BBC iPlayer

there was also a peer2peer element if I remember correctly, which got the ISPs all steamed up because they hadn't built their networks on the assumption that people would be uploading huge amounts of data, and in an era of data caps this might have caused users to find themselves without internet access / running up bills

(14-03-2024, 12:44 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I completely agree with the need for the Signed versions of programmes being available on iPlayer, but I wish they would identify them clearly. Broadcasters are responsible for providing this information for EPGs.

I use iPlayer on my Sky STB as it downloads rather than streams. Obviously I pick the HD version of a programme, but increasingly now that is the signed version for some reason.

I wanted to watch a particular episode of Doctor Who. The HD one is signed, as is the first SD version. I had to do three downloads before I found one minus the midget in the corner. None of the 3 options were identified as signed in the programme data.

One of the reasons you end up with signed versions is because they were the most recent broadcast and the standard version has dropped off its allotted time on iPlayer (available for six months, but the signed version was shown six days later late at night).

With something like Doctor Who however where the entire library is permanently available it should be done better, such as a switch against a single episode.

The podcast versions of the 60th were duff for this too. I thought I could turn it on like an audio commentary track but it was a totally different show and quite hidden.

This is just a short quote from a longer discussion, but quite something to say for a senior BBC figure.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, London Lite, Ma76

They are still only a few programmes that get 50% or more of it’s viewers non linear.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • AJB39

The key word is “channel”….the BBC has not been commissioning for channels
For a year or so …..
although if you are commissioning just programmes , it does leave how you are going to distribute them as an open question.

Through most programmes are crated with either BbC1 or BBC2 in mind. They not making high profile dramas and then deciding after production if that is for BBC1 or BBC2 even if things are not being announced in the initial press release for a channel anymore.

(20-03-2024, 12:09 PM)Technologist Wrote:  The key word is “channel”….the BBC has not been commissioning for channels
For a year or so …..
although if you are commissioning just programmes , it does leave how you are going to distribute them as an open question.

And let's face it they're not commissioning Gladiators not knowing whether it'll end up on BBC1 or BBC Parliament.
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Nobby, RhysJR

(20-03-2024, 02:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And let's face it they're not commissioning Gladiators not knowing whether it'll end up on BBC1 or BBC Parliament.

Though I bet a version with some politicians facing Duel or Gauntlet could do quite well...
[-] The following 5 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, Brekkie, ethanjbrady, Jeff

Loads of Meghan Markle content becoming available on the BBC seems like a tabloid content generating fantasy come true.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Happy2001, Ma76

The Daily Mail will be delighted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ACTV's post:
  • callumwatchestelly