Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements

(01-05-2023, 08:52 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Don’t forget editorially Granada News did frequently report from North Wales, which ultimately remained the case well until the late 1990’s.

Funny to think that although Moel-Y-Parc is for north east Wales, there was a time it’s signal stretched very well into large chunks of Merseyside and Cheshire. It was a common complaint at DSO, but I don’t think it’s been the case since.

And much of what remains of "local" radio is "North West and North Wales", which generally speaking for those of us in North East Wales is more relevant than an all Wales service often dominated by news from the south.

(02-05-2023, 09:17 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(01-05-2023, 08:52 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Don’t forget editorially Granada News did frequently report from North Wales, which ultimately remained the case well until the late 1990’s.

Funny to think that although Moel-Y-Parc is for north east Wales, there was a time it’s signal stretched very well into large chunks of Merseyside and Cheshire. It was a common complaint at DSO, but I don’t think it’s been the case since.

And much of what remains of "local" radio is "North West and North Wales", which generally speaking for those of us in North East Wales is more relevant than an all Wales service often dominated by news from the south.
Which matches what's going on in Yorkshire with "Greatest Hits" consuming many of old guard which makes community radio stations like the one I present on even more important.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • chrisherald

(02-05-2023, 09:33 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  
(02-05-2023, 09:17 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And much of what remains of "local" radio is "North West and North Wales", which generally speaking for those of us in North East Wales is more relevant than an all Wales service often dominated by news from the south.
Which matches what's going on in Yorkshire with "Greatest Hits" consuming many of old guard which makes community radio stations like the one I present on even more important.
Not just Greatest Hits, they just did what Heart did a decade before amd GWR a decade before them

(03-05-2023, 10:03 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(02-05-2023, 09:33 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Which matches what's going on in Yorkshire with "Greatest Hits" consuming many of old guard which makes community radio stations like the one I present on even more important.
Not just Greatest Hits, they just did what Heart did a decade before amd GWR a decade before them

GWR largely kept local programming during the daytime peak and even added extra local opts to existing stations. (Chiltern was split with an additional Bedford station for example).

Although I’m pretty sure in the majority of cases GWR basically networked as much as they were allowed to. They were local until 7pm and networked during the evening till morning. I don’t think any weekday daytime programmes were allowed to networked back then. If they were you might have had some of these quasi national stations a lot sooner.

(03-05-2023, 02:01 PM)Jon Wrote:  Although I’m pretty sure in the majority of cases GWR basically networked as much as they were allowed to. They were local until 7pm and networked during the evening till morning. I don’t think any weekday daytime programmes were allowed to networked back then. If they were you might have had some of these quasi national stations a lot sooner.

They still did additional programming locally outside 7pm. Trent and Essex FM had local shows rather than Core Control and Late Night Love for a period with GCap introducing networking on those stations.

GWR gets a lot of unfair stick on forums for being too formatted and increasing networking but compared to today, they did a lot more on the local front with the Black Thunders and separate playlists which reflected local choice than networking everything.

Has it really only been 5 weeks since the final batch of BBC One HD English Regions appeared on Freeview? It now feels like it happened ages ago.

Has there been any word from ITV about if/when they might actually sodding well get around to introducing all remaining regions/sub-regions to ITV1 HD on Freeview?

HD viewers in Devizes, Penzance, and Sleaford are *still* getting news about Stoke-on-Trent. HD viewers in Bournemouth, Chipping Norton, and Great Yarmouth are *still* getting news about Ramsgate. HD viewers in Alston, Kelso, and Skegness are *still* getting news about Nantwich.

It has been far too many years that ITV1 HD has existed as a channel but without all the regional/sub-regional versions thereof on all platforms, just as was the case with BBC One HD. Ever since the latter *finally* got its proverbial finger out, every passing week/day/hour that ITV1 HD fails to do likewise feels like an eternity.

One can imagine that in recent weeks itv distribution have been more focussed in the great changes that D3&4
have been making ….
But as itv funded the renewal/ expansion of the PSB 3 mux, I agree that 8 months after it went on air,
the viewers should have seen the difference,
But things are moving …….
[-] The following 2 users Like Technologist's post:
  • Former Member 406, Keith

(31-05-2023, 06:52 AM)Technologist Wrote:  But things are moving …….
Aah... it sounds like you have either insider knowledge (which I appreciate that you may not be able to share any detail of here) or openly-available information that I've missed, that the outstanding ITV1 HD regions are on their way to Freeview soon-ish.

Thank goodness for that.

Hopefully, they'll be done by the end of the year / the autumn / the middle of next week / tomorrow morning / lunchtime today / 5 minutes ago.

(31-05-2023, 06:52 AM)Technologist Wrote:  One can imagine that in recent weeks itv distribution have been more focussed in the great changes that D3&4
have been making ….
An upgrade of D3&4 to DVB-T2 on the cards or can we only dream of another multiplex converting?

In regards to ITV1 HD as it stands it would make sense for them to add the missing English regions, at least where the equivalent was available on BBC. I imagine that it'll be advertisers who may push ITV into getting this done, as they may benefit (especially for regional specific ads).

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Former Member 406