Pope Benedict Funeral UK Coverage

Is the funeral coverage going to be on BBC 1/BBC 2. Its on tommorw and normally the broadcasters update their listings for news specials but haven't yet

If it is occuring during the morning and the BBC News channel is covering it, it will appear on BBC Two. But I wouldn't really suspect that the funeral of a former pope warrants BBC One coverage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • ginnyfan

The funeral commences at 8:30am UK time tomorrow, so it is possible it start on Breakfast and maybe GMB. However for continuity of the service I suspect it will be on BBC News Channel simulcast on BBC2.

In France, it's on France 2 from 8.15am local time.

In Ireland there is live coverage of it on RTÉ 1 from 8.00 am GMT.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990

Understandable it will get full coverage in Ireland, I'd be surprised if it got continuous coverage here. I'm sure the news channels will dip in and out but its got the same level of interest here.

It's jot just the low Catholic population, he's not the current Catholic Pope, or even one who are much of a mark. It makes it a it much less important event

(04-01-2023, 01:57 PM)DTV Wrote:  If it is occuring during the morning and the BBC News channel is covering it, it will appear on BBC Two. But I wouldn't really suspect that the funeral of a former pope warrants BBC One coverage.
The funeral of the last Pope, John Paul II, was carried as a News Special complete with the then sombre titles. If memory serves, The Ten also did a quick turn around and had Huw flown out during the day to cover the announcement (but my memory is getting a bit ropey there).

ITV covered JPII's funeral live too. (I distinctly remember seeing some of it while in reception of STV in Cowcaddens, waiting for a job interview. Didn't get the job.)

One of the knock-on effects of that funeral was that it postponed Charles and Camilla's wedding by 24 hours - partly so that Charles could attend as a guest. Genome lists the wedding on both the afternoon of Friday 8th (from the Radio Times billing), presented by Huw and Sophie Raworth; and on Saturday 9th presented by Dermot Murnaghan and Sophie; which suggests that Huw was indeed in Rome.

[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • Matrix

From memory I think part of the reason why ITV covered Pope John Paul II’s funeral was that ITV on that day itself went on strike, which had been planned in advance (or at least before the Pope’s passing). So for ITV on that day they had GMTV as normal before handing over to ITN/ITV News Channel and I believe they showed The Flintstones film after the funeral to fill part of the gap where This Morning should have gone.

If I recall correctly, ITV showed John Paul's funeral on the same day of a strike at ITV that day (normal programs were cancelled anyway).

Edit: What nwtv2003 said above.