Thread Closed

Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years

(04-04-2023, 02:30 PM)James2001 Wrote:  It's getting a bit tiring hearing people who moved over from Radio 2 to listen to Ken keep saying GHR should be playing more modern music too... one of the reasons I listen to GHR is because I don't have to put up with the likes of Ed Sheeran or Adele. Plenty of other stations out there for people who want a mix of old and new music, there's enough AC clone stations without turning GHR into one.
But then new music is one of the main things that a lot of those who've grown out of and become disenchanted with Radio 2 have a problem with. The feeling amongst many is that was one of the reasons Ken had had enough, although I always thought he embraced a lot of the new artists he played. 

I would disagree that there are a lot of stations that play both old and new music, apart from Pirate FM and some of the ILRs that aren't owned by Bauer and Global there aren't many. Most stations these days are either a specific genre or style, or they're targeting a particular age group. The nearest I've heard is GHR's sister network Hits Radio plays 'throwbacks' (horrible term) but they're few and far between and not that old. Radio 2 is quite a unique mix

If those complaining about the lack of new music on Greatest Hits prefer the music over Ken Bruce, then they'll return to Radio 2 which will continue to have millions of listeners and Vernon Kay will have one of the largest audiences in western Europe.

Bauer clearly have a strategy which is to provide a niche for Radio 2 listeners not happy with the 21st century pop playlisting among the classics, which they can sell listeners Premium and text to win competitions while for advertisers they get an audience they can target with their products.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Jeff, Roger Darthwell, Stooky Bill

No surprise that is a barrier as Ken had a great range of music old and new on his show, so cutting the playlist in half is going to be an issue for some - and a bonus for others.

And just like other radio shows GHR will have to evolve that playlist overtime to maintain it's audience and eventually stretch into the noughties at least you'd imagine. Indeed given the range of stations GHR is replaced I'm surprised there isn't some kind of "new music" requirement in the licences.

Modern song alert! A bonus question just featured a song from 2016 Wink

I think it's only right that Popmaster isn't shackled to three decades of music - would be very limiting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DavidWhitfield's post:
  • chris

Popmaster is coming to More4, made by 12 Yard Productions (ITV).   

www.channel4.com 

It will be six hour long episodes including a final so guess it may be 5 contestants an episode.   Whether that means just five regular rounds or if they add new elements to make it less repetitive remains to be seen.

Quote:The new televised PopMaster will honour the much loved music quiz with a few surprises thrown in. Players will compete to impress with their music knowledge, with each episode winner advancing to the grand final, where only one can be crowned overall champion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

I'm surprised it's taken this long to adapt it for television. Though I suppose now it's free from the BBC's shackles, more companies can have a crack at it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • DE88, Jeff, Roger Darthwell

I thought More4 had stopped commissioning shows a few years back?
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(06-04-2023, 12:08 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I thought More4 had stopped commissioning shows a few years back?
They’ve done a few documentary series in recent years though the last quiz show I remember them doing was that awful show with Jon Snow 3-4 years back.
[-] The following 2 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • Happy2001, London Lite

(06-04-2023, 12:08 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I thought More4 had stopped commissioning shows a few years back?

May have started up again, with a caveat:  www.channel4.com  - key phrase seems to be "And EVRYTHING [sic] that we commission for More4 must be repeatable on C4."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • London Lite
Thread Closed