GB News

(02-02-2023, 06:50 PM)TVViewer256 Wrote:  EDIT: Laurence Fox's show is pencilled in during the 8-9pm slot at the moment and is until at least 14 February (no listings beyond that). Previously it was presenters covering under the 'Mark Steyn' branding, though this week Mark Dolan has been filling in under the Laurence Fox show branding. Make of that what you will.

I took the slot being renamed as a big clue he's not returning. The channel has done heaps of sick and holiday cover and they have always seemed to follow the industry standard of staying branded to the shows prime host. And there's two pretty credible reasons why floating over him, one is the heart attack which might require him to reduce his schedule, the other being the Ofcom case against him, that if upheld (and I personally guess that it will be) gives GBN a very convenient "nothing to see here, we've already parted ways" angle.

The other thing I noticed was when others were covering the Steyn show, on a nightly basis they were giving well wishes Steyn and saying he would be back soon. Then almost overnight, the slot changed to Laurence Fox, and I've not heard Steyn's name mentioned on the channel since. Silent, unannounced goodbyes do seem to be the channels MO, people are just there until they're not.

(02-02-2023, 07:56 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I never thought I would ever say this, but Farage programme on GB News is balanced and fair (mostly).

Agreed, it is quite surprising. The show is certainly more balanced than Neil Oliver, Bev Turner & Steyn.
[-] The following 2 users Like radiorebel's post:
  • MLehon, Stockland Hillman

(02-02-2023, 10:20 PM)radiorebel Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 07:56 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I never thought I would ever say this, but Farage programme on GB News is balanced and fair (mostly).

Agreed, it is quite surprising. The show is certainly more balanced than Neil Oliver, Bev Turner & Steyn.

Farage puts Dan Wootton to shame - if I had to watch a GB News show on a regular basis, it would be Farage.

(03-02-2023, 12:24 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(02-02-2023, 10:20 PM)radiorebel Wrote:  Agreed, it is quite surprising. The show is certainly more balanced than Neil Oliver, Bev Turner & Steyn.

Farage puts Dan Wootton to shame - if I had to watch a GB News show on a regular basis, it would be Farage.

And that is what it should be about. Nothing wrong with having a general centre-right outlook on the channel but that it should mean giving guests of other political persuasions the chance to get to get their viewpoints across. I know Michelle Dewberry does it on her show as well but easy to see why Nigel is a ratings winner.

Michelle’s Dewberry’s show has developed into a very good watch. She gets people in from both sides of an argument and it can be really good television.

Farage of course is actually an excellent presenter, always has been everywhere he’s popped up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scrotnig's post:
  • derek500

When Farage was on LBC, everyone was expecting a skewed show similar to what GB News does in some time slots, but he listened to opposing viewpoints and is a natural broadcaster, regardless of his political views.

Admittedly I haven't watched many of Farage's GB News shows, but Talking Pints is one of the better features on the channel which plays to Farage's strengths.

Looks like Steyn has left - his profile has been taken off the website. Oh well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • London Lite

Mark was always better off on the American news channels where he was allowed to let rip. Hopefully he will be allowed to build himself back up whilst taking it easy with his health.

I guess it shows that GB News needs to be more smart when it comes to broadcasting news from a centre-right point of view.

twitter.com 

Mod Edit to amend the Twitter URL to display correctly

(06-02-2023, 05:57 PM)gottago Wrote:  twitter.com 

Not before time. Surely Neil Oliver will be next? His show on Saturday was full of anti-Semitic conspiracy theories - and not for the first time. If GBN are looking to be taken seriously they'd do well to take a good long look at his show (and others).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • cando

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread