Turkey & Syria Earthquake Coverage

Kimblerley Leonard is hosting rolling coverage in the Sky News studio, filling in on Mark Austin's usual slot - presumably he is en-route to the site of the earthquake. News 24, meanwhile, have just shown a report on the Grammys, followed by the weather. I daresay it's times like this when the merged channel will come in useful!
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Moz, Rolling News

CNNI ditched QMB today in favor of another hour of the earthquake coverage (although not sure if Quest was avaliable today). The additional hour, bearing the CNN Newsroom branding (and no longer Breaking News colors and idents, apart from the ticker), is anchored by Christina McFarlane, who also covered the previous hour for Isa.
[Image: image.png]

On a separate note, it seems that BBC and CNN remain with traditional spelling of Turkey while Al-Jazeera uses recently propelled "Turkiye".

Kay Burley has made her way to Turkey to broadcast her show from there tomorrow.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite, Newsroom

(06-02-2023, 11:45 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Kay Burley has made her way to Turkey to broadcast her show from there tomorrow.

twitter.com 

Credit where credit is due. Sky News have trumped every other network since this broke. The resources thrown at it are unrivalled at the moment. I'm not usually a Sky viewer but have stuck with it the most since the early hours of Monday morning.

It'll be interesting to see who turns up today in both Turkey and Syria.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Gibsy, Hellsloot, UTVLifer

Good to see Sky News doing what they do best - be the first and most urgent for breaking news.

(06-02-2023, 11:45 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Kay Burley has made her way to Turkey to broadcast her show from there tomorrow.

twitter.com 

DId she manage to get on air? I had a quick scan back and I only saw coverage from the studio with a guy whos name I don't know sorry!

(07-02-2023, 12:37 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  

twitter.com 

DId she manage to get on air? I had a quick scan back and I only saw coverage from the studio with a guy whos name I don't know sorry!

Unfortunately not. She'll probably pop up in coverage at some point today.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • aaron_scotland, bkman1990, UTVLifer

(07-02-2023, 12:48 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  
(07-02-2023, 12:37 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  DId she manage to get on air? I had a quick scan back and I only saw coverage from the studio with a guy whos name I don't know sorry!

Unfortunately not. She'll probably pop up in coverage at some point today.

She's on air now, has been since about 9.30 this morning.

CNNI now has Becky Anderson live in Gaziantep doing long live reports from the scene, while Max Foster is anchoring for 2 hours (8-10 AM ET) from London studio.
[Image: image.png]

UPD. Surprise at 10 AM ET, as although Max Foster announced CTW with Becky coming next, there is actually a simulcast of CNN/US Newsroom with Erica Hill and Jim Sciutto. Becky Anderson is live as well, but as a reporter on scene, not as an anchor. Apparently they don't have a separate reporter for CNN/US, so they have to simulcast.

UPD2. As soon as Becky finished her live report, CNNI switched to its own thing, with Christina McFarlane anchoring now in the studio (so no full-hour live show from Becky in Gaziantep).

Mark Austin presenting LIVE from Turkey. Special title card used for the titles.