Brookside to Stream on STV Player

It is why it is so important such archive material airs uncensored and uncut now - you cut that language out now and you're censoring the experiences of the victims of racist attitudes of the time rather than protecting them.

(29-03-2023, 10:49 PM)WillPS Wrote:  The whole Jonah/Lucy thing is a bit creepy isn't it?
Yep, absolutely and it's all a bit icky looking back on it now through 21st century eyes but it's also interesting how school girls dating older men went almost without comment and on Brookside at least seemingly encouraged by the parents. Nowadays people seem to treat teenagers as children until they're pretty much in their mid-20s but back then there was an expectation to be ready to adult as soon as you left school (generally at 16) and of course people married much younger then too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • TVGuy

I guess that's one thing about it being on streaming, it likely wouldn't have been left uncut if it was going out on broadcast television, even post watershed.

Pretty shocking language, but you're right that it should be left in. As I said though, my grandmother was still like it, well over 30 years after this was made, regularly had to hear her talking about the "c" girl on Strictly, or her suddenly announcing while watching Bargain Hunt that a team was made up of "c" people (I don't like typing the word out, even in context). Made me wince every time she did it, but I couldn't make her see that it was inappropriate language (or even why she's pointing it out anyway, it wasn't something that even registered with me until she pointed it out).
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Brekkie

Also, one thing about that backstage tour video where they show the alternate ending to the Jordache trial- it's hard to tell if it's one ending or actually two endings. First the judge announces Mandy being sentenced to 2 years and everyone in the courtroom is angry, then he says it's 2 years, suspended for three years and everyone cheers. It's not really clear if it's one ending, but people jumped in before the judge had finished, or if it's meant to be two separate ones.

Sometimes you also wonder the point of them filming these multiple endings, seeing as future episodes will have to be made in line with what the real ending is, but I guess it's a way to get some publicity, and possibly keep cast and crew members who only worked on the court scenes in the dark.

Today's new episodes makes us a grand total of... 2% of the way through the show's run Wink
  • Si-Co

They're actually getting through them quite quick then considering it's only been 2 months - just 98 months to go!

I know some others would rather they released more per week but 5 a week is a manageable pace, especially as you never know how long the deal will be - as things stand they could all be yanked off the platform in January.

(05-04-2023, 09:29 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Today's new episodes makes us a grand total of... 2% of the way through the show's run Wink

And b****r all's happened yet!! 😜

(05-04-2023, 01:03 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  
(05-04-2023, 09:29 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Today's new episodes makes us a grand total of... 2% of the way through the show's run Wink

And b****r all's happened yet!! 😜
That's a bit unfair - there has been at least two meetings of the Rate Payers Association.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Stuart

Does anyone else think the picture quality of the episodes have started to degrade (episodes 57 & 58)? If as if the lense is dirty, everything seems washed out and blurred, at first I thought it might be the time of year and the sun interfering, but it affects the night time shots too.

Edit: Seems to be back to normal for episode 59. Might have been down to whoever directed the episodes.

The opening titles and break captions in both of those episodes look fine, so it suggests that it's something that was done during the production of those two episodes, rather than anything to do with degredation of those tapes or something set up wrong during a more recent transfer.
  • chrisdafur

(06-04-2023, 10:07 AM)James2001 Wrote:  The opening titles and break captions in both of those episodes look fine, so it suggests that it's something that was done during the production of those two episodes, rather than anything to do with degredation of those tapes or something set up wrong during a more recent transfer.

Unless they've done similar to the 'Doctor Who restoration team' approach where they do a really good quality restoration of those reused elements and then swap the source material out each time? That would imply a level of 'remastering' which I simply don't believe is taking place however, like I said previously there have been very obvious video tape errors which could easily be massaged out but haven't been, so I'm quite certain nothing is happening other than digitisation.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com