The Pres Cafe Jingle Appreciation Thread

Seeing as this place covers both TV and Radio I spotted there wasn't a place for those of us who love a good jingle package. So I have remedied that.

Jingles are the lifeblood of how a station sounds, feels and states itself publicly. So which are strong and which are weak.

My first entry into the strong category is this package from IQ Beats for LBC. It is a strong package that has a sense of gravitas.

IQ Beats: LBC News

Any others. Over to you.

www.youtube.com 

I thought that the previous set of BBC Local Radio jingles were excellent, they had a sort of authoritive tone to them. The current set just don't sound as strong, and I'm not a huge fan of the "the sound of where we live" tagline forced on all the local stations.

Another one I'd like to hear again is The Breeze 107.7 from Weston-super-Mare, but there don't seem to be any recordings online and the station has since been folded into the Greatest Hits Radio network.

I would have to raise you the current LBC package from David Arnold, which I think takes that gravitas to a whole new level. The TOTH cut is very reminiscent of the original 5 Live package, in the way it crescendos and builds, and the way that any time it's faded up behind a contributor they instinctively know to get to the end of their sentence and shut up.

davidarnoldmusic.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DeMarkay

My favourite has to be the full Radio 2 Jeremy Vine 'telephone tones' jingle.

BBC Radio 2 - 2013-2015 Jeremy Vine (Version 1) - Ramp

wisebuddahjingles.com 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Ant, BBI45, Spencer

Two of my favourite Jingle packages for one of my favourite radio stations, GLR. First the launch package and then the one from 1994. I particularly like the 1 minute top of the hour theme at the end of both of these

soundcloud.com 

soundcloud.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • woodnorton

I also thought the 4pm and 5pm closing themes of the 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' show had a charm to them. Wish more radio shows had long themes.
www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

Ahhh. Steve Wright in the Afternoon. What would that show have been without its jingles?

A hell of a lot shorter.

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Spencer, Tim G, western

(01-02-2023, 06:47 PM)western Wrote:  I also thought the 4pm and 5pm closing themes of the 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' show had a charm to them. Wish more radio shows had long themes.
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

I've often wondered how much of the original R1 version of 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon'  including jingles and features were carried across to the R2 version.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheGregmeister's post:
  • western

(01-02-2023, 06:15 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I would have to raise you the current LBC package from David Arnold, which I think takes that gravitas to a whole new level. The TOTH cut is very reminiscent of the original 5 Live package, in the way it crescendos and builds, and the way that any time it's faded up behind a contributor they instinctively know to get to the end of their sentence and shut up.

davidarnoldmusic.com 

LBC have had some great packages over the years. I'd recommend a listen to The Audio Creator's chats with Chris Lowrie (Former Heather Jingles at LBC) which features loads of stuff you may not have heard before. And I particularly like the story that the current David Arnold TOTH ramp starts off with a nod to one of Jeff Wayne's  news jingles - it's a lovely touch.

www.theaudiocreator.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Isonstine's post:
  • London Lite, Stooky Bill

(01-02-2023, 06:57 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  
(01-02-2023, 06:47 PM)western Wrote:  I also thought the 4pm and 5pm closing themes of the 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon' show had a charm to them. Wish more radio shows had long themes.
www.youtube.com 
www.youtube.com 

I've often wondered how much of the original R1 version of 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon'  including jingles and features were carried across to the R2 version.
His iconic signature tune used throughout his time on Radio 2 was first used when he moved to breakfast on Radio 1 in the early 90s.