Thread Closed

Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years

(17-01-2023, 04:30 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 04:19 PM)Jon Wrote:  I actually think he’s right, that it’ll be perception rightly or wrongly from alienated listeners. It’s also likely how the press will report it.

At this stage a DAB Radio 2 Gold is almost needed to cater for those who are too old for Radio 2 but there isn’t an obvious BBC offering for, although it won’t be allowed to happen. This general direction is good news for Boom Radio though.

Surely what Radio 2 is no different to what Radio 1 has done and make it more relevant to the current listeners.

The changes in music policy are just natural as time goes on. We're now at the point where music from the 2000s is considered nostalgic.
I’m not saying Radio 2 shouldn’t evolve, I’m also not saying the BBC should offer an alternative. 

I’m talking about how this move will be presented and by many perceived. 

I also imagine the audience group that’s being displaced this time is bigger than those from repositioning of years gone by with boomer generation and the trend for people living longer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Newshound47

(17-01-2023, 04:37 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 04:30 PM)XIII Wrote:  Surely what Radio 2 is no different to what Radio 1 has done and make it more relevant to the current listeners.

The changes in music policy are just natural as time goes on. We're now at the point where music from the 2000s is considered nostalgic.
I’m not saying Radio 2 shouldn’t evolve, I’m also not saying the BBC should offer an alternative. 

I’m talking about how this move will be presented and by many perceived. 

I also imagine the audience group that’s being displaced this time is bigger than those from repositioning of years gone by with boomer generation and the trend for people living longer.
www.dailymail.co.uk  This article being one such example of your point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Jon

They do need to make these changes. Radio 2 is supposed to appeal to 35-55 but I understand the audience has been getting older with the average age of listener now at 54.

It does feel like there should be a service between Radio 1 & 2, but the answer I guess is to lower the age profile at 2.

(17-01-2023, 05:23 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  They do need to make these changes. Radio 2 is supposed to appeal to 35-55 but I understand the audience has been getting older with the average age of listener now at 54.

It does feel like there should be a service between Radio 1 & 2, but the answer I guess is to lower the age profile at 2.

Sort of a Radio 1 and a Half. I just listen to Radio 6 Music, as I find that has the best balance of new stuff and older stuff.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

(17-01-2023, 05:23 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  They do need to make these changes. Radio 2 is supposed to appeal to 35-55 but I understand the audience has been getting older with the average age of listener now at 54.

Through then what is meant to appeal to the over 55’s? Particularly relevant with over 75’s now mostly having to pay license fees.

(17-01-2023, 03:09 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  You just know vine will be next to go and that will be that.
If only.

Steve Wright was absolutely due moving on. Ken is still a much finer broadcaster and moved much more with the times, which is why it's a shame he'll be stuck with a 20th century playlist at GHR. Heck, will Popmaster even acknowledge music past 2000? It's a dignified exit for all parties though - I don't think R2 had any intention to move Ken on at the moment, but the licence fee being what it was they would likely be looking to keep him on for less too had he stayed. That's the reality of funding at the BBC over the last decade, along with the publication of star salaries basically inviting the private sector to poach their stars.

For me OJ Borg is the best choice to replace him - someone who does very well overnight and when sitting in during the daytime shifts makes the shows feel like his own rather than just obviously hosting somebody elses format, and someone who potentially could have the slot for the next couple of decades too. He is a Radio 2 voice, familar to much of the audience and TBH there isn't anyone in the R1 Alumni at the moment more suited to it. I did think at one point Jo Whiley would end up at that slot but after the Drivetime disaster suspect she'd rather not take the risk.

The only other person within BBC Radio I'd be interested to see in the slot is Lauren Laverne.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • fanoftv, Tim G

(17-01-2023, 04:19 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 04:14 PM)XIII Wrote:  No it doesn't and the audience for Radio 2 isn't exactly young.
I actually think he’s right, that it’ll be perception rightly or wrongly from alienated listeners. It’s also likely how the press will report it.

At this stage a DAB Radio 2 Gold is almost needed to cater for those who are too old for Radio 2 but there isn’t an obvious BBC offering for, although it won’t be allowed to happen. This general direction is good news for Boom Radio though.

I don't understand this, why a DAB BBC Radio 2 Gold won't be allowed to happen? I mean many other broadcasters have such stations in their portfolio, just look at RTÉ Gold in Ireland, launched in 2008, focuses only on music from the 50s to the 2000s and it's one of RTÉ's most successful and beloved stations, heck when they announced the closure of the Irish DAB network due to budget cuts, the station (alongside all of the other RTÉ DAB Radio stations) was going to be closed with it, yet there was a huge outcry from listeners and the station was saved. If the BBC ever decides to make it's version of RTÉ Gold on DAB, I just don't understand why they would not be allowed

(17-01-2023, 06:01 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(17-01-2023, 04:19 PM)Jon Wrote:  I actually think he’s right, that it’ll be perception rightly or wrongly from alienated listeners. It’s also likely how the press will report it.

I don't understand this, why a DAB BBC Radio 2 Gold won't be allowed to happen? I mean many other broadcasters have such stations in their portfolio, just look at RTÉ Gold in Ireland, launched in 2008, focuses only on music from the 50s to the 2000s and it's one of RTÉ's most successful and beloved stations, heck when they announced the closure of the Irish DAB network due to budget cuts, the station (alongside all of the other RTÉ DAB Radio stations) was going to be closed with it, yet there was a huge outcry from listeners and the station was saved. If the BBC ever decides to make it's version of RTÉ Gold on DAB, I just don't understand why they would not be allowed
Costs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(17-01-2023, 06:01 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  

It's to do with protecting the commercial radio sector as any new BBC station would have to pass a test to see if it'd affect different commercial sectors.

A BBC 'Gold' station would affect the revenues of Bauer's Greatest Hits, Smooth and Gold from Global and the independent Boom Radio which has made real strides to accommodate older disenfranchised Radio 2 listeners.

Since 1996, Radio 2 has evolved with the times gradually which is why the likes of Steve Wright were introduced to the station to target former Radio 1 listeners as those who listened to the likes of Perry Como under former controller Frances Line were decreasing due to age.

This time round, older listeners have plenty of alternatives when R2 targets the next generation of listeners.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Jeff, Roger Darthwell

I wonder whether something along the lines of the Absolute decades stations all taking the same programme but with different music would fly as a way for them to keep multiple age groups happy?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • London Lite
Thread Closed