BBC/ITV North East News

And really is amazing the difference that having the depth in Newcastle of a big studio, proper lighting rig height, etc, makes to the how the set can be shot - so much more visually interesting and appealing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • Superman1986

I appreciate the economics of the ‘one size fits all’ approach to the regional sets, but when you see this, It does seem a shame that so much of the space in the studio is now unused.

x.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, DTV, James, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(07-02-2024, 11:03 PM)steve Wrote:  And really is amazing the difference that having the depth in Newcastle of a big studio, proper lighting rig height, etc, makes to the how the set can be shot - so much more visually interesting and appealing.

We’ve certainly never seen the silver corners on the edge of the set on Look North Leeds, they’d have to push the cameras through the wall into the next room in Leeds

(07-02-2024, 11:11 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I appreciate the economics of the ‘one size fits all’ approach to the regional sets, but when you see this, It does seem a shame that so much of the space in the studio is now unused.

Agreed, but I suppose it does make sense.

Interestingly though, I suppose apart from losing the desk on 'set left', the new studio sets are probably most like the old Newcastle set and it doesn't feel hugely smaller on screen for most of the time.

They also are using it in the same way (which is different from a lot of other regions) - as in sport headline with presenter at the start of bulletin by the tower too, and sports presenter and weather presenter sat on sofa at the end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • Spencer

Does look very good and they do benefit from a proper studio setup and the fact it’s in HD, I think it’s similar to South Today in terms of the ending of the show.

These sets definitely benefit from some depth of camera placement. When you look at Leeds, Birmingham Hull and TW where the cameras are squished against the wall of the studio and compare it to Newcastle and Southampton you can notice a difference - and it's not just the fact we're seeing it 'as intended' driven by the HD kit and in HD.

This plan view gives an idea of how the smaller studios manage the camera placement:
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 3 users Like Mike's post:
  • harshy, London Lite, thePineapple

Look North NE&C do utilise their presenters very well in the 1830 - despite being single headed; after the sport (which is almost nightly) they use both presenters to do links into the lighter stories/weather and close.

Some other regions who stick to one presenter throughout occasionally drag and lack that humble/friendly feel.

Although Look North went single headed many years ago it’s a good compromise which others should take on board after losing double headed presentation due to the cuts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes anglia99's post:
  • UTVLifer

A loss of the weather on the 0630 BBC Breakfast bulletin this morning.

twitter.com 

(28-02-2024, 02:36 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  A loss of the weather on the 0630 BBC Breakfast bulletin this morning.

twitter.com 

Back to London - that's turning the clocks back quite a lot
[-] The following 9 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, BN88, chaose, RhysJR, Spencer, Steve in Pudsey, Superman1986, thePineapple

Incredible special edition of Tyne Tees tonight reflecting on 40 years since the miner’s strike.

Bespoke opening titles and specially recorded continuity leading into it. Amy Lea and Rachel Bullock were live in Herrington Country Park.

Ian Payne has been noticeably absent from the programme for the last 2.5 months, wondering whether he has made a quiet departure.