Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK

(19-06-2023, 08:23 AM)WillPS Wrote:  The same thing that's brought about all these closures - decline in AM listenership and  steep rise in costs associated with serving that reducing audience.

But why now, and why just these stations? I can understand why the decision has been taken, but I'd have thought they'd have also announced the closure of some of the Smooth transmitters, as I doubt they'll be doing much better.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBI45's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(19-06-2023, 12:42 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  But why now, and why just these stations? I can understand why the decision has been taken, but I'd have thought they'd have also announced the closure of some of the Smooth transmitters, as I doubt they'll be doing much better.

It's worth noting that this issue isn't just affecting stations in the UK but also internationally. Bell Media in Canada has recently shuttered six of its AM radio stations:

www.cbc.ca 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dadeki's post:
  • BBI45

(19-06-2023, 12:42 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  But why now, and why just these stations? I can understand why the decision has been taken, but I'd have thought they'd have also announced the closure of some of the Smooth transmitters, as I doubt they'll be doing much better.

If you mean 'why not sooner' this is a process which has been underway for some years now. Direction of travel has been clear, just energy costs will have hastened the end of it.

If you mean 'why not all of them', there are other factors other than regulatory commitments - transmission contracts in particular. Also don't discount the possibility that some of these stations are still viable.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • BBI45

Global will also have the data from Rajar which tells them how many are listening on AM to each individual site. Now clearly they think there's still a tiny bit of traction left in the London and Manchester stations keeping their txs on or they have agreements with Arqiva that they'll keep to until the contract ends in those two markets.

Bauer kept 1161 on with a relay of Magic Radio (using a DAB receiver at the tx site) on when GHR gained a FM Nation franchise in Hull just to keep it ticking until the contract finished.

(19-06-2023, 10:08 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  Yes if it wasn't for the recent rapid rise in energy costs, I imagine a lot of these AM stations wouldn't be closing as soon (e.g. Absolute may have waited until the end of their licence instead of pulling it halfway).
How much of the energy costs increases, if any are passed onto the broadcaster though? Surely it's up to Arqiva to absorb those

Electricity costs are passed through ….see the London AM reference offer
Section 3.3.1 v
www.arqiva.com 

I rescind my previous remarks. Can't find an article on the Smooth Radio website, but Frequency Finder is claiming that the station will cease broadcasting on the following frequencies at the same time as Gold:

774 - Gloucestershire
828 - Bournemouth
936 - West Wiltshire
1152 - Norfolk & North East Suffolk
1152 - Plymouth
1161 - Swindon
1170 - Suffolk
1251 - West Suffolk
1359 / 1431 - Essex

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

(21-06-2023, 07:24 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Electricity costs are passed through ….see the London AM reference offer
Section 3.3.1 v
www.arqiva.com 
Interesting stuff. 
Though it might be different for the bigger/older contracts such as the BBCs and the INRs. I know the BBC have large overarching contracts covering multiple services and platforms

It’s not just the big boys turning off their AM transmitters.

twitter.com 

URY was one of the first services to be awarded a limited coverage FM licence, and they’re expected to be on the York SSDAB mux. To be honest though, I’m not sure how many students these days have an AM radio.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, Tim G

As an alumnus of their fellow student station across the Pennines in Lancaster, nice to see they've finally gone full time FM!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tim G's post:
  • Spencer