Thread Closed

Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years

(19-07-2023, 04:37 PM)gottago Wrote:  I don’t listen to any radio at all so this might be the norm, but to me on the face of it, this seems like a really odd campaign for a music station to be pushing. Or is this sort of thing quite commonplace?

A bit more commonplace - at least at a local level - among some of Bauer's newsrooms in recent years.

Hits Radio Manchester (ex-Key 103), in particular, has been heavily involved in campaigns for 'Claire's Law' (domestic violence) and more recently, 'Justice for Joseph' (tougher sentences for dangerous drivers).

Likewise, Radio City has been pushing the 'Face the Family' campaign in the wake of the Olivia Pratt-Korbel murder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • gottago

(19-07-2023, 10:05 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I suspect had it been within the programme rather than the news bulletin then OFCOM wouldn't be investigating.

It was a story within the news on just two stations apparently, so I think saying it's against Ken Bruce is a bit iffy, as he wouldn't even have heard it.

Not surprisingly, Ken's GHR arrival - and its impact on Radio 2 - dominating the RAJAR headlines.

Already touting an audience of 3 million, though there are caveats as both Adam Bowie and Matt Deegan note in their excellent analysis pieces.

www.mattdeegan.com 

www.adambowie.com 

Most of the GHR licences are up - only half-a-dozen are down (quite notably in Liverpool, formerly Radio City 2)

radiotoday.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Happy2001

Ken is also fronting a new radio station available to all GHR Premium subscribers from tomorrow (Friday):

ontheradio.co.uk 

The benefit of RAJAR only reporting quarterly is new DJs get a few weeks to launch without the pressure of overnight figures but we've no idea of the trend over this quarter and how much impact having Gary Davies in the slot had too.

Don't panic is probably the message at R2 and if they've fewer but younger listeners it is job done. I do think Vernon is excellent though he needs to talk a little less over the music.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • lookoutwales

(03-08-2023, 07:17 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I do think Vernon is excellent though he needs to talk a little less over the music.
Steve Wright was an absolute devil for this and he didn't do too badly out of Radio 2.

Can probably count on one hand the number of times I heard him play a song all the way to the end uninterrupted.  Sleepy
[-] The following 3 users Like DavidWhitfield's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88, Toby brown

(03-08-2023, 07:57 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Steve Wright was an absolute devil for this and he didn't do too badly out of Radio 2.

Can probably count on one hand the number of times I heard him play a song all the way to the end uninterrupted.  Sleepy
I could live with him talking over the songs, but it was his singing over them that irritated me particularly.

Totally predictable the BBC would suffer a Ratings slump after forcing out such a popular figure. Very little ever actually gets ratings boosts when revamped to target new audiences.

(03-08-2023, 07:17 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  The benefit of RAJAR only reporting quarterly is new DJs get a few weeks to launch without the pressure of overnight figures but we've no idea of the trend over this quarter and how much impact having Gary Davies in the slot had too.

Don't panic is probably the message at R2 and if they've fewer but younger listeners it is job done.  I do think Vernon is excellent though he needs to talk a little less over the music.

It’s when it’s the older listeners who are needed to keep the license fee or pay a subscription past 2028.

Haven’t GHR basically swallowed up a lot of local stations in the past few years? How could they not add listeners?

Also if they’re stealing audience from Radio 2, why does the BBC need to make Radio 2? Doesn’t this demonstrate audiences are well served elsewhere? I don’t agree with this btw but it’s an interesting point to consider.
Thread Closed