BBC/ITV South East News

I remember reading they're waiting to upgrade Norwich's gallery before they upgrade the studio?

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(30-09-2023, 03:14 PM)Josh Wrote:  I remember reading they're waiting to upgrade Norwich's gallery before they upgrade the studio?
I'd have thought they'd be able to upgrade the gallery by simply using the old Cambridge kit. That may not be the latest spec but was at least capable of modern graphics.

Depending on what's left in Cambridge decamping there for a couple weeks might be an option, instead of using a temporary set. From memory that studio was slightly smaller than Norwich's.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Superman1986

(30-09-2023, 03:27 PM)Keith Wrote:  I'd have thought they'd be able to upgrade the gallery by simply using the old Cambridge kit. That may not be the latest spec but was at least capable of modern graphics.

Depending on what's left in Cambridge decamping there for a couple weeks might be an option, instead of using a temporary set. From memory that studio was slightly smaller than Norwich's.

I thought it had been said that Cambridge kit whilst far newer was now outdated - especially if they are trying to standardise kit in the English regions. I also believe someone said they'd already stripped the Cambridge studio so a temporary studio or will be. I think I'd seen a picture where they had made space for it ages ago.

(30-09-2023, 03:27 PM)Keith Wrote:  I'd have thought they'd be able to upgrade the gallery by simply using the old Cambridge kit. That may not be the latest spec but was at least capable of modern graphics.

This is the thing I've found most confusing since the closure of Cambridge. The Cambridge gallery was better equipped and more capable than the Norwich gallery. It had animated graphics which the Norwich gallery doesn't, and from what I've heard it was HD capable (although the studio cameras weren't).

I know the BBC intend to migrate all the English regions to a setup built around a Ross Graphite, so I can understand why they they don't want to re-engineer Norwich only to have to do it again shortly after. However it does beg the question why they closed Cambridge in favour of Norwich, when in my mind it would have made more sense to close Norwich and use Cambridge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orry Verducci's post:
  • chrisherald

(30-09-2023, 04:31 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  This is the thing I've found most confusing since the closure of Cambridge. The Cambridge gallery was better equipped and more capable than the Norwich gallery. It had animated graphics which the Norwich gallery doesn't, and from what I've heard it was HD capable (although the studio cameras weren't).

I know the BBC intend to migrate all the English regions to a setup built around a Ross Graphite, so I can understand why they they don't want to re-engineer Norwich only to have to do it again shortly after. However it does beg the question why they closed Cambridge in favour of Norwich, when in my mind it would have made more sense to close Norwich and use Cambridge.
I'm sure there were other factors at play rather than just the gallery equipment being better in Cambridge. Norwich probably has a higher amount of Look East staff working at it and would be considered as a more central location in the East region. 

I am quite surprised however that the Norwich set and gallery weren't some of the first to be upgrade when both rollout programmes began. Viewers in the former West region are now getting a worse programme both in terms of editorial content but also in terms of production standards. 

Norwich is clearly the region in the biggest need of a new set and gallery, but it doesn't seem like either of those will be upgraded anytime soon. In terms of funding, does each region have to get together the money for these upgrades or does the wider BBC pay for them?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFTJA's post:
  • Superman1986

(30-09-2023, 05:20 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I'm sure there were other factors at play rather than just the gallery equipment being better in Cambridge. Norwich probably has a higher amount of Look East staff working at it and would be considered as a more central location in the East region. 

I am quite surprised however that the Norwich set and gallery weren't some of the first to be upgrade when both rollout programmes began. Viewers in the former West region are now getting a worse programme both in terms of editorial content but also in terms of production standards. 

Norwich is clearly the region in the biggest need of a new set and gallery, but it doesn't seem like either of those will be upgraded anytime soon. In terms of funding, does each region have to get together the money for these upgrades or does the wider BBC pay for them?

The Norwich gallery is in the process of being upgraded to the Ross system at the moment - they’re piloting with it. I think the intro from Politics East last week showed it: pres.cafe 
[-] The following 6 users Like hermes's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, IanJRedman, London Lite, Ma76, MFTJA

(30-09-2023, 05:20 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I'm sure there were other factors at play rather than just the gallery equipment being better in Cambridge. Norwich probably has a higher amount of Look East staff working at it and would be considered as a more central location in the East region. 

I'm pretty sure the work to upgrade Norwich to HD has already started, at least in part. They went off air for a weekend in early June, which was cited as being related to an eventual HD upgrade. There are probably numerous points in the chain which all need work done. But there is a timeline for both HD and new sets to roll out to all the regions.

EDIT - Sorry, I took my sweet time writing that. Didn't see the prior post! Great news!
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • chrisherald

I don't see how Norwich could be considered to be more central in location for the region than Cambridge.
[-] The following 2 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • bkman1990, Spencer

(30-09-2023, 06:04 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the work to upgrade Norwich to HD has already started, at least in part. They went off air for a weekend in early June, which was cited as being related to an eventual HD upgrade. There are probably numerous points in the chain which all need work done. But there is a timeline for both HD and new sets to roll out to all the regions.

EDIT - Sorry, I took my sweet time writing that. Didn't see the prior post! Great news!

Awesome, when will Leeds get upgraded to HD as the picture is not the best currently.

Sara Thornton loaded up the wrong BBC Weather logo for the SET forecast. I checked BBC London and she used the right one.

[Image: SET%20011023.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Nobby, Roger Darthwell