BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News

That's pretty poor really. It's frustrating when the English regions have to use the 6pm slot for something that should be a special but no excuse with Wales really, although there are less primetime slots available now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales, Stockland Hillman, UTVLifer

(05-03-2024, 01:42 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  I've noticed they've been pushing hard recently on allegations surrounding the fire services in both North and South Wales, but can't help feel it's been at the expense of other stories, really.

By contrast, and I know the live pages aren't to everyone's taste, BBC Wales' coverage of the Covid inquiry has been very dependable and in-depth.

Interesting you noticed the Fire service stuff. I saw one 'revelation' day which had Jonathan Hill doing a long opening piece to camera that told us how to feel and think about the report rather than letting the facts of the report speak for themselves. After this bizaree start that felt like a poundland recreation of an Arron Sorkin TV show, the report opened with 90% of the same words as the intro. After customary ITV Wales trademark awkward pause, of course.

Weird activism rather than journalism is a recurring perception I'm left with. Just awful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stockland Hillman's post:
  • UTVLifer

(05-03-2024, 11:27 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Back to the news (or lack of it) - and what in hindsight seemed a pretty poor judgement call on ITV Wales' part last night.

The whole of Wales at Six was devoted to the 40th anniversary of the miners' strike - and no one can deny that quite a lot of effort had gone into it.

Unfortunately, it was a fairly heavy news day with Wales' chief medical officer appearing at the UK Covid inquiry (which is meeting in Cardiff at the moment - quite a lot of revelations have emerged from that) and the minister responsible for implementing the 20mph speed limit (former political editor Lee Waters) announcing he was to resign after the new First Minister is elected.

What was pretty telling for me was there was a live cross to Adrian Masters at the Senedd - and you could instinctively tell how frustrated he was that instead of reporting on these stories, he was throwing over to an interview with Michael Heseltine about the legacy of the strike.

Surely it would have been better to spin off into a separate peak-time programme?

www.itv.com 

Despite the full programme being dedicated to it yesterday, I find it a bit strange there was another report looking back on the miner's strike today, with reporter Gwennan Campbell live from Rhondda Heritage Park - where last night's programme was anchored from.

You could argue they themselves answered the question of how they could of given ample coverage to current affairs and the anniversary by having a number of special reports across the week, rather than not covering yesterday's news stories.

(05-03-2024, 02:06 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Interesting you noticed the Fire service stuff. I saw one 'revelation' day which had Jonathan Hill doing a long opening piece to camera that told us how to feel and think about the report rather than letting the facts of the report speak for themselves. After this bizaree start that felt like a poundland recreation of an Arron Sorkin TV show, the report opened with 90% of the same words as the intro. After customary ITV Wales trademark awkward pause, of course.

Weird activism rather than journalism is a recurring perception I'm left with. Just awful.

I can see where you are coming from there. Though, what I will say about their reports on the fire services is that it has been one of the few times I've heard ITV Wales journalism getting referenced on BBC Wales News coverage and reaching the Senedd. So good on them for leading the way on a major story.

The second time this week ITV Wales at Six is anchored on location, thankfully this time it is covering the main news story of the day. McArthur Glen Bridgend shopping centre not the most obvious locations to be based for a budget-centric programme, though nice to see somewhere more out of the box than Westminster to present it from.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Superman1986

(22-11-2023, 10:04 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  BBC Wales Live using the BBC Millbank studio tonight. Looks quite nice.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

A bit less of an eye-ache than the background currently used at Central Square. The Westminster set-up taking inspiration from the graphics/logo rather than the Cardiff background.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

BBC Wales Live is once again coming from the BBC studio in Milbank this evening
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Superman1986

The Welsh Government has agreed to set a Welsh Broadcasting and Communications Advisory Body to advise and provide guidance on the broadcasting in Wales. This follows a report that returned a recommendation that this should happen in August.

Further reporting on this is currently a bit scarce (there's only the BBC Cymru Fyw article and the official statement from Dawn Bowden MS at the time of writing). There are other reports from BBC Wales over recent months suggesting this would not be implemented. Background matters on this is the future governance of S4C following the mess of recent months, as well as calls to devolve broadcasting to the Welsh Parliament.

www.bbc.co.uk 

www.gov.wales 

Ahead of a current English article, here is a report from last August on what was recommended.
www.bbc.co.uk 

Former Welsh Conservative MP and minister Guto Bebb has been appointed interim chair of S4C.

www.gov.uk 

The PR office at BBC Wales has only got round now to confirming Lucy Owen as Vorderman's permanent replacement for Saturday lunchtimes on Radio Wales (along with a few other programming tweaks, that have already been in place for a few weeks)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

(22-02-2024, 02:44 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Not sure how much of that results day schedule will transpire now as Sky Sports have unhelpfully selected Swansea City v. Cardiff City to kick-off at 12:30 that day, something you would imagine both stations would be keen to air live on all frequencies. And as soon as the football finishes, Wales v. Italy in the Six Nations kicks off at 14:15, so it won't be until three hours or so after the result that the schedules will be free of sport of national level importance.

Let's hope that the actual announcement happens during half-time of the South Wales derby or something.

A disappointment that there is no scheduled TV coverage to announce the next First Minister of Wales tomorrow. I get it's a Saturday, but feels poor. The News Channel can't be ruled out for having coverage, but the schedule has the usual filler at 11:30 and 13:30.

Bit of confusion in the radio schedules for when the announcement will be. Radio Cymru's scheduled half hour show is at 13:00, as was originally scheduled. Radio Wales on the other hand have a half hour show at 11:30. Not sure who will be correct and if it will change.

It looks like neither Radio Cymru or Radio Wales will be covering the South Wales Derby in depth, with both of them priorising build-up to the Wales v. Italy Six Nations match from 13:30 (as an aside, it is scheduled for Andrea Byrne to cover for Lucy Owen or Radio Wales again tomorrow).
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(15-03-2024, 02:25 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  It looks like neither Radio Cymru or Radio Wales will be covering the South Wales Derby in depth, with both of them priorising build-up to the Wales v. Italy Six Nations match from 13:30 (as an aside, it is scheduled for Andrea Byrne to cover for Lucy Owen or Radio Wales again tomorrow).

At a guess, FM and DAB in Cardiff and Swansea will probably opt out for commentary - they usually do.

As it happens, Rob Phillips (their chief football commentator) did a bit of derby build up while depping for Wynne this morning.

Bit ironic really that Andrea will be on RW when the leadership result is expected - ITV Wales are planning nowt beyond their mid-afternoon bulletin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR