BBC/ITV South East News

Another ikea set in SD, I think only Reporting Scotland and Newsline have an ikea set in HD.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • Stuart, UTVLifer

(27-09-2023, 09:01 PM)harshy Wrote:  Another ikea set in SD, I think only Reporting Scotland and Newsline have an ikea set in HD.

Leeds is now HD, is it not?

(27-09-2023, 07:08 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have at least furnished the studio with new HD cameras - not that it'll do much good until the rest of the chain goes HD.
I don't blame the project staff for trying to operate with limited funds, but doing 'half a job' really doesn't help.

I am beginning to think it would be better if they had waited until the funds were available to do the infrastructure chain upgrades before the fancy set downgrades.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • UTVLifer

(27-09-2023, 09:18 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Leeds is now HD, is it not?

No, it's still upscaled SD.

(27-09-2023, 09:34 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I don't blame the project staff for trying to operate with limited funds, but doing 'half a job' really doesn't help.

I am beginning to think it would be better if they had waited until the funds were available to do the infrastructure chain upgrades before the fancy set downgrades.

I thought these were happening across the English regions but as a separate project by different teams and so will happen at different times.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • IanJRedman, Ma76

(27-09-2023, 10:47 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I thought these were happening across the English regions but as a separate project by different teams and so will happen at different times.
I'm sure someone mentioned that there are only two teams working their way through all the English regions. There was a slowdown during summer which was perhaps due to higher levels of annual leave.

Regions also have different equipment upgrade requirements, so not all will have the same project timescale. They also don't know what unexpected things they will find when starting the work.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer

(28-09-2023, 01:39 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I'm sure someone mentioned that there are only two teams working their way through all the English regions. There was a slowdown during summer which was perhaps due to higher levels of annual leave.
Some posters have come to the conclusion that because two temporary sets are making the rounds, that there are two separate teams doing the work. I suspect this is unlikely to be the case - put simply, the people building the videowalls are not going to be the same people who are training and helping the local teams integrate the new sets into their programmes - these are two distinct parts to the process, and two distinct skill sets, of getting the new sets on air.

The facility upgrades required for HD broadcasting will be a major undertaking for each site, far more complicated and disruptive than changing the sets around. Furthermore, the amount of work will vary quite considerably - a small, relatively modern facility like Hull will probably require little infrastructure changes and just need new equipment fitting to the existing spaces; while for an older, larger site like Southampton it may end up easier to rip everything out and start from scratch. These works will have significant planning and implementation stages, and this work won't be being done by the set fitters. It's worth remembering that you need to upgrade far more than just the cameras to start outputting in HD.
[-] The following 9 users Like mcrdev's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Earlie37, harshy, IanJRedman, London Lite, Ma76, Spencer, UTVLifer

What cameras are Southampton using it’s got done weird edge definition going on and the moire on the screens is even more obvious, presumably as the cameras are too close ? Also I noticed the top part seems to be a more simplified version of the top rim compared to the other regions and studio b.

(28-09-2023, 11:43 AM)harshy Wrote:  What cameras are Southampton using it’s got done weird edge definition going on and the moire on the screens is even more obvious, presumably as the cameras are too close ? Also I noticed the top part seems to be a more simplified version of the top rim compared to the other regions and studio b.

Do you mean Tunbridge Wells, not Southampton?

(28-09-2023, 09:01 AM)mcrdev Wrote:  Some posters have come to the conclusion that because two temporary sets are making the rounds, that there are two separate teams doing the work. I suspect this is unlikely to be the case - put simply, the people building the videowalls are not going to be the same people who are training and helping the local teams integrate the new sets into their programmes - these are two distinct parts to the process, and two distinct skill sets, of getting the new sets on air.

The facility upgrades required for HD broadcasting will be a major undertaking for each site, far more complicated and disruptive than changing the sets around. Furthermore, the amount of work will vary quite considerably - a small, relatively modern facility like Hull will probably require little infrastructure changes and just need new equipment fitting to the existing spaces; while for an older, larger site like Southampton it may end up easier to rip everything out and start from scratch. These works will have significant planning and implementation stages, and this work won't be being done by the set fitters. It's worth remembering that you need to upgrade far more than just the cameras to start outputting in HD.

Southampton has already had the HD upgrade some time ago Smile

(28-09-2023, 12:09 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Do you mean Tunbridge Wells, not Southampton?

Southampton has already had the HD upgrade some time ago Smile

Sorry Tunbridge Wells