Freeview PSB3 HD Regional Arrangements

Interesting. In the era of centralised coding and mux, there a lower cost to doing that vs creating a new mux for them back when HD launched.

I guess BT have copied that statement from somewhere, but it's also interesting to see them mention the CI considering they don't operate there...
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • interestednovice

The particular BTTV box I have reverts to being a Youview box on connecting to a different network to BT.

I would suggest the caption isn't BT specific.

This caption also popped up today...

twitter.com 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, dbl, Former Member 406, interestednovice, Ma76, SunburntRock89

Confirmation that a number of regions including London and E/W Midlands are switching on Freeview tomorrow with the others on 26 April. Also a mention of iPlayer switching at an unspecified point in the future.

As a Freeview viewer, this is very welcome news.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 6 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406, interestednovice, London Lite, Ma76, Spencer

Presumably the reason for the Channel Islands switching tomorrow is that it currently shares PSB3 with London with ITV1 London HD not broadcast on LCN 103.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76

BBC One HD showing BBC London News, from CP at least, a day early. EPG still ‘This is BBC One’.
[-] The following 5 users Like Aaron's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, London Lite, Ma76, Transmission

Interesting. It was definitely the red screen during Breakfast this morning.
[-] The following 3 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Ma76

That’s a bit like what happened with Satellite, with the final region to launch being BBC One South East HD and the feed actually being physically the same satellite stream that had been BBC One (Network) HD - by that point broadcasting to the SE only because all the other variants had already launched. In that case, they stopped blanking things with the red screen also a day early and EPG changes followed the next day. Presumably it’s some sort of preparation to ensure that the regionalisation is not “blocked” by the red screen accidentally, so they make certain technical changes early on purpose.

The “network” feed was always derived from BBC One London anyway, so it is not surprising in a way.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, London Lite, Ma76

Red screen on BBC One HD from Crystal Palace during the London evening bulletin.

(21-03-2023, 05:09 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  The “network” feed was always derived from BBC One London anyway, so it is not surprising in a way.
Not really sure what you mean

The England HD version of BBC One is a seperate variant to BBC One London and both are different to the 'network' version of BBC One. 

The latter carries some London news bulletins but is not derived from it, London opt out of it. 

The UK wide SD service 'nightlight' is essentially the same as the soon to be discontinued HD England, just with a different caption wording
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jimbo2022, Ma76, Stuart

(21-03-2023, 08:01 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Red screen on BBC One HD from Crystal Palace during the London evening bulletin.
Sounds like earlier on may have been a test to see if their new routing was working correctly - with London already getting separate routing to other regions, they may have broadcast the red screen to every other region but not London. Off-air observation could then confirm that everything was set up correctly.

Test completed successfully, and since the launch is actually tomorrow, perhaps they are now just leaving the slate up for all regions a few more times!

(21-03-2023, 08:46 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 05:09 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  The “network” feed was always derived from BBC One London anyway, so it is not surprising in a way.
Not really sure what you mean

The England HD version of BBC One is a seperate variant to BBC One London and both are different to the 'network' version of BBC One. 

The latter carries some London news bulletins but is not derived from it, London opt out of it. 

The UK wide SD service 'nightlight' is essentially the same as the soon to be discontinued HD England, just with a different caption wording
What I meant was that BBC One HD, previous to these technical changes, on Freeview in England was a “network” feed which filled most gaps with generic content but sometimes used London. This is how BBC One Network appears to work - when Breakfast is shown on the News Channel, London opts appear. So London is not, strictly speaking, “Network” but could be described as the “default” region. As such, if the “Network” version is not produced correctly (such as they forget to play out the “Coming up on the BBC News Channel” during the regional headlines opt) London content appears.

Where BBC One HD differed from Network itself was provision for things such as a rotating set of Sunday regional political programmes, to better allow it to serve people across England. This created a “BBC One England”, available only in HD, which was arguably not a true network feed although for practical purposes it was indistinguishable from one.

I think we really are on the same page but you perhaps disagree with some of the wording I’d used. I apologise if anything I wrote was confusing, I didn’t intend it to be. I think it’s just a difference of semantics.

I suppose what I had meant really was that BBC One HD (England) wasn’t conducted as a separate operation akin to BBC One Scotland HD - it was a copy of Network BBC One in HD with some slight differences, more akin to BBC English region differences than a whole different playout operation.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Aaron, chrisherald, London Lite, Ma76