Thread Closed

Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years

Interesting that 'Popmaster' is going with him. I take it the BBC don't own the rights to elements or formats within a radio show?
[-] The following 2 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Rijowhi, UTVLifer

You just know vine will be next to go and that will be that.

(17-01-2023, 02:29 PM)James2001 Wrote:  What's happening to Mark Goodier? I enjoy listening to his GHR show.

Rumoured to be moving to breakfast.

(17-01-2023, 03:02 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Interesting that 'Popmaster' is going with him. I take it the BBC don't own the rights to elements or formats within a radio show?

PopMaster was never a BBC thing. The idea of PopMaster came from Ken and radio producer Phil Swern.
[-] The following 8 users Like James Vertigan's post:
  • DE88, DeMarkay, eyeTV, Happy2001, Jeff, London Lite, Rijowhi, UTVLifer

(17-01-2023, 03:09 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 02:29 PM)James2001 Wrote:  What's happening to Mark Goodier? I enjoy listening to his GHR show.

Rumoured to be moving to breakfast.

Another removal of use from the studios in St. John's Beacon then, unless they move Rossie elsewhere. As if they aren't practically dead already. It's sad going up there and just seeing empty studios.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DJ Dave

Presumably this will be going out in Scotland which is soon to rebrand which I think has its own network programming at that time at the moment. A good signing regardless but quite a good way of reducing the impact of removing more local voices.

It would be nice if he could still do Eurovision especially this year as it’s a home contest but unlikely. Guess Rylan, Scott and Paddy O’Connell would be in the running.

(17-01-2023, 02:12 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 02:05 PM)London Lite Wrote:  It's a win, win situation for both parties.

Radio 2 has been gradually evolving towards targeting the next group of middle aged listeners who were born in the late 70s and early 80s with presenters who were on Radio 1 in the 2000s  (Ball/Mills/Cox/Whiley), with Ken leaving, they can revamp the mid-morning slot as well.    When Mills replaced Steve Wright, the music policy has skewed towards the noughties.

Ken gets his final swansong on a commercial radio network and will bring a substantial amount of older listeners to Greatest Hits Radio.  He also market leads in Scotland currently on Radio 2, so will prop up the numbers on Bauer's classic hits stations north of the border which aren't exactly great on reach at the moment.  The highest being Clyde 2 on 172k.  All are rebranding to Greatest Hits as Ken starts in April.

It’s a risk through because it might just further increase the impression a lot of older people have that the BBC is ageist and obsessed with younger audiences.
No it doesn't and the audience for Radio 2 isn't exactly young.

(17-01-2023, 04:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 02:12 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  It’s a risk through because it might just further increase the impression a lot of older people have that the BBC is ageist and obsessed with younger audiences.
No it doesn't and the audience for Radio 2 isn't exactly young.
I actually think he’s right, that it’ll be perception rightly or wrongly from alienated listeners. It’s also likely how the press will report it.

At this stage a DAB Radio 2 Gold is almost needed to cater for those who are too old for Radio 2 but there isn’t an obvious BBC offering for, although it won’t be allowed to happen. This general direction is good news for Boom Radio though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Newshound47

(17-01-2023, 04:19 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 04:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  No it doesn't and the audience for Radio 2 isn't exactly young.
I actually think he’s right, that it’ll be perception rightly or wrongly from alienated listeners. It’s also likely how the press will report it.

At this stage DAB Radio 2 Gold is almost needed to cater for those who are too old for Radio 2 but there isn’t an obvious BBC offering for, although it won’t be allowed to happen. This general direction is good news for Boom Radio though.
To me it feels like society has developed a larger cultural age divide in terms of music and television than perhaps when people born in 1940’s-1970’s were younger because of so many more choices. That will obviously have an effect on making services appeal to a cross section of age groups. 20 years the top names in current chart music were often household names with a lot of people of all ages at least knowing the name. But that is not so much the case anymore - only a few current chart stars are well known across the ages.

Politics and current affairs have a different divide in terms of views but interest is there across the age groups and sport is not so affected by the age divide.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • Alessi, Rijowhi

(17-01-2023, 04:19 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 04:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  No it doesn't and the audience for Radio 2 isn't exactly young.

At this stage a DAB Radio 2 Gold is almost needed to cater for those who are too old for Radio 2 but there isn’t an obvious BBC offering for, although it won’t be allowed to happen. This general direction is good news for Boom Radio though.

Surely what Radio 2 is no different to what Radio 1 has done and make it more relevant to the current listeners.

The changes in music policy are just natural as time goes on. We're now at the point where music from the 2000s is considered nostalgic.
[-] The following 4 users Like XIII's post:
  • benzj, London Lite, Rijowhi, Toby brown
Thread Closed