contributers and zoom calls. That's not a Dis, they have some genuinely interesting guests, but they arnt fully supporting UK wide reporting or international news - They don't have the costs that come with an Alex Crawford and her team (and security, safety etc) that Sky bear.

They use Dina as the NRCS and Mosart for production control, but apparently not to it's fullest potential for workflow efficiency, they panicked after launch and over compensated with headcount rather than smart.

Would anyone notice (whos already watching) if the channel was run on 200 staff? Probably not
[-] The following 2 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • RhysJR, thomash79

It would that Peter Andre has left his Saturday morning programme on GB News after only a number of months. Had he been on paternity leave doubtful they would have gone to the expense of producing a new promo which has appeared tonight for "Saturday Morning Live with Ellie & Ben". Ellie has also been off her own programme in recent weeks as she's been covering Saturday Breakfast. The overnight promos really have become tedious to watch so good to see something fresh tonight. If I hear Tom Harwood saying once more "we don't hold back" .......
[-] The following 1 user Likes MLehon's post:
  • TJTSW

It's hard to see this as anything other than a definition of rules of engagement for GBNews.

www.ofcom.org.uk 

The summary is that, while there's no reason to not use politicians on a news channel, they must not be in any position that implies that they are acting in an impartial, distanced manner on any news item - purely the current affairs side. I don't think there's anything new here, just a clear restatement for all parties.

The moratorium on any campaigning politician appearing as a presenter also remains, but that's not news either.

"Campaigning politician" seems too loose a definition if that doesn't cover outgoing MPs, former MPs (including Prime Ministers) or figures strongly associated with political parties or movements but not standing. It seems there is a loophole there which GB News would argue would permit Boris Johnson to front election themed programming by stating it's current affairs rather than news.

To emphasise one of the forum rules - particularly for the benefit of those who seem oblivious:

"Posting a link to a news article, website or any social media item without comment is not permitted, unless, for example, it is used as a means of answering a question from an earlier post. Starting a new thread in this manner will result in the thread being deleted."

It's funny you should say that, Josh Howie on the Headliners programme not long back possibly accidentally said that "Boris Johnson was joining them to present for election cycle" or words to that effect. Which we whilst I think we knew Johnson was joining the channel, possibly in a similar capacity to John Cleese last year, I don't think they'd perviously been an indication he'd be be taking a role presenting regular GB News style programming.

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread