TV in 3D, will it ever catch on?

Back in the early 1980s, ITV had a go at an experiment with 3D. The video below shows Michael Rodd introducing the film that was made in 3D.

3D TV Michael Rodd link TVS 5th December 1982 - YouTube

ITV only dabbled at this concept, indeed I think they tried again with something in the late 1980s, but have never tried it since. Sky had a go in the 2010s with their 3D channel, which was quietly axed. It's made me wonder, will 3D television ever become a thing in this country, or will it remain an occasional experiment?

I think, bar some exceptional leap in technology, 3D is relatively done as a novelty. It still gets rolled out at cinemas, but the TV technology was not and is not there, and audiences thought the idea sounded great, but quickly realised the reality was very different.

I remember when Sky were pushing 3D in pubs in the early 2010s. My overwhelming feeling was how wrecked my eyes were after watching two matches back to back. Nobody is asking for it back, it was a novelty and it’s done.

I forget my 10 year old 47 inch LG in the bedroom (was the lounge TV at one point) has 3D. I still have the glasses for it, i just forget it has it so i never use the 3D

Sky 3D was a thing.  Not any more.

According to this, there are only six films on Sky Q in 3D:
helpforum.sky.com 

Although of course you can "make" a 3D effect yourself as per this video:
www.youtube.com 

We still have a 10 year old 3D Television in our living room that was our main TV, but is now used for a PS5. I still like the idea, but the content just never got there, to a point where the demand passed into 'fad' territory. If they made more stuff available, it would have lasted longer. The obsession now is packing TV's with higher resolutions, thinner bezels, and surround sound speakers. Is that better? Is it less fun?

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(11-01-2023, 07:14 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Although of course you can "make" a 3D effect yourself as per this video:
www.youtube.com 

I think that's the same sort of "3D" that we recently saw on the BBC4 TOTP repeats.

I'll be honest I haven't been following the TOTP repeats (although I presume from the Mr Blobby mentions in the other thread we're past Christmas 1993) but I do know there was so-called "3D week" on the BBC in November 1993, because I made a post about it a few years ago at the blue place:
tvforum.uk 

(11-01-2023, 05:11 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  I forget my 10 year old 47 inch LG in the bedroom (was the lounge TV at one point) has 3D. I still have the glasses for it, i just forget it has it so i never use the 3D

Same here, our old main telly is now the one in the bedroom and is 3D capable but I don't think I've used it for that since shortly after I first got it and tried a couple of blu-rays that had 3D available.

There was a major push for 3D at the time from manufacturers, publishers and some broadcasters (mainly Sky but the BBC did some) and it wasn't a success to put it mildly, and that was at the height of the 3D boom in cinema. I can't see it making a comeback any time soon.

I think the main issue was having to wear the glasses to watch, which is a different proposition at home to at the cinema where you're only there for one thing. Especially bearing in mind that everyone else in the room has to wear them as well if they want to watch.

Interestingly, this week I've seen video billboards with adverts for Waterloo Road using that strange effect where they have 2 or 3 frames rapidly flashing back and forth with the camera moving left to right that creates a sort-of fake 3D effect without glasses. And makes you feel dizzy.

On the TOTP episodes, the "3D" content was the opening titles (where they'd replaced the usual background footage of people dancing to TOTP logos flying across the screen), some of the links (which were Tony Dortie either chromakeyed over the same background used on the titles, or in the studio with the camera sweeping round), the U2 song played over the charts and the Breakers, which used stock footage, and the Take That performance, which was a mix of a moving camera, shapes flying behind them, both chromakeyed and on a video wall, and CGI phones flying around the screen.