Brit Awards

Technical issues mean we've now cut to an Adele performance from last year to fill time.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(11-02-2023, 11:37 PM)Josh Wrote:  Technical issues mean we've now cut to an Adele performance from last year to fill time.

This was such an odd moment. Almost felt too smooth and scripted to be a last minute addition. Especially given that what came after it was just another celeb chat and then the Best Album. I wondered if they were under running but my recording cut off the last performance so I’m guessing it’s not that. Maybe they had to drop a performance for some reason?

(12-02-2023, 12:44 AM)gottago Wrote:  
(11-02-2023, 11:37 PM)Josh Wrote:  Technical issues mean we've now cut to an Adele performance from last year to fill time.

This was such an odd moment. Almost felt too smooth and scripted to be a last minute addition. Especially given that what came after it was just another celeb chat and then the Best Album. I wondered if they were under running but my recording cut off the last performance so I’m guessing it’s not that. Maybe they had to drop a performance for some reason?

The programme finished 10 minutes later than billed

Surprised there’s not a thread about this.

What’s everyone think about it being on a Saturday night and live?

Think it’s been live before but originally was recorded the night before broadcast.

I think I’d prefer it on a Friday night to a Saturday.

Loved the set - very Tokyo - and the side area for the actual presentations with a separate stage was good.

But the big question of the night - what was the huge technical issue that made them repeat last years Adele performance?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(12-02-2023, 12:44 AM)gottago Wrote:  

Apparently due to issues trying to remove Sam Smith's staging. See the 'Most desperate attempt to fill airtime' category:
www.bbc.co.uk 

Edit: Moz has started a conversation about the Brits in the Programme forum so probably best to continue Brits conversation there so this thread can go back to ITV pres discussion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Earlie37's post:
  • Moz

(12-02-2023, 12:23 PM)Moz Wrote:  Surprised there’s not a thread about this.

What’s everyone think about it being on a Saturday night and live?

Think it’s been live before but originally was recorded the night before broadcast.

I think I’d prefer it on a Friday night to a Saturday.

Loved the set - very Tokyo - and the side area for the actual presentations with a separate stage was good.

But the big question of the night - what was the huge technical issue that made them repeat last years Adele performance?
Apparently due to issues trying to remove Sam Smith's staging. See the 'Most desperate attempt to fill airtime' category:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64614277

It's been live since 2007, that's not new. The Saturday night is though.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, DE88, GMc, Moz

(12-02-2023, 12:58 PM)James2001 Wrote:  It's been live since 2007, that's not new. The Saturday night is though.
By live was it completely live or on a 5 minute delay? Whilst there were a few audio dips to mute certain things if it was on a couple minutes delay it wasn't perfect, suggesting it was real time censoring. Also heard one swear word uncensored pre-watershed.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

They made a big deal of it going live when it did, although in TV terms the definition extends to a 15 minute delay. Always find it ironic the US cope with a 7 second delay when their rules on profanity are so much stricter - here a pre-watershed slip up is unlikely to cause major offence.

In the years before it was live I think it was filmed on the same night and broadcast a couple of hours laters.

Most years it was shown later on the same night, but there were a couple of years (the last 2 before it went back to being live in 2005 and 2006 it definitely was) where they didn't show it until the following day. So you'd already seen all the winners all over the papers, internet and TV.

I'm sure in 1997 it was the following night too, as I remember the media going nuts over Geri's dress, and we'd spent all day hearing about it before we could see it (and we never saw her boobs slipping out when she collected an award, despite hearing all about it).