Thread Closed

Ken Bruce to leave BBC Radio 2 show after 31 years

(24-01-2023, 07:50 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(24-01-2023, 06:39 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  That makes the assumption that he wants to move into the commercial sector.

He did have a stint in the commercial sector between Radio 1 and Radio 2, at the fledgling Talk Radio
I remember hearing him on a networked weekend show on Severn Sound at the time too. I presume it was across the Chiltern group’s ‘The Hot FM’ stations.

(24-01-2023, 08:06 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(24-01-2023, 07:50 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  He did have a stint in the commercial sector between Radio 1 and Radio 2, at the fledgling Talk Radio
I remember hearing him on a networked weekend show on Severn Sound at the time too. I presume it was across the Chiltern group’s ‘The Hot FM’ stations.

He worked for GWR after they took over the Chiltern group. He had a weekend show and was a consultant for the company before joining Radio 2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Spencer

(24-01-2023, 08:22 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(24-01-2023, 08:06 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I remember hearing him on a networked weekend show on Severn Sound at the time too. I presume it was across the Chiltern group’s ‘The Hot FM’ stations.

He worked for GWR after they took over the Chiltern group.  He had a weekend show and was a consultant for the company before joining Radio 2.
Ah, that must be what I remember.

The Sun is tonight reporting that Vernon Kay has signed to take over from Ken Bruce.

www.thescottishsun.co.uk 

If true, I think that’s not a bad choice. He’s sounded quite decent when he’s been covering on Radio 2, and sounds at home and relaxed on the station.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • jaymadz, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

I'd have liked to have seen OJ Borg given a shot. Agree Vernon Kay is quite decent and anyone given the slot has a mountain to climb with the inevitable backlash anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(23-02-2023, 11:09 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'd have liked to have seen OJ Borg given a shot.  Agree Vernon Kay is quite decent and anyone given the slot has a mountain to climb with the inevitable backlash anyway.
No prizes for what OJ thinks about the news:

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes leewilliams's post:
  • Spencer

For reference:
i.kym-cdn.com 
Web Image

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

Officially confirmed:

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Happy2001, Roger Darthwell

It's down to timing more than anything else but I feel that swapping Scott and Vernon round might work better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sigma421's post:
  • Moz

Not a fan of Vernon myself, but as part of the current generational shift to accommodate Radio 1 listeners from the late 90s and noughties, it's a decent move.

Gary Davies will be covering the mid-morning show with a new pop quiz until Vernon starts in May.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Toby brown
Thread Closed