GB News

www.theguardian.com 

I don't usually look at the GB News website, as the quality is appalling. But I have noticed a common trait they seem to indulge in now, weather predictions of disaster weather to hit soon.

Just checked today, and they have this weather prediction about the polar vortex.

This is pure scaremongering (something GB News accuses BBC, ITV and Sky of during the pandemic) and has a very Daily Mail and Daily Express type of scare story about the weather.

When you check the Met Office website, we have two yellow warnings for snow and ice in Scotland, and nothing else for the rest of this week. Also reading the official Met Office long range forecast, it has no sign of any warning of massive weather changes.

What is GB News up to?

www.gbnews.uk 

Clickbait, same as the Express and Mail websites tend to do with the weather.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • GMc, JMT1985

Apologies if mentioned already but Jacob Rees-Mogg will replace Steyn. There’s an interview with the GB News CEO on the Media Show, which is where it’s confirmed and is also worth a listen.

podnews.net 

(07-02-2023, 01:41 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  
(07-02-2023, 12:54 PM)Krede Wrote:  pressgazette.co.uk 

This won't happen - in its current form - for one simple reason.

GB News doesn't tell you what you need to know. By and large, it tells you what you should think. 

If you're inclined to buy it, you'll lap it up. If you're not, you won't.

I think the bigger problem is they nailed their colours to the mast and alienated a significant chunk of the potential audience, and any attempt to offer something even slightly more balanced then alienates their target audience who stomp around threatening to turn off.   Heck they'll probably see Jacob Rees Mogg as a left wing appointment.

And it's bad enough MPs having such a gig at the weekend or filling in during recess, but surely having a nightly gig, which will clash with Parliament sitting and Parliamentary votes, votes they may be reporting on, is not sustainable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • fatal paper cut, Jeff

JRM surely can't do a nightly show whilst an MP? That's wrong in so many ways. I could understand him 'replacing' Steyn by him going to the Friday night slot and Fox taking on Steyn's nightly slot.

(08-02-2023, 10:06 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Clickbait, same as the Express and Mail websites tend to do with the weather.

They're now actually acting exactly like the Express, down to the random capitalising of words in the headlines!

Met Office announces a major Sudden Stratospheric Warming event is now underway which will DISPLACE the Polar Vortex - UK facing "COPIOUS amounts of snow"

Not only did they take the copious amounts of snow quote from infamous Exacta Weather (same as the Express and never right) but they have actually misrepresented it. It says "we could be looking at a prolonged cold period of around two weeks during March with some potentially copious amounts of snow.”

Make it worse, this new "style" isn't limited to weather clickbait. 

Nicola Bulley diver ENDS SEARCH...

North Korea... BIGGEST EVER military parade

PMQs: Tory MPs LAUGH as Sir Keir Starmer claims Labour can be trusted on Nato

Donald Trump to RETURN to Facebook and Instagram.

I'm not sure if going after the ever-dwindling Express readership ties in with becoming the biggest news channel by 2028 but who knows. Maybe the apparent huge silenced minority is actually much bigger than anyone thinks  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Adsales's post:
  • Kojak

(09-02-2023, 10:39 AM)Adsales Wrote:  
(08-02-2023, 10:06 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Clickbait, same as the Express and Mail websites tend to do with the weather.

They're now actually acting exactly like the Express, down to the random capitalising of words in the headlines!

Met Office announces a major Sudden Stratospheric Warming event is now underway which will DISPLACE the Polar Vortex - UK facing "COPIOUS amounts of snow"

Not only did they take the copious amounts of snow quote from infamous Exacta Weather (same as the Express and never right) but they have actually misrepresented it. It says "we could be looking at a prolonged cold period of around two weeks during March with some potentially copious amounts of snow.”

I'm not sure if going after the ever-dwindling Express readership ties in with becoming the biggest news channel by 2028 but who knows. Maybe the apparent huge silenced minority is actually much bigger than anyone thinks  Big Grin

Looking at facts rather than assumptions..sorry FACTS

Express is Number #10 uk news website,  #55 most visited overall in UK. For comparison The Sun is only #8

www.similarweb.com 

According to trade publication Press Gazette its had significant growth over last 2 years. 

So it's pretty obvious given the brand demographics that writing and headline style would give hints for GB News to copy.

Everyone changes style and story selection to win online. For example BBC Newsbeats #2  top story as I write:"Kardashian's vaginal health gummies upset experts"

(09-02-2023, 12:57 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(09-02-2023, 10:39 AM)Adsales Wrote:  They're now actually acting exactly like the Express, down to the random capitalising of words in the headlines!

Looking at facts rather than assumptions..sorry FACTS

Express is Number #10 uk news website,  #55 most visited overall in UK. For comparison The Sun is only #8

www.similarweb.com 

According to trade publication Press Gazette its had significant growth over last 2 years. 

So it's pretty obvious given the brand demographics that writing and headline style would give hints for GB News to copy.

Everyone changes style and story selection to win online. For example BBC Newsbeats #2  top story as I write:"Kardashian's vaginal health gummies upset experts"
Each outlet will have their own style guide and form of associated presentation. Sky, for example, have employed capitalisation in their ticker format. 

As for the headlines, it's clear the idea behind capitalisation that isn't just proper nouns relates to adding an emphasis to the story. 'Met office warns of snow' compared with Met Office WARNS of snow' adds a degree of the editorial slant, although its typically found in publications with a lower reading age (and less complicated headline descriptor in general) than some other print publications. In that sense, it's perfectly in-keeping for GB News to try and angle their headlines to a format which is, on the whole, more familiar with their target audience of Daily Express/Mail type readers. 

It is fascinating though and a proper analysis of their brand will, I suspect, support some of the more directive messaging these sort of approaches reveal.

Didn’t they have someone join them who came the Express? Can’t recall now.

I would say, I quite enjoy some shows on the channel, though their website wouldn’t be where I’d go for news (any more than the Express website would be).

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread