BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News

Virtual set in use for Saturday's Wales Today.

[Image: 07_15%20-%2019_25_00%20-%20BBC%20Wales%2...10_505.jpg]

A rare clash with Wales Today on 7.25-7.30 and Newyddion from 7.15-7.30, which presumably got priority as the longer programme.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer

It's Royal Welsh Show week, which as per usual means live coverage on S4C and most of 'Wales Today' and 'Wales at Six' is typically presented from Llanelwedd.

ITV Wales actually own one of the buildings at the showground there and they always make a point of setting up a stand where you can meet presenters, have a go at reading the news etc - the sort of thing most ITV stations used to have at big county shows and events down the years.

twitter.com 

On air, they're opting out to do an hour-long Coast and Country special live at 8pm tonight, with their usual Friday 7pm slot for RWS highlights.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • LondonViewer, Superman1986

Looks like Wales Today has an augmented reality tower?

[Image: 07_31%20-%2013_30_00%20-%20BBC%20Wales%2...14_076.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • LDN, lookoutwales, Superman1986

(31-07-2023, 06:02 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Looks like Wales Today has an augmented reality tower?

Yes it's been used several times over the last 9 months or so, but not regularly.
[-] The following 2 users Like South's post:
  • LDN, London Lite

(31-07-2023, 06:02 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Looks like Wales Today has an augmented reality tower?

To be fair, it does the job -- I'm quite certain that most viewers are completely fooled by it. 

The angle of the logo doesn't quite look right to me... it feels like the monolith would have to be really wide for that perspective and relative width of logo to make any sense -- but it's not the end of the world.

But good lord, those 'metallic' reflections on the virtual 'frame'... I've seen more convincing and more elaborate metal effects in mid-'90s ClipArt. 

Also, I'm 99% sure that the place names in the cat's cradle are in Gill Sans, rather than Reith. Surprise! #BBCGill4eva
[-] The following 3 users Like LDN's post:
  • chaose, London Lite, thePineapple

Quite a decent effort from WT with the AR monolith. If the other regions had the resources it would make more sense to just use AR when required saving space and money.

The newsroom appears to be lit better than usual aswell.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • London Lite, Superman1986, thePineapple

In both cases, the AR tower only appeared in the opening shot for both the 1.30 and 6.30 programmes today.

Looks nice enough to me, even with the somewhat muted use on air.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • UTVLifer

(31-07-2023, 10:03 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  The newsroom appears to be lit better than usual aswell.
I think it's just the daylight through the windows helping to tilt the light balance slightly in favour of the newsroom over the studio. At this point, I've just come to the assumption that lighting (or not) the newsroom like that must have been a deliberate creative choice, because it is just so unusually poor that I can't believe any lighting director could have accidentally chosen such an odd balance.

Wales have used the AR monolith for the best part of the year, but somewhat infrequently - as essentially the studio is full of better screens anyway. That said even before the monolith they used an AR screen in their studio of screens at times anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer