BBC/ITV Wales/S4C News

(01-08-2023, 07:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wales have used the AR monolith for the best part of the year, but somewhat infrequently - as essentially the studio is full of better screens anyway.    That said even before the monolith they used an AR screen in their studio of screens at times anyway.

An example of a non-monolith AR screen just after the titles from Newyddion below (1'45" in). An AR element at then end of the Newyddion titles as well.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • London Lite

Ffeil ('File'), essentially S4C's version of Newsround, has been quietly axed after 28 years on air - down the years, its presenters and reporters included Owain Wyn Evans and Catrin Heledd.

Its replacement was launched last Monday, called Newyddion Ni ('Our News') - it now has a single presenter, Sion Williams, rather than a rotating team and originates from a decidedly dodgy-looking virtual set.

www.bbc.co.uk 

www.bbc.co.uk 

As per Ffeil, it now airs on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays rather than each weeknight.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR, Superman1986

Lucy Owen made her return to Wales Today this evening after a summer-long absence following emergency eye surgery.

x.com 

There was also an unusual ending to Wales at Six on Wednesday. Their studios had to be evacuated in the last minute or so of the programme so they couldn’t sign off - fortunately, the weather had been pre-recorded elsewhere and they simply went straight from that to a ‘slate’ of the title screen played over the closing theme.
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR, Superman1986

Does anyone have any idea what those x shapes are? Are they just different shaped lights or something more? Not something I've seen before on behind-the-scenes pictures of this studio.

twitter.com 

(20-11-2023, 04:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Does anyone have any idea what those x shapes are? Are they just different shaped lights or something more? Not something I've seen before on behind-the-scenes pictures of this studio.

twitter.com 

I'm not sure - zooming in on the 1st picture it looks like lights from the actual corridor outside the studio (i.e. on the other side of the glass wall) that, due to the angle the photo was taken at - are reflected in the glass desk top?

Hopefully someone with actual insider knowledge can clarify!
[-] The following 1 user Likes PJamo's post:
  • RhysJR

(20-11-2023, 04:13 PM)PJamo Wrote:  I'm not sure - zooming in on the 1st picture it looks like lights from the actual corridor outside the studio (i.e. on the other side of the glass wall) that, due to the angle the photo was taken at - are reflected in the glass desk top?

I can't claim to be an insider, but having seen other images of the inside of BBC Cardiff, they do have those cross-shaped lights throughout the building, and it's clear the image shows exactly what you describe.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • PJamo, RhysJR

(20-11-2023, 04:13 PM)PJamo Wrote:  I'm not sure - zooming in on the 1st picture it looks like lights from the actual corridor outside the studio (i.e. on the other side of the glass wall) that, due to the angle the photo was taken at - are reflected in the glass desk top?

From memory, they're just fancy lights (which seemed to be occupying a lot of time in replacing a 'bulb' when I was last there).
[-] The following 2 users Like Matrix's post:
  • PJamo, RhysJR

It does look like fancy lights. You can see them clearly in the report when they introduced their new HQ. 

youtu.be 

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • RhysJR, TJTSW

Shame they forgot to buy any ordinary stage lights for the chronically underlit newsroom backdrop.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(20-11-2023, 07:06 PM)DTV Wrote:  Shame they forgot to buy any ordinary stage lights for the chronically underlit newsroom backdrop.
The whole building looks very dark and miserable inside from what I’ve seen. I think, along with the stark lighting, all the grey and black everywhere, especially on the ceilings, gives it the ambience of a building under construction.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • DTV, interestednovice, TJTSW