Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK

(01-06-2023, 06:12 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Isn't this similar to what happened with Teletext? They also handed back their licence early. In both cases, it's because of the tech being obsolete. Who listens to AM nowadays? It's all either FM or DAB now. Teletext was obsoleted by the Internet.

IIRC wasn't this more serious because it could have impacted things like subtitles. It'd be as if the BBC shut down 198 unilaterally and broke all the remaining non-smart electricity meters.

When Teletext ltd turned off their service …
There was a mass panic because the subtitles although being transmitted by the broadcasters
were not decodable by the viewers …..
So were they in breach of the requirement to subtitle ???
The broadcasters who had Ancillary text services had no problems !
As they had continuous teletext going out … Which (just about) kept the decoders happy.

After a few hours I think OFCOM told Teletext ltd to put something out
While the broadcasters sorted out what they should do.
I cannot remember what they did …..
but packet 8/25 or packets 30 or 31 are usually available in the inserters they were using
But the broadcasters were at fault !

There is /was not a decoder chipset in production from about 1980
Which can decode a compliant Teletext (EN 300-706 or 707 or 708) bitstream
That is not continuous.
So professional kit like DVB encoders (TXT and TXT to ST )invision monitors ,data bridges etc
all had means of decoding intermittent text ….

Actually I think something similar happened on Radio 4 LF when the electric signalling stopped due to,a fault
A particular model of flood siren went off …. As it was designed to do if it lost data.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • i.h

(01-06-2023, 07:38 PM)i.h Wrote:  IIRC wasn't this more serious because it could have impacted things like subtitles. It'd be as if the BBC shut down 198 unilaterally and broke all the remaining non-smart electricity meters.

Not all non-smart meters use the "teleswitch", even ignoring those which don't support E7/E10. Some have simple timers, indeed some people even claim to have meters which have drifted so far that they get peak energy at off peak prices.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

But the whole purpose of Teleswitching is to be able to Load shed/ load shift -
and with more embedded generation (e.g Domestic PV) which cannot be controlled centrally
the network is less stable - as happened in August 2019 -
www.bbc.co.uk 

So unlike the Flood warning which was getting less likely due to improved sea defences when it moved from Radio 4LF data
to mobile radio data - the need for Remote load switching in domestic premises is greater now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(02-06-2023, 09:29 AM)Technologist Wrote:  But the whole purpose of Teleswitching is to be able to Load shed/ load shift -
and with more embedded generation (e.g Domestic PV) which cannot be controlled centrally
the network is less stable  - as happened in August 2019 -
www.bbc.co.uk 

So unlike the Flood warning which was getting less likely due to improved sea defences when it moved from Radio 4LF data
to mobile radio data  - the need for Remote load switching in domestic premises is more needed.

So far as I know 'agile' or demand responsive tariffs have never been implemented in the UK without smart meters; domestically at least. Even then they're not allowed to use them to load shed in that fashion; they'd be subject to the same rota as everyone else.

chatps.com

It issue is to be able to disconnect a lot of load instantly across the country almost without anyone noticing....
as it may only be needed for say 15min to damp down the oscillation.... and bring up frequency
There is no other way of doing it .....
I'm sure that many are rejoicing that because of the lack of Smart meter Roll out they have been enjoying the soft sound of R4 Long wave!

Could Bauer have formally handed back the licence rather than shutting down without reference to ofcom? Would that have triggered some lengthy process?

i think there would need to be consultation .. which is why Teletext and Bauer just turned the service off.
After all they were loosing money hand over fist and no one was likely to want to take over the license.

I imagine commercial AM stations, other than talkSport perhaps, will be hurriedly culling their transmission contracts now. Listenership must be tiny.

Unless the local MW licenses are tied to FM ones?

chatps.com

There is a distinction that Teletext handed the licence back, Absolute had theirs revoked after failing to comply with the terms of it. I was wondering if the further avoided a fine that way.