GB News

Again, I agree that GB News and TalkTV are not news channels in a traditional sense. I don't think TalkTV ever proclaimed to be a news channel. That said, GB News do break news throughout the day albeit either via their programmes or on their bulletins so I suppose they are a news channel but I do wonder if the rolling news format is dying out.

....it's interesting that Sky News' efforts to compete with GB News and a lesser extent Talk TV with their 9pm headline shows appear to be a failure, based on the odd ratings we get.

(14-12-2022, 06:06 PM)derek500 Wrote:  ....it's interesting that Sky News' efforts to compete with GB News and a lesser extent Talk TV with their 9pm headline shows appear to be a failure, based on the odd ratings we get.

I don't think Sky News or BBC News are competing, both can't go as downmarket as GB News or Talk TV, there is only a certain level where the can go, and they simply don't want to waste their time or money. 

It is now a basic choice - if you just want pure news, watch Sky News or BBC News. If you want pure opinion, with a dribble of news headlines thrown in then choose GB News or Talk TV.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Gibsy

The problem with Sky News and BBC News is that their focus has become more on international news than what is going on here. That is mainly the reason why the likes of GB News and TalkTV were set up because of their focus to the UK.

The problem with TalkTV is that it tried to bring their radio format on to TV expecting viewers to watch in their numbers but they haven't. Like I said in one of my posts, they either have a complete overhaul along with a rebranding or they go back to being a radio station alone.

GB News will always have its mockers and haters but no-one should deny that there is a place for them in the media landscape. Personally, I think that GB News will keep on growing but that doesn't mean that they should stop improving themselves especially with that tired looking studio.

(14-12-2022, 10:42 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  The problem with Sky News and BBC News is that their focus has become more on international news than what is going on here. That is mainly the reason why the likes of GB News and TalkTV were set up because of their focus to the UK.

The problem with TalkTV is that it tried to bring their radio format on to TV expecting viewers to watch in their numbers but they haven't. Like I said in one of my posts, they either have a complete overhaul along with a rebranding or they go back to being a radio station alone.

GB News will always have its mockers and haters but no-one should deny that there is a place for them in the media landscape. Personally, I think that GB News will keep on growing but that doesn't mean that they should stop improving themselves especially with that tired looking studio.
Yes, because the hours upon hours of daily reports across tv, radio, and socials from the BBC’s network of nations and regions is shown up by… oh, yes, that it… a selection of talking heads who natter inanely offering blow hard opinions.

I really don’t think the charge that the BBC doesn’t ‘focus on what is happening here’ holds any water when you actually compare the sheer volume of original and insightful journalism compared with, well, the waffle of GB News
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matrix's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

If the BBC was really that competent and covered what was happening this country, there wouldn't have been a need for GB News.

The news output on GB News is rather tokenistic compared to their ambitions to provide content from across the regions throughout the day at launch.

Don't get me wrong, they've found a niche where an echo chamber wheel of topics is used on a daily basis to provide content to a tiny section of the market which makes LBC a broad church in comparison, but it doesn't expose viewers to meaningful factual content which is what you get from the BBC and Sky, but the target demo for GBN isn't those who'd choose to watch mainstream news in the first place.

If you like the old Sunrise presenters and tabloid discussion about certain Royals or immigration, it's for you.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • benzj, Matrix, strollfan

(14-12-2022, 11:33 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  If the BBC was really that competent and covered what was happening this country, there wouldn't have been a need for GB News.
But of course there would be. GB News is a conscious effort to, from their perspective, ‘provide an alternative’. From what I can see, this mainly revolves around platforming commentators who wouldn’t typically be called upon. 

So, I’m left wondering this: what exactly does GB News cover that isn’t picked up by the BBC, ITN, Sky, or even Talk, Global etc. 

I’m all for a plurality of media (yes, even the Poundland journalism offered by GBN) but let’s be real: they’re not the ones breaking the mould and covering untold stories.
[-] The following 2 users Like Matrix's post:
  • benzj, callumwatchestelly

In France, after having increased their ratings for a bit, especially due to the pandemic, right-wing opinion channel CNEWS has hit a glass ceiling and has stagnated for a bit already.

People got bored after a while. Ratings were already noticeably lower on weekends than on weekdays and on days the weather was nice outdoors. A lot less stable of a viewerbase than the traditional news channels.

GBNews would've been a bigger success had it launched during lockdown. Now, the only question is when the viewer growth will stop and the channel with start stagnating. People get bored of listening to opinion 24/7, even if it is something they agree with.

Separately, I, and a lot of the French TV forum members, are always surprised when seeing such low news channel ratings in the UK (though France has exceptionally higher news channel ratings at around 8% of total audience share!)
[-] The following 3 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • benzj, Happy2001, London Lite

(14-12-2022, 11:48 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  In France, after having increased their ratings for a bit, especially due to the pandemic, right-wing opinion channel CNEWS has hit a glass ceiling and has stagnated for a bit already.

People got bored after a while. Ratings were already noticeably lower on weekends than on weekdays and on days the weather was nice outdoors. A lot less stable of a viewerbase than the traditional news channels.

GBNews would've been a bigger success had it launched during lockdown. Now, the only question is when the viewer growth will stop and the channel with start stagnating. People get bored of listening to opinion 24/7, even if it is something they agree with.

Separately, I, and a lot of the French TV forum members, are always surprised when seeing such low news channel ratings in the UK (though France has exceptionally higher news channel ratings at around 8% of total audience share!)

One thing that helps in France is the news channels have low EPG numbers on TNT while in the UK on Freeview they're in the 230s and on Sky in the 500s. In the UK, a home shopping channel can park themselves on LCN 16 while Sky News is on 233 sharing a section with the opinionated channels which should be in their own part of the EPG.
[-] The following 4 users Like London Lite's post:
  • benzj, Happy2001, LargelyALurker, matthieu1221

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread