BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News

(29-02-2024, 05:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  There is a joke to be made about ITV having a Head of Comedy but they probably wouldn't commission it.

Much the same could apply to S4C, come to think of it.

They’ve done the odd sitcom here and there (‘Rybish’) but their infamous attempt at a Mrs Brown-esque show (‘Iha Sheelagh’) was so bad that comedy commissions have been just as sparing ever since.

Yes, I'm struggling to think even of historic (well 90s) Welsh language sitcoms.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales, RhysJR

(29-02-2024, 07:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, I'm struggling to think even of historic (well 90s) Welsh language sitcoms.

9 Tan 9? Licryis Olsorts? Porc Peis Bach? Ffarmwr Ffowc?

I remember they had their own version of 2DTV - CNex - for a few years, which wasn’t half bad (though it did require a knowledge of the then-mainstays of Welsh telly and radio to get it)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

Vaguely remember Porc Peis Bach but think I watched more of their drama output at the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales

(29-02-2024, 07:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, I'm struggling to think even of historic (well 90s) Welsh language sitcoms.

About the only thing I can think of, and that's 30 years old and I've never seen it.

en.wikipedia.org 

A new face sounds promising for S4C, hopefully they can put the last six months or so behind them and look to the future. It will be interesting to see how the shape of the channel develops. Drama seems quite strong (programmes ending up on Netflix and high quality co-productions with BBC, C4 etc.), sport and current affairs are well covered, and so is children's and soap opera. Light entertainment/comedy etc. seems the weakest point.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, lookoutwales

(29-02-2024, 08:20 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  A new face sounds promising for S4C, hopefully they can put the last six months or so behind them and look to the future. It will be interesting to see how the shape of the channel develops. Drama seems quite strong (programmes ending up on Netflix and high quality co-productions with BBC, C4 etc.), sport and current affairs are well covered, and so is children's and soap opera. Light entertainment/comedy etc. seems the weakest point.

Won’t forgive myself for forgetting C’mon Midffild…

I think they’ve been wise going for someone who has at least a pedigree in television production (and certainly, network television) rather than coaxing out of retirement someone like Doyle who had lots of experience in high places as a business executive but too little when it came to the media (despite insisting she had campaigned for the channel as a student)

Entertainment does need a shake up - as successful as Priodas / Proseict Pum Mil is, it’s been over-commissioned these past few years - likewise Sgwrs Dan y Lloer, Elin Fflur’s outdoor chat show and to a lesser extent, ‘Jonathan’, which has somehow stumbled on with a very tired format whenever the rugby internationals roll around.

Wouldn’t be too sad to see the back of Gogglebocs either - which kinda represents that Doyle era where they’ve been chasing the international market as a top priority.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

Back to the news (or lack of it) - and what in hindsight seemed a pretty poor judgement call on ITV Wales' part last night.

The whole of Wales at Six was devoted to the 40th anniversary of the miners' strike - and no one can deny that quite a lot of effort had gone into it.

Unfortunately, it was a fairly heavy news day with Wales' chief medical officer appearing at the UK Covid inquiry (which is meeting in Cardiff at the moment - quite a lot of revelations have emerged from that) and the minister responsible for implementing the 20mph speed limit (former political editor Lee Waters) announcing he was to resign after the new First Minister is elected.

What was pretty telling for me was there was a live cross to Adrian Masters at the Senedd - and you could instinctively tell how frustrated he was that instead of reporting on these stories, he was throwing over to an interview with Michael Heseltine about the legacy of the strike.

Surely it would have been better to spin off into a separate peak-time programme?

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR, Stockland Hillman, thePineapple

(05-03-2024, 11:27 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Back to the news (or lack of it) - and what in hindsight seemed a pretty poor judgement call on ITV Wales' part last night.

The whole of Wales at Six was devoted to the 40th anniversary of the miners' strike - and no one can deny that quite a lot of effort had gone into it.

Unfortunately, it was a fairly heavy news day with Wales' chief medical officer appearing at the UK Covid inquiry (which is meeting in Cardiff at the moment - quite a lot of revelations have emerged from that) and the minister responsible for implementing the 20mph speed limit (former political editor Lee Waters) announcing he was to resign after the new First Minister is elected.

What was pretty telling for me was there was a live cross to Adrian Masters at the Senedd - and you could instinctively tell how frustrated he was that instead of reporting on these stories, he was throwing over to an interview with Michael Heseltine about the legacy of the strike.

Surely it would have been better to spin off into a separate peak-time programme?

www.itv.com 

Completely agree. I was surprised there wasn't a news in brief segment at least because as you say, there was plenty of other news that should have been covered in depth. It feels like an occasion when BBC Wales Today could have flexed to produce an hour long programme to cover other stories alongside devoting plenty to the special edition's topic (like they did on the day of Mark Drakeford's resignation when they had over 20 minutes of other news). Sadly, that's not really possible for ITV Wales or anyone on ITV at large with live national news and Emmerdale immediately following.

Last night ended up having more Welsh current affairs on the national news with Rhys Williams doing a live on potential senior doctors strike action.

One other thing, I'm not sure if this was special to ITV Wales last night, but there was no ad break between the regional weather and the start of the national news.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • lookoutwales, Stockland Hillman

ITV Wales has been shockingly poor lately.

The covid enquiry revelations - from WhatsApp deletions, decision making, events, care homes have all been very sanitised and underplayed; the farmers protests had pseudo 'balance' inserted from the tiny number of Pro proposal farmers; the first minister candidate conflict of interest/massive donations saga; 20mph minister resignation. If its embarrassing to Welsh Labour its uncanny how little coverage it gets.

I've noticed they've been pushing hard recently on allegations surrounding the fire services in both North and South Wales, but can't help feel it's been at the expense of other stories, really.

By contrast, and I know the live pages aren't to everyone's taste, BBC Wales' coverage of the Covid inquiry has been very dependable and in-depth.